|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it

Default Last game you finished, tell us about it

January 1st, 2008, 19:26
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Call of Duty 4 10/10
When I started to hear how much everyone loved this game I decided I had to take a look.
I really enjoyed it, giving it 4.5 despite it being only about that many hours long MP is great as well - wonderful choice of shooters available this year!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 1st, 2008, 19:54
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I really enjoyed it, giving it 4.5 despite it being only about that many hours long MP is great as well - wonderful choice of shooters available this year!
I tried to be critical and find things I did not like with the game, but I could not. I cannot say the games length was a turnoff to me either. I look at Call of Duty 4 and I see a game with 20 levels with variated gameplay. A game like Halo took me longer to finish but it was essentially the same over and over again. Having just played FFVII-FFXII that took two weeks each of which most of it is xp grinding, some games that offer a few days intense experience is just what I needed right now.
Last edited by JemyM; January 1st, 2008 at 20:14.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

January 1st, 2008, 20:56
So yet another absolutely flawless game?

Wish I could find so many.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2008, 00:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
So yet another absolutely flawless game?
Wish I could find so many.
Read more and play more. CoD4 have received numerous game of the year awards and is on gamestats.com rated #3 PC game based on an average score on online reviews. It's well worth it.

http://www.gamestats.com/objects/902…/articles.html

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

January 2nd, 2008, 01:29
Well of course, how could I have been so foolish? If gamestats.com says it is so, then it must be true!

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2008, 02:12
You two need to have a Quake deathmatch and be done with it. Jemy generally gives generous scores and really likes Final Fantasy; JDR hates FF and would give the Sistine Chapel an 8.5. No biggie. Different strokes. Moving on.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 2nd, 2008, 02:14
Generous would be an understatement, how many perfect games exist in this world?

Btw: I don't hate FF, I used to be a huge Final Fantasy fan up until a certain point in the series.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2008, 02:29
Generous would be an understatement, how many perfect games exist in this world?
And how many perfect scores have I given? I have spent the last year playing mostly games that already had a major amount of positive reviews and many fans, frequently refered to as "best ever made". Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII and the Resident Evil Remake deserves a 10/10.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

January 2nd, 2008, 02:30
If you say so.

I've played 2 out of those 3 games and wouldn't have given them anywhere near a perfect 10.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2008, 02:41
You two need to have a Quake deathmatch and be done with it. Jemy generally gives generous scores, made "safe" game selections this year, and really likes Final Fantasy; JDR is a fallen FF fanboi and would give the Sistine Chapel an 8.0. No biggie. Different strokes. Moving on.

(better?)

Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 2nd, 2008, 02:48
I actually managed to finish 42 games 2007, including indie games like Penumbra and Avernum and old games like Sanitarium and Phantasmagoria 1 & 2.
The Suffering 2, Halo, Cold Fear, Infernal and Perseus Mandate in the bottom and Titan Quest was so boring that I gave up on the game in the last levels… I had not reached that far if it wasn't a game me and my GF played together and eventually I begged her that we should stop so i could uninstall the game. And I couldn't get beyond the first levels of Silverfall.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

January 2nd, 2008, 02:49
Well, without attempting to offend anyone I must admit that I would much rather be in JemyM's shoes than I JDR13's: Awarding anything a great review/score generally means that the person thoroughly enjoyed the experience … nudge, nudge, know what I mean? say no more

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic

January 2nd, 2008, 02:53
Originally Posted by fatBastard() View Post
Well, without attempting to offend anyone I must admit that I would much rather be in JemyM's shoes than I JDR13's: Awarding anything a great review/score generally means that the person thoroughly enjoyed the experience … nudge, nudge, know what I mean? say no more

Or it could mean that they're just more easily impressed.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2008, 03:04
Or it could mean that they're just more easily impressed.
Or maybe you just have forgotten how to appreciate a good game and see how genious talent makes a game different than rushed crap.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

January 2nd, 2008, 03:17
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Or maybe you just have forgotten how to appreciate a good game and see how genious talent makes a game different than rushed crap.
Errr, you lost me on that one.

When were we talking about rushed crap?

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2008, 03:33
Gawd, Mrs dte is more reasonable when she PMSing…

Assume there's a curve on the grading scale, gents. Lazy Wayne and C Mallory make adjustments at the end of the quarter so everyone gets a fair f-ing (sorry, Rose-Hulman joke). It all works out in the end. MOVING ON, THEN.

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 2nd, 2008, 03:46
Calm down dteowner, just some friendly banter that's all.

So what are you playing now that you finished X2 yet again? Also, how long did X2 take you to finish in real time hours?

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2008, 04:07
Actually, that's the first time I truly finished X2. I'd been to the final battle in previous runs, but this was the first time I won. As I mentioned elsewhere, I didn't do anywhere near the amount of economy work this time thru and I remembered all the story points so my run was pretty quick. Probably as close to powergaming as I go. I'd say 40 hours real world time.

I spent a long time staring at the post-it where I've written down my "waiting on the shelf / buy sometime soon" game list (10 on the shelf, 2 buys, 2 possible buys). After all the pointless internal debate, I installed Dungeon Siege 2 with the expansion pack. Figured it was a good "lazy" game, since I seem to keep talking about being lazy every other post. I finished DS2 (all 3 rounds) a while back, but got burned out just as the expansion pack came out. Thought I'd go back and knock out the expansion, but I've got to do a round of the base game to lead into the expansion. I suppose I could use one of the pre-made characters and jump right into the expansion, but that's just not my style. Neither of my 2 restarts have even made it out of the tutorial, so I'm not sure I'm going to stick with it.

I really hate how much I struggle with picking a game and getting going. Once I achieve "critical mass", I generally have a good time, but I flail around so much getting there.

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 2nd, 2008, 04:11
Wow, X2 took you 40 hours without doing most of the sidequest? That's one hell of a long game!

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2008, 04:21
I had a run going when I was working the contract job in Texas (Mrs dte and the Wild Dogs were still in Indy, so I had lots of time on my hands). There are no side quests in X2, but the story has a couple "pauses" in it where you're supposed to go into sandbox mode. How long you stay in sandbox mode before starting the story back up is up to you. Anyway, I got pretty serious about building factories and trading loops. I had at least 100 real world hours in that run and I never completed the final mission. My old rig was chugging pretty hard keeping track of all those ships and factories.

Thinking about it, there's really a fair bit of idle time in the game. Even with SETA, you can still spend a full minute just flying from one station to the next. If you do manual remote trading, you can fill that minute up easily, but once you get autotraders set up, the game gets a little passive. Good for a lazy gamer…

Last edited by dteowner; January 2nd, 2008 at 04:26. Reason: added paragraph 2

dteowner

Shoegazer

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it