|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Default The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

January 24th, 2008, 05:19
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
In Extremo - Herr Mannelig
And this is the version you see in Gothic 1: Ingame Version

The language seems to be old swedish.
That's just….. weird….

I mean, it's like NPC's from the first Gothic came alive and started jamming with a heavy metal attitude but still stuck with their medieval instruments. I think I saw this video before in a bizzarre dream I had after playing Gothic for 26 hours straight.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

January 24th, 2008, 08:57
That was cool. As songs with game footage go, much better than this one, which always cracks me up…

Really popped in to see if anyone could fill me in on this lady
Is the Jim White on this album the same Jim White who sings about Jesus and his MotorHome? (c.u. I'm lookin at you…)
From the little I can hear on the samples, the album sounds intriguing.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

January 24th, 2008, 16:47
cat power is supposedly pretty talented and well liked by critics and fans. she actually did a track on faithless's last album. and since jim white spends a lot of time in the uk i thought that he might be involved though the only side project/band i was aware he was in is chainsaw of life. after checking, its not him as the dirty three which that jim white is the drummer for is from australia.

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq

January 24th, 2008, 17:39
Cleaning out the closet this weekend I was digging through my old records … and found something I haven't listened to in 20 years, amazed that I had forgotten it for so long …

Archie Shepp - Four for Trane

It is amazing that for someone like Shepp his best stuff would essentially be a tribute album … but it really isn't. It is actually a re-imagining of some of Trane's classics in an idiom full of free-jazz, post modern swing (ala Mingus), hard bop and more, with Roswell Rudd's sublime arrangements …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 24th, 2008, 17:50
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
That was cool. As songs with game footage go, much better than this one, which always cracks me up…
Three scantily clad female avatars playing an "air" guitar. What's not to love??

What game was that? It must have been a mmorpg because it looks completely unfamiliar to me. I don't do mmo's. The animations were more than a little weird - I couldn't tell if the male characters were supposed to be fighting or playing hopscotch!

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

January 24th, 2008, 17:53
In Extremo's a pretty trippy experience. I remember checking them out in the middle of my most Gothic-intensive gaming days, and this video of them doing SOM's "This Corrosion" had me reeling. They look just like a bunch of weird Gothic characters, all rockin out to some Sister's tune, it's totally bizarre for someone who's played the game.

In Extremo - Vollmond would prolly be the song/video that I'd most likely say that I like, I think it's pretty cool in a 80's metal vid sort of way, tho i have no clue what theyre saying….

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

January 24th, 2008, 18:02
That's so awesome! A heavy metal dude playing the harp! That's a good song actually..

So let me get this straight - is the lead singer Xardas??

Are the PB guys just huge In Extremo fans and decided to make a game based on the musicians' characters?! - There it is, the grandest secret of all behind the Gothic series has just been solved!!!

As a follow up, I've had a chance to give After Forever's self-titled a few spins all the way through. I have to say it's not as strong as Invisible Circles. There are some spots of brilliance, but something about many of the songs just doesn't flow right at times.

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

January 24th, 2008, 18:22
Havent checked out the new AF, my musical tastes have actually regressed back to my early pre-metal high school days, all Ive been listening to lately is The Smiths, the Cure, U2 and the like. Ive gotten a horrible suprise outbreak of acne, and I feel like growing hair long in the front just so I can comb it down over one eye.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

January 24th, 2008, 22:06
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post

In Extremo - Vollmond would prolly be the song/video that I'd most likely say that I like, I think it's pretty cool in a 80's metal vid sort of way, tho i have no clue what theyre saying….
Could fit in my with my German lessons—nice crossbows.

Jabberwocky wrote:
Three scantily clad female avatars playing an "air" guitar. What's not to love??

What game was that? It must have been a mmorpg because it looks completely unfamiliar to me. I don't do mmo's. ..
Guild Wars or something, I think—I don't do MMO's either. I found that while doing a search for some Irish folk music( Clancy Bros,The Dubliners, etc) and ended up with Metallica and the Pogues. YouTube-The Adventure.

magerette

Hedgewitch

January 25th, 2008, 06:32
Originally Posted by curiously undead View Post
cat power is supposedly pretty talented and well liked by critics and fans. she actually did a track on faithless's last album. and since jim white spends a lot of time in the uk i thought that he might be involved though the only side project/band i was aware he was in is chainsaw of life. after checking, its not him as the dirty three which that jim white is the drummer for is from australia.
c.u., I missed your quiet little post back there. Thanks for the info. I found some stuff of hers on YouTube—she can definitely sing( and play the guitar) and seems a nice unspoiled, non-superstar type of personality, but from the two or three songs I sampled, she seems to like to make one line of a song go the longest distance possible at the slowest speed. I usually like a little tighter band, so since Jin White is not the proper Jim White, I'll probably pass.

magerette

Hedgewitch

January 25th, 2008, 08:39
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
Only to avoid misunderstandings:

You can really see this when playing Gothic, in the old camp at certain times - it is not made up by players.

Edit:may be only in the German version?
Yes, they had to take it out in the English language versions due to copyright reaons. But there's a trick - if you MARVIN in all the In Extremo guys and the announcer, you can see the In Extremo Old Camp concert in the English language versions, too.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

Spam Fighter
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 27th, 2008, 09:05
Never again will you be able to listen to Nightwish's 'Wishmaster' the way you're supposed to…. not after seeing this video.

Semper HiFi!
Last edited by Jaz; January 27th, 2008 at 09:11.

Jaz

Spam Fighter
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 28th, 2008, 03:44
Beautiful dreamy stuff today:
"Digitaria" by Titania

edit- should have watched Jazzy's link before posting. You owe me a monitor, Jazzy. I was having a good time with it, but the guy watching his watch during the guitar solo caused me to spray Pepsi.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 28th, 2008, 06:56
I'll never figure the words out now. "Maiden elf calling with her cunning soap…." sounds better than most lyrics anyway.

magerette

Hedgewitch

January 28th, 2008, 07:24
'Steven Seagull' is my favorite part of the lyrics.
@dte: the watch guy made me LOL, too. As for the monitor: you might try using a towel or a cleaning pad.

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

Spam Fighter
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 28th, 2008, 09:41
Drone on the A String

Statues wouldn't be better if they could move. Model airplanes would not be better if they were the same size as airplanes.

abbaon

Daft as a daisy

January 28th, 2008, 22:59
Sometimes, the eighties just won't die..especially after a little wine

Could you Be Loved?

Out of the darkness there must come out the light…

magerette

Hedgewitch

January 28th, 2008, 23:31
figlio perduto - sarah brightman

freakin Zardoz got this song in my head, and I cant get it out, so I just gave in and put it on

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

January 29th, 2008, 00:09
My fingers hurt just watching that, abbaon. Mike, make sure you give that clip a watch—you should be able to appreciate the talent.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?
Last edited by dteowner; January 29th, 2008 at 01:17.

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 29th, 2008, 01:53
@ Jaz: LOL LOL. Thanks for ruining a great Nightwish song!

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread