|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gamasutra - History of Gaming Platforms: The Apple II

Default Gamasutra - History of Gaming Platforms: The Apple II

February 4th, 2008, 18:34
Gamasutra brings us the next chapter in their ongoing history of gaming platforms, this time taking a detailed look, complete with some classic old games' screens, at the development and use of the Apple II:
The Apple II is one of the most successful, influential and long-lived home computers of all time. Perhaps more than any other machine, it moved the home computer from the worktable of the hobbyist to the living room of the typical American family. The Apple series debuted in 1977 and became a definitive home computer after the introduction of the Disk II drive in 1978. The "Platinum" IIe, the last of the Apple II line, was in production until November 1993. For countless enthusiasts and professionals thriving in the industry today, the adventure began with their first bite of Apple…
… Since the Apple II was a prime platform for over a decade, it's hardly surprising that thousands of games were produced for it. Although a haven for strategy, role-playing, and adventure software, the Apple II's massive game library was hardly limited to these categories. Genre-defining releases came from a full range of famous developers and publishers, including Broderbund, Electronic Arts, Infocom, Interplay, Origin, and SSI.
Mystery House (1980) by On-line Systems (later, Sierra) was the first commercial text adventure with graphics. The company's later Time Zone (1982) was one of the first true epic games, spanning six double-sided disks and featuring 1500 screens to explore. Although Richard Garriott released his Akalabeth: World of Doom (1980) first, his second role-playing game, Ultima (1981), set the stage for one of the most storied franchises in gaming.
Sir-Tech's Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981) set the standard for the role-playing dungeon crawl and still spawns sequels. Castle Wolfenstein (Muse, 1981) was an exciting strategy arcade adventure that featured crude, but effective speech. Broderbund's Choplifter (1982) arcade game featured a unique two-axis control scheme for independent control of the helicopter's direction and vertical movement.
More information.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
Last edited by magerette; February 4th, 2008 at 19:39. Reason: sp

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 4th, 2008, 18:34
Yes, my years of Apple ][+ are definitely a source of nostalgia … I barely played RPG's, only doing a little adventure (I know, I know, the things I missed …). Castle Wolfenstein was my big addiction on that system … ah the good ol' days …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 4th, 2008, 18:46
Ahh, yes. The '80's Apple was one of the best gaming platforms ever. I spent many many hours on Lode Runner, Captain Goodnight, and Karateka.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

February 4th, 2008, 19:29
Definitely … I was so thrilled when I could play a Karateka clone on a PalmOS PDA … also loved Lode Runner and a 'Balderdash' clone (Boulderdoush) … and others …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 4th, 2008, 19:43
One of my favorite games of all time was Seven Cities of Gold. Excellent game. Very not PC though. Probably couldn't get made today.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

February 5th, 2008, 16:29
I had a C64, but every one of my friends had an Apple IIc or e. Had some good times on those machines, but I was always annoyed I couldn't trade games with them!

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

February 8th, 2008, 22:46
That was a wonderful nostalgia trip for me, thanks for the heads up. My Apple ][+ was my favorite gaming system ever and I play my favorites to this day on emulators. I even have my ][+ (later converted to the ][e internals) and a ][e in storage, I just couldn't let them go. All hail The Woz.

Guhndahb

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gamasutra - History of Gaming Platforms: The Apple II