|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Decadence - Interview @ Gnomes' Lair

Default Age of Decadence - Interview @ Gnomes' Lair

February 16th, 2008, 03:40
The Random Gnomes' Random Lair fired off 10 questions to Vince D. Weller about The Age of Decadence:
9. How about the available quests?

Well, they are much more better than the unavailable quests, I'll tell you that much. We have over 100 quests (104 to be specific, but that could change), but your choices will filter it down to about 60 quests per playthrough. I'm glad to report that we have 0 FedEx quests and 0 "kill x monsters/Bring me x items" quests.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 16th, 2008, 03:40
Nothing wrong with Fedex or kill monster quests if they're well written (say Lord of the Rings and Beowulf). The only other type of quest I can think of off the top of my head is some variation of 'solve puzzle'.

V7

Keeper of the Watch

February 16th, 2008, 06:29
Despite the terrible grammar, you have to like VD's sense of humour; it's the same sort of smart comment I'm known for making- just ask Cm!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

February 16th, 2008, 13:31
Originally Posted by V7 View Post
Nothing wrong with Fedex or kill monster quests if they're well written (say Lord of the Rings and Beowulf). The only other type of quest I can think of off the top of my head is some variation of 'solve puzzle'.
I think you might misunderstand. No "Fedex or kill monster" quest just means there won't be any quests that just consist of "take this, walk over there, talk to the other guy" or "go there and kill the floozle"

It doesn't mean you'll never have to kill a floozle, but it'll be in a wider framework of quests. So "kill the baron of floozle" would be "find some way to get into that house (disguised as a servant, or climbing up the drainpipe, or skulking in through the sewer), get past the guards (bribing, lying, killing) and kill the baron of floozle"

Brother None

SasqWatch

February 16th, 2008, 16:26
I'm glad to report that we have 0 FedEx quests and 0 "kill x monsters/Bring me x items" quests.
I interpret that as refering to MMORPG type, kill-10-rats-bring-me-10-rat-tails type "quests", or "grinding" as the kids call it. Ugh.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

February 16th, 2008, 16:58
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Despite the terrible grammar, you have to like VD's sense of humour; it's the same sort of smart comment I'm known for making- just ask Cm!!
Yeah. At first I cringed, but then I realized it was humor.

I have to say I'm fairly intrigued by the persona of Vince Dweller. Is this who he really is, I wonder? Or is he just carrying it over after seeing its success at The Codex? (and that would certainly make a whole lot of sense).

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

February 16th, 2008, 17:40
That was a very calm and non-wiseass interview, imo. Informative as well—I hadn't heard about the follow up games.

I also am impressed with how this game has evolved—the time spent and the talent used are very evident.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 16th, 2008, 18:02
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
That was a very calm and non-wiseass interview, imo. Informative as well—I hadn't heard about the follow up games.
I believe that sequel thing was a joke.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe

KazikluBey

Sentinel

February 16th, 2008, 19:10
Originally Posted by KazikluBey View Post
I believe that sequel thing was a joke.
Ah—now I get the remarks about the dry sense of humor.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 16th, 2008, 19:12
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Despite the terrible grammar…
Surely it's not THAT bad.

Originally Posted by magerette View Post

I also am impressed with how this game has evolved—the time spent and the talent used are very evident.
Thanks. The follow up games are a joke.

Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
I have to say I'm fairly intrigued by the persona of Vince Dweller. Is this who he really is, I wonder?
Yes. What you see is what you get.

Or is he just carrying it over after seeing its success at The Codex? (and that would certainly make a whole lot of sense).
Success? Wasn't I voted off the island? Anyway, I didn't invent any persona when I joined the Codex. The original idea and the concept of the site appealed to me greatly and I didn't have to fake anything to fit in and have fun.

VDweller

Watchdog

February 16th, 2008, 20:26
Originally Posted by VDweller View Post
Success? Wasn't I voted off the island?
True, but you did get a lot of votes in your favor. Anyway, I think how you've handled yourself with the press might resonate with a lot of the same folks who visit The Codex (and that's quite a few RPG fans, isn't it?).

I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't thought you were joking, but "much more better" is "the worstest."

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

February 16th, 2008, 22:36
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't thought you were joking, but "much more better" is "the worstest."
Ah, yes. Some questions were a bit … silly, so I had a bit of [non-offensive] fun there. I'm well aware that the correct way is "more much better", not the other way around.

VDweller

Watchdog

February 16th, 2008, 22:53
There you go.

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Decadence - Interview @ Gnomes' Lair