|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Enhanced Edition Q & A @ ActionTrip

Default The Witcher - Enhanced Edition Q & A @ ActionTrip

February 24th, 2008, 04:53
ActionTrip's Ure' Vader' Paul has gotten together with CDProjektRed's Michal Madej, Chief Designer on The Witcher, to examine some of the aspects of the new Enhanced Edition scheduled for this spring. It's a two page interview, so here are just a few highlights:
ActionTrip: Generally speaking, how are things at CD Projekt right now, after the successful release of The Witcher?
Michał Madej: Generally speaking - very enthusiastic, but we're also a little puzzled. We always believed that The Witcher is an outstanding game, but still we are surprised how well it does all around the world. I am very glad that editors and gamers understand our vision of a modern role playing game. On the other hand, we feel a great responsibility, so now following titles will have much higher expectations and we can't disappoint you all. Hopefully, it will inspire us even more, but not paralyze our creativity…
AT: It's good to hear that current owners of The Witcher will be able to get all the extra content via a downloadable update. However, you mentioned that the update also contains patches released so far. Can you tell us roughly how large an update can we expect (500MB, 1GB…)?
MM: Yeah, all additional features and adventures will be available for free; for all registered users. I can't tell right now how big it will be, but considering such a huge amount of changers like new models, dialogs, voice-overs, etc. it will be probably compared to full The Witcher game (i.e. a few GB)…
AT: What are your further plans for the franchise? The Witcher already has a strong fan base, so I think it's safe to expect a sequel or add-on at some point in the future, right?
MM: At this point we are completely focused on The Witcher Enhanced Edition and on supporting it, so future plans still remain the future. For sure, this is not our last tribute to the role-playing genre, and we still see huge potential of The Witcher world license.
AT: Do you consider tackling different game genres (other than single-play RPG, that is)?
MM: Not at this point, as we didn't decide what our next big title will be - as I said we still focus on The Witcher support and the Enhanced Edition. I think that some day in the not so far future we will have to start with a different project, genre and maybe a different license.
More information.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

February 24th, 2008, 04:53
Everytime anyone from CdProjekt does an interview, I love what they have to say Hey American corps learn a few lessons from these guys.

The gigs of extra content sounds great. May take awhile to download but definatly worth it.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

February 24th, 2008, 06:40
yeah yeah, we know. American corporations bad, everyone else good.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 24th, 2008, 09:15
Damn right!!! Say it again and louder next time …but not everyone else. I don't think Jowood is that hot.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

February 24th, 2008, 11:01
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
yeah yeah, we know. American corporations bad, everyone else good.
Not only American, but Canadian too. There are quite a few examples…

Wendigo Design, by Tiago Sá

Morbus

Watchdog

Send a message via MSN to Morbus

February 24th, 2008, 16:29
I wonder - will the printed material like the 50 page novel be available for d/l for those who bought CE edition? I guess not. The novel was what I most wanted originally. Too bad it was only in the polish edition iirc that had som card game and other stuff too.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

February 24th, 2008, 16:53
zakhal - the Polish edition of Witcher included only "The Witcher" short story and, since the whole "Last Wish" collection of stories is available (in Europe at least) in English translation you aren't missing all that much

zahratustra

SasqWatch

February 24th, 2008, 21:54
Yes, at the official forums CDP people confirmed that all additional printed stuff will be available in PDFs as well.

Ausir

SasqWatch

February 24th, 2008, 22:27
Originally Posted by Ausir View Post
Yes, at the official forums CDP people confirmed that all additional printed stuff will be available in PDFs as well.
Great news! Nicely done. Im starting to really like these devs.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

February 25th, 2008, 00:46
One clarification: They actually lied a bit when asked about takin on a new genre.
The CDProjekt group recently acquired the oldest gamemaking studio in Poland - Metropolis - along with it's ongoing FPS project: "THEY". There is bound to be know-how and human resource exchange between CDP Red and Metropolis.

So generally: yes - there is no next project for the Reds, but as the CDP group they are already working on the next title.

My guess would be animating the fanbase and keeping mod creation alive for 3-4 years and begining work on the Witcher 2 in 2-3 years time.

Furia

Traveler

February 25th, 2008, 01:57
I wish CDP Red all the best but have already delayed release of toolset by two months and we know now that it will not be released before March (downloaded version). A lot of people have drifted away already and who knows how many will be lured back? Besides, IF Dragon Age will turn out to be anything close to advertised AND will include toolset, than keeping Witcher alive for 3-4 years will look very problematic.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

February 25th, 2008, 13:46
I have the feeling as if this game will reach a status similar to PS:T one day.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 25th, 2008, 15:53
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I have the feeling as if this game will reach a status similar to PS:T one day.
Hopefully not. That would mean that only version available is used for 60euros from ebay - if thers any available. I was lucky to get to buy the plain CDs (slightly scratched) without box or manual.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

February 25th, 2008, 17:34
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Hopefully not. That would mean that only version available is used for 60euros from ebay - if thers any available. I was lucky to get to buy the plain CDs (slightly scratched) without box or manual.
Well, hopefully The Witcher can reach that status without CDProjekt reaching the less elevated position of Interplay, in which case, the game would probably remain a bit more available.

BTW, PS:T is still on sale here and there( at ~$50 US before shipping) in N.A. and I do know of one vendor that will ship internationally—still, that would probably be at least as costly.

magerette

Hedgewitch

February 25th, 2008, 18:23
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
Well, hopefully The Witcher can reach that status without CDProjekt reaching the less elevated position of Interplay, in which case, the game would probably remain a bit more available.

BTW, PS:T is still on sale here and there( at ~$50 US before shipping) in N.A. and I do know of one vendor that will ship internationally—still, that would probably be at least as costly.
What vendor? There is atleast one game that I want that is only available in amazon.com (i have searched it all around europe without success) which does not ship to europe.

I have bought few games in the past from US but they were extremely costly. Shipping is 25$ and tolls another 25$ resulting in a total cost of around 100$ for single game.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

February 25th, 2008, 18:48
When was it ? Last year ? When PS:T was even published as a full game accompanied by one magazine - on DVD.

But i think with PS:T it is with good, very good wine: It gets better through the years … At least in the perception of the people.

It's like with Zoo Tycoon (the first one) Complete Collection : The company doesn't see any sense in selling too much of a game that wouldn't sell … Therefore the prices go up. At least on ebay.

I was *very*, very happy as I saw last week that this Complete Collection has finally been made a budget-version: For 17 Euros, though. Which is about the price you must pay for it at ebay.

P.S. : Perhaps you should stay away from Amazon in terms of gaming … Those "affiliated" shops often have funny, totally unrealistic prices …
But on ebay you can see this, too … The older the game, the higher the price …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 25th, 2008, 18:57
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
What vendor? There is atleast one game that I want that is only available in amazon.com (i have searched it all around europe without success) which does not ship to europe.

I have bought few games in the past from US but they were extremely costly. Shipping is 25$ and tolls another 25$ resulting in a total cost of around 100$ for single game.
I doubt this place will run any cheaper, but FWIW, the vendor is NWS ONLINE COMBAT GAMING STORE; here's the PS:T entry (as a special order) and shipping info. I got the link from a poster here who recommended them and I've bought from them in the past with good results.

magerette

Hedgewitch

February 26th, 2008, 03:43
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Everytime anyone from CdProjekt does an interview, I love what they have to say Hey American corps learn a few lessons from these guys.

The gigs of extra content sounds great. May take awhile to download but definatly worth it.
I don't see any difference between this interview and other made by AMericans

Unregistered

SasqWatch

February 26th, 2008, 05:35
Please tell me Unregistered, did you have to study hard or does it come to you naturally?

zahratustra

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Enhanced Edition Q & A @ ActionTrip