|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity 2 - Video Footage on Belgian TV

Default Divinity 2 - Video Footage on Belgian TV

February 12th, 2008, 15:12
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
That´s a short, sad story. A CDV big shot had the idea, thought it´s brilliant and insisted on it. (At least that what I heard.)
That's what I've heard, too.

Rumor says it was the head of CDV himself.

Around the same time CDV had another, very successful strategy game with the name "Sudden Strike", which seems to me to come from the same "source".

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 12th, 2008, 15:17
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
That´s a short, sad story. A CDV big shot had the idea, thought it´s brilliant and insisted on it. (At least that what I heard.)
CDV?

My daughter really liked this game (except the broken ending) and we always wondered if the name was a "literal" translation of something that just didn't come out right.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

February 12th, 2008, 16:42
I heard the original title was supposed to be "Sword of Lies" or maybe, Divinity: Sword of Lies—Alrik and others have amplified on this in the past but my memory is vague on how exact that is. It was definitely along those lines— too bad they didn't go with that title or one similar as i think it would have helped their English language sales and image.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 12th, 2008, 16:54
This is true. The game was originally called "Divinity: The Sword of Lies". The publisher then changed it to "Divine Divinity". Then "Riftrunner" was changed to "Beyond Divinity", since apparently they hadn't learned their lesson.

This is a bit of a weird move for Larian to not even give their fans a heads up. They are usually excellent about that kind of stuff.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

February 12th, 2008, 18:02
From one of the artists on the Larian forum:
Originally Posted by Madawg
Sorry for that but they filmed that on Friday afternoon and it was already on air in the evening. I think nobody knew (except Swen I guess) they were coming before we saw the camera…
Personally, I wouldn't worry so much. Sure, there has been a dearth of information, but I'm happy there are news about the game and it looks in good shape.

Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
CDV?
The publisher. Like EA - too much influence on things that matter.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; February 12th, 2008 at 18:08.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

February 12th, 2008, 18:56
Originally Posted by doctor_kaz View Post
This is true. The game was originally called "Divinity: The Sword of Lies". The publisher then changed it to "Divine Divinity". Then "Riftrunner" was changed to "Beyond Divinity", since apparently they hadn't learned their lesson.
The name "Beyond Divinity" has nothing to do with CDV, the German publisher.

This name change from "Riftrunner" has a different story, rumor says (search for "Rifts" in your favourite search engine to get a possible clue).

Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
Hey, don't rail against CDV, they published "Commander Keen" (at least in Germany).
I have it, too !

CDV was once a big Shareware publishing company.

A bitter remark I once read is that CDV still is it today - hence the behaviour towards Divinity 1.

Edit: You can read a background story on the development of Divinity 1 I once compiled here.

2nd Edit: Stories from early development

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Last edited by Alrik Fassbauer; February 12th, 2008 at 19:03.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 12th, 2008, 20:21
Yes, that's the Arcivist and the Archaeologist inside of me.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

Talking Love you guys!!

February 13th, 2008, 00:16
It's so nice to see you all so excited about this game!! Your interest in the game really inspires me to enhance the game experience to something you've never seen before!

PS

I'm not chubby!

Design doc

February 13th, 2008, 18:26
Some info on the video from the boss, quoted from a thread over at the larian forums.

Originally Posted by Lar
Hi all,

It's good to see there's still so many people following what we're doing. I didn't expect you to react so strongly to the little tid-bit that was shown in the show, so maybe some clarification about what happened can help.

In Belgium, there's a debate going on about the government helping out game developers. Being one of the larger studios in Belgium, we were given the opportunity to give our thoughts on the matter. To be fair, we didn't expect so much game footage to be used on TV (it was recorded in the afternoon,broadcast in the evening and we only knew about it in the morning, so it took us all a bit by surprise).

We allowed the camera crew to take some development footage to underline to our local politicians that there are studios, in Belgium, who are seriously busy with games. Our goal is to have them do something about the unfair competition caused by other governments granting large subsidies in neighbouring countries. That's all there is to it.

It definitely wasn't the intention to release information about the game, for that it's still too soon. Not that I wouldn't want to talk about it, but there'll be plenty of opportunity to do so in the not so distant future.

There's a variety of reasons on why it would be counter-productive for the success and quality of our game to announce things prematurely, and I hope you can understand that. Some of these were already mentioned in this thread and are very valid.

But, we are fully in production, working towards a target, and if all goes well, it shouldn't take that long (heard that before ? ) before we can finally share with you the details of this thing we're trying to make.

The shots you saw were by the way work in progress, just in case you were wondering.

Lar

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

February 14th, 2008, 02:26
Thanks Arhu, I REALLY need to get back to visiting the Larian forums again; I used to be regular!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

April 14th, 2008, 17:20
Hmm, I've only seen this today but I'm a bit "iffy" on the change of gameplay… I absolutely love the preceding games so I just hope that this won't dishearten me from future releases as seeing it now, it just looks like a generic game… I hope I'm proved wrong and I hope Kiril is still doing the soundtrack! His music is class.

Zoanthropic

April 15th, 2008, 12:26
Do they say anything about whether Kirill will once again be doing the music? I sure hope so …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

April 15th, 2008, 22:17
Um … don't remember …

By the way, the video just stopped in the last part. It just refused to go on, and then I quit it.

But I've now seen most of it.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity 2 - Video Footage on Belgian TV