|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Lucas Arts - Layoffs and More KotOR3 MMO Rumours

Default Lucas Arts - Layoffs and More KotOR3 MMO Rumours

June 6th, 2008, 18:53
Kotaku has news of LucasArts layoffs amounting to 75-100 people (apparently around 80% of the workforce), as well as rumours of games in development from (apparently) disgruntled ex-employees - no prizes for guessing a BioWare-made KotOR3 MMO is in the list. Time will tell.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 6th, 2008, 18:53
Wow, this is the end of LA as a develpoment house once and for all methinks. I wonder how this will affect their last non-Star Wars/Indy IP, Monkey Island. I believe all of those were made inhouse.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

June 6th, 2008, 19:32
Since they allready stopped making pc games while ago, I couldnt care less about their layoffs. But still its a shame that all this had to happen. They did make lots of high quality games in the past - just now Im playing one of the best westerners - LA's outlaw.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

June 7th, 2008, 03:28
Personally, I didn't like Outlaws at all. Somehow it was horrible to my taste.

I liked the original Dark Forces game better than this one.

Apart from that, I believe that LA is really shifting more & more into a console-only company - which makes them both unattractive and uninteresting for me.

The only PC games LA would try were community.based multiplayer games - somwthing which I could do without as well, because they are not my focus.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 7th, 2008, 13:57
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Personally, I didn't like Outlaws at all. Somehow it was horrible to my taste.

I liked the original Dark Forces game better than this one.
I played dark forces too but that was never this good imho. I guess its one of these hate or love games. It does have many good reviews on mobygames. One of the reviewers - John Romero himself - gives it five stars:

One of the best, most atmospheric and important contributions to the FPS genre.

The Good
Even though Quake was out when Outlaws was released, there were still almost no true 3D games available. Outlaws used a modified Dark Forces engine which upped the resolution and added areas above other areas (using a trick).

Clint Bajakian's score for Outlaws is still one of the best for any game, period. Outlaws' music won several awards when it was released.

The first level has a really awesome secret on it too. The Historical Missions was a great addition and showed that Daron Stinnett was really working to make this game original and not a "me too" product.

The Bad
Just about the only thing I could criticize was the fact that you had to exit to the menu to save/load your game and the Control Config screen didn't match the rest of the game (it used the GDI inside DirectX). Other than that, this game is just magnificent.

The Bottom Line
You MUST play Outlaws to see what's missing from the genre. This is a highly original Western shooter that, I daresay, may have been the first game to introduce the first elements of today's tactical shooters like Ghost Recon. One or two shots and you're dead - do NOT mess up!
Its still fully playable and I really like the music. The game comes with two CDs full of it. Its like straight from the old western movies like the good, bad and ugly.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

June 7th, 2008, 14:05
For me, it was mostly the graphics, somehow. The colours and such.

Edit: TWO CDs ???

Here it is only sold with one … Seems as if something was cut again … Typical Germany …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 7th, 2008, 14:32
For me, it was mostly the graphics, somehow. The colours and such.
Yeah its cartoon style. That might be it. I really like it - its kind of unique even. And thats why the game looks ok still unlike som other early 3d games. But if you dont like the cartoon style then its a nogo.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

June 7th, 2008, 14:36
Well, I actually liked the cut-scenes, but not the 3d environment. It's hard to explain for me.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 7th, 2008, 14:46
Well, I actually liked the cut-scenes, but not the 3d environment. It's hard to explain for me.
I was referring to the 3d enviroment - its cartoony too. Not just the cut-scenes.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

June 7th, 2008, 17:55
I agree, the era of great LA PC games is long goners anyway. I however never regarded the intelligence of the bean counters and managers behind those gaming corporations very high anyway. Managers are generally the most overrated profession and gaming managers moreso. So I have long stopped to assume than ANY doing of game company CEO's has ANY plan or reason, and thus doesnt give a heck for any speculation whatsoever.

elikal

Sentinel

June 8th, 2008, 01:54
More reading stuff here :
http://boards.theforce.net/games_vid…6678227/p1/?67

They've been discussing it as well.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 8th, 2008, 13:37
More reading stuff here :
http://boards.theforce.net/games_vid…6678227/p1/?67

They've been discussing it as well.
Vast majority of that thread pertains to the house-cleaning LA did 4 years ago. I wasn't paying attention to the dates until I saw references to "finishing touches on KOTOR 2…"

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire,
chase away the hoofed liar.
Roof and doorway, block and beam,
chase the Trickster from our dream.

Stanza

Lighthouse Keeper

June 8th, 2008, 20:33
Sorry, I noticed that too late as well. I should've paid more attention to the dates …

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 10th, 2008, 12:52
BioWare-made KotOR3 MMO is in the list. Time will tell.
Forgot abt that totally. Way to ruin yet another great series. Remove the plot, dialogue, change turn-based combat into boring continuous MMO one, simplify the quests and add in tons of grind and you got KOTOR3 - the next version of internet relay chat where you chat with other people and kill&loot random stuff while doing it.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Lucas Arts - Layoffs and More KotOR3 MMO Rumours