|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeon Hero - Preview @ gameSlave

Default Dungeon Hero - Preview @ gameSlave

July 15th, 2008, 14:59
gameSlave has an overview preview of Dungeon Hero, based on a presentation from designer Simon Bradbury:
There will be no RPG-like distribution of attribute points. Instead, you are given 'skill points' that you can use to improve your offensive and defensive moves.

Another key point for Bradbury is story, as it will be here that team really try and hit home their 'anti-dungeon' motif. Firefly will be using a mix of comic-style sections that look like they're from a Frank Miller novel, and in-game hints via NPCs in order to drive the narrative. The story itself is being written by none other than Terry Pratchett, acclaimed author of the Discworld novels.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 15th, 2008, 14:59
I dunno. I was actually looking forward to the game more before I read this preview.

The seemingly contradictory statements of the dungeon being a complex system and later stating there's no economic system have me concerned. They also said there's no looting from enemies. That's not very RPG-like, even for an action RPG. The story will have to be awfully good to keep a player motivated to trudge through hordes of enemies without any other reward.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

July 15th, 2008, 15:29
What? Did I read that right? The story is written by Terry Pratchett? I know his daughter, Rhianna (or some such thing) is a game writer, but I had no idea Terry Pratchett was writing the story for Dungeon Hero.

Dungeon Hero will end up having amazing writing if this is actually true.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

July 15th, 2008, 19:01
Oh I like this. Again a studio which at least tries to make something different. There is no loot…I don't care. And I don't care if there is an economic system or not (by the way, I never really got why this should be important. I don't want to play a economic sim, but a rpg).
And the action part? Sounds fun.
Conclusion (up until now: Interesting concept, new and not used up setting, bloody battles and a 'I'm no Hero' hero. I'm looking forward to this game.

Roi Danton

Sentinel

July 15th, 2008, 21:25
On the clerical side; I guess the game info box can be updated:

"until it ships on PC and Xbox 360 sometime next Spring"

Santos

Ass-hat

July 16th, 2008, 00:47
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
What? Did I read that right? The story is written by Terry Pratchett? I know his daughter, Rhianna (or some such thing) is a game writer, but I had no idea Terry Pratchett was writing the story for Dungeon Hero.

Dungeon Hero will end up having amazing writing if this is actually true.
She's not a game writer, as far as I know, but a game reviewer.

However, she wrote the so to say "backstory" for Beyond Divinity. The one that came in the small pamphlet.

In this story, she imho indeed showed a good talent to tell stories, too.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 16th, 2008, 01:31
I believe she wrote some in-game text and dialogue for BD, Alrik. I "worked" briefly with Rhianna as her contact and "editor" when she did some E3 stuff for RPGDot (I use the quotes to indicate I was only an amateur web guy dealing with a real professional) and I think I spoke to her about that but perhaps my memory is clouded. Either way, she has done other games such as Overlord, so she certainly is a game writer, even if as a side job to freelance magazine writing.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 16th, 2008, 04:36
I have no problem with the "no looting" part. Actually, I'm getting sick of the excessive loot in recent RPGs. It get to a point where I hardly look at it anymore, which somewhat defeat the purpose of getting cool stuff. Finding a nice new sword is a lot more interesting when you don't get a hundred more of the same in the next hour. If anything, less loot will allow me to spend more time enjoying the game and less time peddling crap.

And a story written by Terry Pratchett is definitly a plus.

I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me there.

Dungeon Tales

Dantre

Watchdog

July 16th, 2008, 13:16
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I believe she wrote some in-game text and dialogue for BD, Alrik.
Yes, I think that's true.

I haven't played the game in/for ages, however, and don't plan to do so in the next 10 years. Too dark for my taste.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 16th, 2008, 16:08
Originally Posted by Dantre View Post
I have no problem with the "no looting" part
Yeah I agree with this. action-RPG's seem like pack mule simluators nowadays.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeon Hero - Preview @ gameSlave