|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo 3 - Keeping a Broad Audience

Default Diablo 3 - Keeping a Broad Audience

August 15th, 2008, 17:17
MTV dribbles more Diablo III tidbits out from their conversation with Jay Wilson, this time speaking about how the game will keep its broad audience:
Keeping the game approachable is key for Wilson. “It’s one of the reasons why we made some of the choices we made, like when we pulled out the potion system,” he said. “When we wanted to add a hot bar we knew we had to pull the potion stuff out. Every time we add something, we have to pull something out to keep the game very simple and straightforward to play.”
“One of the things that happened in ‘Diablo II’,” Wilson continued, “was the player was faster than most of the monsters and had pretty much infinite health because they would just pop as many potions as they wanted. So when you have a player who has more mobility, more health and endless power, essentially the only thing you can really do to challenge [the players] is to kill them… by just spiking the difficulty.”
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 15th, 2008, 17:17
As if the Diablo series wasn't already dumbed down enough…

cutterjohn

Sentinel

August 15th, 2008, 17:53
Originally Posted by cutterjohn View Post
As if the Diablo series wasn't already dumbed down enough…
QFT. Count me as one of those who doesn't "get" Diablo. I played D2 and the expansion and it was a mindless hack & slash. But I digress…

Rills

Watchdog

August 15th, 2008, 17:58
I will buy it, i got really good times with my friends playing it, also what make me buy it is the nice cinematic of the game.

I have years waiting for a true clasic rpg come out for years, i have to play something meanwhile (and i know it will take more years to see one that not fusion the fps games with rpg action).
________
LAPUTA
Last edited by Turok; February 16th, 2011 at 03:36.

Turok

Watchdog

August 15th, 2008, 18:46
Originally Posted by Rills View Post
QFT. Count me as one of those who doesn't "get" Diablo. I played D2 and the expansion and it was a mindless hack & slash. But I digress…
As far as I can tell (I'm not a Diablo veteran), Diablo (and Diablo 2) were mostly about character builds and loot. As as far as that is concerned, they are still one of the best ever, if you ask me. I've recently installed Diablo 2 and expansion again and I'm amazed at the quality of the design of things. The gameplay itself might not be for you, but it's strangely addictive and gratifying in its own ways.

Thaurin

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2008, 19:08
I liked the first 2 Diablo games. Though I never played online or were able to play it through another difficult lvl.

But, I think D3 looks great and I like what I hear so far about the changes/improvements over D2. Like better npc/chr story/background and also the health globes instead of potion chugging.

Already planned with my brother to coop with him when it comes out. Think it will be alot of fun.

Foss

Watchdog

August 15th, 2008, 23:53
Its not on my top ten list but will be buying it. I like the semi-mindless nature of the diablo games. I can pop in and play for 30 minutes of fun or decide to stay up late and play for 6 hours. It is so flexible. I just hope they don't totally kill the solo aspect in 3 what with all the focus on multiplayer they have been going on about.

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch

August 16th, 2008, 05:23
Graphics look good, for 2005

Unregistered

SasqWatch

August 16th, 2008, 12:29
I'm not interested at all.

I'm rather interested in Divinity 2 .

Apart from that, I think that I'll more or less return to my favourite genre : The Adventures.

Because Adventure games deliver me the things I miss more and more in RPGs : Non-Action and a deep story with no violence at all.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 16th, 2008, 14:49
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Graphics look good, for 2005
Graphics look great. Don't be a hater.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

August 18th, 2008, 11:29
I feel the same way as wolfgrimdark - I'll buy it, and play through it from time to time, but it's not a "must have" game at this point. Such games are nice to have inbetween something more serious (as previously mentioned, it's possible to just play 30 min and still get something in return, unlike some games where you need hours and hours just to get anywhere).

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo 3 - Keeping a Broad Audience