|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » TGC - The Games Company - Secures The Dark Eye License

Default TGC - The Games Company - Secures The Dark Eye License

August 20th, 2008, 23:56
Berlin based publisher TGC - The Games Company announced they were granted a The Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge or DSA in German) license. They will use it to let their internal studio (Silver Style; -> The Fall) develop an action-RPG.
According to Dr Stefan Blanck from license holder Chromatrix in the official Drakensang forum TGC's license is non-exclusive. It does not prevent Radon Labs from making a sequel or add-on to Drakensang.
Thanks Alrik and Rohal!
More information.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 20th, 2008, 23:56
Press release

So, Carsten Strehse gets it? Fun.

Doesn't sound like good news to me.

Brother None

SasqWatch

August 21st, 2008, 00:20
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
My thoughts exactly… then again, I still wish it wouldn't have fallen into some specific german hands anyway.

lef

Sojourner

August 21st, 2008, 03:42
Press release

Thanks, I didn´t want to waste my time translating a PR.

The Carsten is CEO and development director of TGC. It´s unlikely he can do more than supervision.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 21st, 2008, 07:34
Press release

Why not? For someone who is mentioned in the The Fall credits you seem overtly critical.

I think Carsten and his pals worked with a plethora of Black Isle alumni and are very talented guys.

Having an DSA ACRPG is a good thing anyway, because it only supports the franchise and opens up marktets for all DSA games. They can't hurt DSA, because the 15+ mobile phone games couldn't do also.

It's a win-win situation in my book.

Sir_Brennus

August 21st, 2008, 14:08
The mobile phone games are not really liked within the TDE community - at least the one over there at the Ulisses forum (Ulisses is the current holder of the license) - because of its exclusive content.

An Action-RPG just dioesn't fit into Aventuria. To me it's like making a SIMs game for (A)D&D.

There are only two to three exceptions to that : The Mage Wars -> LMK and the Black Lands, especuially during the Borbarad times.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 22nd, 2008, 03:02
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
Why not? For someone who is mentioned in the The Fall credits you seem overtly critical.
My permission wasn't asked

I think Carsten and his pals worked with a plethora of Black Isle alumni and are very talented guys.
Two QA guys is "a plethora of Black Isle alumni"?

Having an DSA ACRPG is a good thing anyway, because it only supports the franchise and opens up marktets for all DSA games.
Why turn a pen and paper game into a computer game if you have no interest in making it a pen and paper emulation (or on the outside an emulation)? It's not like the DSA setting is that fascinating, it's the system that counts. A DSA aRPG sounds like a formula for every other generic aRPG out there.

I'm all for variety in the RPG field, but making DSA an action-RPG makes as much sense as making Fallout an FPSRPG. i.e. none
Last edited by Brother None; August 22nd, 2008 at 03:15.

Brother None

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » TGC - The Games Company - Secures The Dark Eye License