|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - EE Review @ GameSpot

Default The Witcher - EE Review @ GameSpot

October 2nd, 2008, 05:13
8.5/10 is the score for The Witcher: Enhanced Edition in GameSpot's review:
Where this enhanced Witcher takes a welcome turn is with its story and presentation. Although the plot of the first game was a remarkably mature tale that ditched traditional black-and-white RPG morality for a gray universe, the story was sloppily adapted from its original Polish. In it, you took the lesser-of-two-evils approach and found a common cause with rapists and murderers. A bizarre decision to cut back the English dialogue preserved only chopped-up portions of the full script, leaving plot points hard to understand and cut-off conversations in midstream. All those issues have been corrected here. Thousands of lines of English dialogue have been rerecorded, fully fleshing out the storyline and removing the awkwardness of the original game. The English translation has been gone over with a fine-toothed comb to get rid of some jarring word choices from last year. The game is still a lot more modern sounding than some would probably like, throwing around F-bombs and curse words in ways that just don't seem to fit with swords and sorcery. But at least the script has been smoothed out and given a unified voice. Any way you look at it, this is a huge improvement over the first Witcher, which veered wildly between formal D&D-speak and New Jack City.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 2nd, 2008, 05:13
VERY good news.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

October 2nd, 2008, 14:13
What's "formal D&D speak" ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 2nd, 2008, 14:40
You know, "Marry, sirrah — prithee thou canst slay me yonder dragon?" That sort of thing. I hear Two Worlds is chock-full of it.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

Red face 

October 2nd, 2008, 16:28
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
You know, "Marry, sirrah — prithee thou canst slay me yonder dragon?" That sort of thing. I hear Two Worlds is chock-full of it.
And that is why playing it makes my ears weep and my patience wane. Okay game though

Embolus

Watcher

October 3rd, 2008, 01:53
Personally I think the script is perfect now that they fixed the English version. Best script in a game ever.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

October 3rd, 2008, 12:39
Steve Ince of the Broken Sword adventures contributed to the script as well, I once read.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 3rd, 2008, 13:19
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Personally I think the script is perfect now that they fixed the English version. Best script in a game ever.
In my book, that honor still goes to Planescape: Torment.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

October 3rd, 2008, 13:46
As far as I'm concerned, no other game is even close to PS:T in terms of writing.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

October 3rd, 2008, 14:13
Well I never played Planescape, so that's why I have to go with TW.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - EE Review @ GameSpot