Pricewatch!

The Expansion already includes the base game. And now people are pissed they have to pay "twice". The only reasoning I can understand here if you argue that the base game was promised as more and wasn't worth the price. And you have a reason to be pissed if you bought the base game without knowing about the expansion before the expansion released.

I'll just explain where I'm coming from, and then shut up, as I don't want to foul up this thread.

In the first place, the game was released in a pretty basic state, with much talk about more stuff being added later. To me, the first question is whether these improvements and development of the gameplay constitute an "expansion" that ought to be paid extra for, or improvements that buyers and backers should be able to expect as part of the package. As one guy on Reddit put it," Frontier is charging us twice for a game they haven't delivered once."

If we accept for a moment that the additions to Elite do constitute an expansion that is fair to charge for, my question is about how this is priced. We understand that when we buy a full price title, and then a series of expansions, we'll end up paying more than someone who buys the full GOTY edition years later. But the expansions are usually priced sensibly relative to the main game. Maybe $60 for the game, and $15 or $20 for each expansion.

What I don't expect is that each time an expansion is released, I will have to pay $60 again, to get the expansion plus the original as a new package. And again the next time. I think that's very poor value, and I wouldn't like it if, say, PoE charged once for the main game, then, a few months later, full price again for the main game + White March Part 1.

It seems to me that this is what they are doing with Elite Dangerous: Horizons.

N.B. If the conversation goes on, maybe a mod could snip it into the other new thread about ED?

Last edited:
If you stay in SP area, you are more or less right.
But you play Elite Dangerous Online with and against other players in a dynamic economy. It's concept is more of a buy to play mmo (which I admit wasn't stated that way in the KS). As with MMOs the content of the additions are substantial. And most of them (afaik) also charge more or less full price for them (30€+)

Thanks for the head's up on Elite Dangerous. I came close to picking it up, it seemed to be one of the better deals of this ho-hum sale. Now I know why.

The expansions/DLC to Dragon Age: Inquisition are on sale at Origin, each at $9.99. Only 33% but EA is very stingy about ever discounting them so worth noting. They're pushing the main game at $15 too, and it's pretty good if you can stay focused on the main story and skip the dull padding.

Dull padding?? Pah! I'm loving every minute of Dragon Age: Inquisition's main game. The Descent DLC had some bad times but made up for it in the end.

Whether to get the main game or the GotY edition right now is a tricky call. The main game is PLENTY big but you're likely to save money getting the GotY edition if you do decide to get the DLC packs.

Yeah I played M&M Legacy on a friends laptop, it was a great game. All I can hope is they learn a lesson and at least shop it at GoG or Steam next time, and I'm grateful a buddy was willing to compromise his machine =p.

Jeez. So melodramatic. Yes, we'd all rather not install yet more DRM software, but if it's for a game you want to play, it's a small compromise. uPlay or Origin are not going to "infest" your PC (or even produce a single noticeable side effect of being installed).

Final Fantasy VI and IV are 50% off on Android. Probably the rest of the Final Fantasy series as well but I didn't check.

Jeez. So melodramatic. Yes, we'd all rather not install yet more DRM software, but if it's for a game you want to play, it's a small compromise. uPlay or Origin are not going to "infest" your PC (or even produce a single noticeable side effect of being installed).

If you consider these DRM platforms of little significance, fair enough, but i wouldn't seek to minimize other people's concerns about them. At the very least, they all run background services that one might not want running.

Uplay, at one point, was installing a plugin that allowed remote access to the PC.

Steam runs its VACS (Valve Anti Cheat System), which scans running processes and the data in memory for anything it deems "suspicious", and sends what it pleases back to Valve. It also has excessive privileges on the system.

I don’t think it's unreasonable to want to avoid as much of this stuff as possible.

Yeah, the earlier versions of uPlay were more of a concern.

I agree that in an ideal world, you'd avoid this stuff. But that's not the real world. And all of it is far more worrisome in principle than in practice.

If anyone was seriously concerned about privacy/security to that degree, they certainly wouldn't advocate for Steam...

Play the games you want to play. Avoid the ones you don't.

Last edited:
Can we stick to price related stuff please?!? Have a nice DRM war in another thread

Yeah, sorry. It's just every single time someone mentions a uPlay/Origin bargain in here, someone cries. It's a bit boring.

I realise I've become part of the problem. ;)

Anyhooo... Not RPG, but Rocksmith DLC is 40% off on Steam (for those of you that can bear such intrusive DRM). That's as cheap as it ever gets and is good value IMHO.

For me it's more a matter of trying to keep my games in "one place". I don't feel like I was whining about it, but eh, whatever. I don't need to defend my preferences to anyone here.

And on topic, GamersGate has started their Thanksgiving sale. Some interesting sales, such as the Viking Conquest DLC for M&B 75% off, Blackguards 90% off, Blackguards 2 80% off, M&M X 75% off, Expeditions: Conquistador 80% off and more. :)

Oh neat! That might be worth another play-through. Well… half a play through…

Edit: Hehe, I had forgotten that most of the characters seem to really want to show off their facial expressions. Whenever they smile or grimace or some such, they seem to want to stick their head toward the camera to make sure you see the high tech animation going on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom