OMG ! HELP ME ! I am starving ! hel....p.......

Thank you for the response.

Yes, i played Incubation, a very good game, nearly nobody played it.
Age of Wounders was great too. Much better than HoMM V, i loved the old ones with the better overview. Now its too much for me to handle the 3D Map. Thats work, not fun for me.
I think i will give ToEE a try again, but i run into a showstopper bug for me 2 times i tried it. My monk was not able to add a feat from lvl2 to 3. Dont no why, no forum entry talked about a similar experience. I will use this time the mod.

About this site, its a pleasure to see all this knowledge about RPGs, now i am a little more humble about my wisdom :).

(p.s Corwin, this remark about Grimoire is a running gag ? Like Duke Nukem forever, because i read the ongoing process on RPGDOT and this was 2 years ago ?)

Yes and No!! The game does exist in a playable Beta. I've played it twice now and it's an excellent, fun game. Cleve was finishing up some scripting problems, but seems to have disappeared.

Cleve disappeared into his homemade bomb shelter I think.

Thought i should chime in with a rare comment on this one. Betrayal at Krondor (and a host of other classic RPGs) is in fact still playable on today's hardware, but it does take a bit of tweaking.

Wikipedia and my memory state that Sierra actually gave Betrayal at Krondor free for download - as Freeware, thus - shortly, before the whole company was sold and the page with the link was removed ( as like almost all of the whole Sierra pages were (re-)moved ) .

I want to reccomend a great turn-based RPG, Ogre Tactics: Let us cling togheter for the PSX ( you can play it on a PC also if you buy it on ebay and download a PSX emulator )

I haven't had so much fun playing a game in years. It has great replay rate too.

Besides Tactics Ogre, there were several excellent tactical/TB RPGs for the Playstation:

Final Fantasy Tactics (stay away from GBA version)
Brigandine
Vandal Hearts

These games were a lot of fun - worth playing on an emulator if you don't have a PS. Not that I condone the use of emulators. *wink*

Ok, i tried ToEE with all the mods again. And again, my Monk was unable to add the feats he should could add. BACK BACK in the bookshelf, where all the other crappy software is stored. Hush, hush.....

After playing Fallout 2 again, as a character with 2 charisma... me and my dog...
I buyed Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) and .... what a surprise... the combat system is good, the characters really funny and the story standard. Not bad as all if you love the anime graphic.

I also tried Vanguard again but wow, what a grinding without fun.

What is everyone else playing, i think about the old family fathers, born in the 70s ?

I'm acually in kind of the same seat as you. Which is sad, since I'm only 20...

Since very young age (started playing with my brother's Commondor Amiga when I was about 5, got a SEGA Mega Drive when I was round 7, and we got our first PC when I was 10) computergames has been my major entertainment
. When I was 11 I got to borrow Fallout 2 from a friend who had got it for free with a computer magazine. Since I'd only started reading (if that's what you should call it when you're 10) English in school a year earlier, things like plot and characterinteraction was only things I was mildly aware of. With my limited languageskills I was only able to scrape enought knowledge to get myself forward (until I had my brother download a walktrhough for me at least :rolleyes:). My English developed great. If you want your children to learn English, have them play RPG's. ;)
(Though you prolly allready knew this...)

For the next two years I worked hard finnishing F2 and enjoying every bit of it. My brother then borrowed Arcanum when I was around 13, and I got myself a new best friend. I probablly started around 100 different serious characters in that game. Only finnished it once... I allso got to borrow F1 somewhere around here, and though it wasn't as big as F2 I enjoyed that to. These three games has a lot in common. They all contain some brilliant moments when it comes to humor. Especially F2 when it makes fun of itself and other RPG's. They allso contain a lot (well, maybe not a lot, but they DID contain) of problemsolveing and peacefull quests. Like the Geckoquest in F2. You DIDN'T have to kill all the ghouls in order to make them stop polluteing Vault City, you COULD choose to fix the powerplant too. And in order to do that you had to go through a few steps. These quests really added variety to the game from quests like the toxic cave in Klamonth (which was filled with Geckos which killed you on sight). Most games today only have the toxic cave like quests :(.

Then came the best of them all. When I was 15 I managed to find a used copy of Planescape : Torment. And it was the best thing since sliced bread :biggrin:. It was like Fallout and Arcanum, only better. Of cause, it used the sucky D&D 2:nd ed rules, and to that you could only choose fighter, thief or mage, but you didn't care about that. The plot was great, all the important NPC's had deep and interesting stories, and an awful lot of the quests could be solved without combat, if you only used your head! Add to that a big portion of humor (most of Morte's conversations with Anna are just hillarious. Morte sais something to Anna. Anna sais "shut up ye ****** ***** of *****". Morte sais "boss, it's love right? Please, tell me it's love!") and it was the ultimate game for me. Unfortunantlly my urge for createing the ultimate character (first shown during my Arcanumdays) made me delete my save when I had gotten to 25 int and got an int bonus (oh noes, I've invested to much points into int!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!1111), and replaying the early part of the game were just repetetive, so I stopped playing. One of my goals in life is to one day finnish Planescape:Torment... (Acually, together with finnishing university, getting a good job and possiblly manage to find a girl who I like and who likes me back and marrying her it's my ONLY goal in life...)

Problem is, those were my first five years of RPG gameing. During the last five years I've played ONE game that I think comes up in a standard at least close to those games. That game was Vampire TM Bloodlines. The dialogue was up there with F2 and Ps:T, and the quests were nice and varied. Only problem was that they run out of time towards the end, so the final three quests are hack'n'slash and pretty much nothing else (apart from the fact that you get to choose who to side with). Those last quests were pretty much a waste of my time, they could have skipped them and rolled the final movie right away.

But that brings me to the point! (That's right folks, this post is soon over! :rolleyes:) I'm in kind of the same seat as SALZHERZ, since we seem to have similar taste, and "today's gamers" doesn't. The games I played in my early teens defined what gameing should be, and the games I play today all fail to live up to it. I played through KotOR 1 & 2, and they were allright, but not more. I tried a few other games, includeing Wizardry 8, Gothic, Morrowind and Lionheart without really them. In Lionheart I got halfway through (to the point where it turned from an RPG to a hackfest), but for some reason it never sucked me in, even though from what I remembered the elements for sucking me in seemed to be all there. I tried out Oblivion, but didn't get far before the unpersonality of the whole world hit me in the face, and I bought NWN2. I had really high hopes for NWN2, and the story seemed well made and the conversations with the (party) NPC's were well written. But it was 100% linear and exept for some minor quests (maybe) the quests were 100% combatoriented. Allmost no thinking was required to beat the game. I allso tried Jade Empire, but didn't really like it. Think I'll try that again sometime though...

I'm currentlly playing BG2. I tried it a year or two ago and I felt it was too heavy on combat, so I stopped. The only reason I can play it now is because my expentations are much lower. Sure, most of the quests I've played so far are combatoriented (in the forms of dungeoncrawls), but at least the combat floats better than NWN 2, and at least it's not as linear as NWN 2. And once in a while things that requires you to use your brain turns up (riddlesolveing for the most part, but allso other things). It's quite enjoyable, once you've accepted that it's not Ps:T. But I would want to experience what I experienced in my early teens again (it worked with Bloodlines, it could work again!). I'm just not sure when this will ever happen... You can allways hope for Dragon Age, but I haven't liked a single Biowaregame so far (exept Baldur's Gate 2, which was assisted by Black Isle according to wikipedia) so my hopes are kept low, despite the fact that it looks really really promising. But so did NWN2.

And on a sidenote: what's this Grimoire thingy? It seems interesting.

Übereil

Last edited:
Grimoire is an RPG in development. I don't know much more about it.

Grimoire is a classic story in itself. The game has been in development almost as long as you've been alive!! :) I'm a beta tester and have played it twice; it's VERY old school- think Wiz 7. There's an update about it on the main news page!!

Why don't you write a book about it ? :)
Seriously. Or at least a looong article for all to read - in ten years no-one might remember this. :)

I was recently talking with an elderly man about the surrounding villages. He came from one and even knew that there had been some webbers in his village.

My home town was famous for its cloth, back then, and a sign even told me that this cloth was even used on the Titanic !

Soon, no-one will know. No-one will remember. It is one of my goals in my life to preserve a little bit of that.

i don't think you missed Amberstar, Ambermoon (Amiga only), Albion?

btw, there is a bonus cd for Incubation, called "Wilderness Missions". It offers a new campaign, which is far more challenging. You can find it in the net.

Grimoire... well, no comment...

Sertorius,
thank you for this hint, will try this add-on. And yes, i played the games mentioned above. I really cant waiting for Eschalon: Book I, i have great hope for this game.

One additional point, i love to create my character or my party by myself. I played BG 2 (BG 1, IWD etc..) only in multiplayer mode. I cant handle a "Bye, must leave now, see you in ..." from a main character. (Like in Betrayal in Krondor). And i must admit that i need hours to create a party in a D&D game. I love to play different characters in Fallout, thinking about the perks, the stats....

We should handle this site *RPGWatch* with care, its one of the last hideaways for old school RPGlers in the real world. I think we will grow older, older, maybe we should carve our knowledge about good RPGs in stone...... and then we could rest in peace.

btw, there is a bonus cd for Incubation, called "Wilderness Missions". It offers a new campaign, which is far more challenging. You can find it in the net.

Yes, I even have it ... I think I should play the game once again ...

Back
Top Bottom