Here is an example why iPad can handle complex PC games

What I meant was the combat in the game was better than any rpg I ever played including pc ones. If they could combine that with good story and exploration and other aspects or gameplay it would be gold. Ive heard that is what they tried to do with horn and it looks remarkable from videos ive seen but not played it yet. Anyay, has a game with combat like i fi ity blade ever hit the wii. i imagine with the nunchauks and wii mote it would work even better than swipes and the game costs could afford greater development and big freeroam mode ala xenoblade as well. That would be the game of all games lol. Combine it with motion plus and its gold.

Either way, I think systems like the iPadand wii outside the boring traditional fat controller, are what is making me stay a gamer and stay interest in games. I got so bored of endlessshooters or turn based rpgs or diablo clones, but these sort of games and platforms make me glad to be a gamer. Not witcher 10, or final fantasy 20. I dont care about complex games I just want some good gameplay and intensity and adrenaline during combat. I want to feelart of the action and infinity blade doesthis to a degree.

Infinity Blade I/II are NOT RPG games.

Infinity Blade's combat was amusing but got annoying after 2 fights for me. The game is NOT a RPG as Mike was saying.

I would rather that computer rpg stay as far away as possible from this simplistic type of gameplay.

By the way, the interview above should answer all youre question. And adter watching it your style not ezcited about the potential of the platform, than god bless you. I am strictly talking tablets. I never game on my iPhone. IPad Mini is where its at. Fuk 3ds and vita.

The guys in the video mention how the iPad is really software defined hardware and it will take software to change the gaming habits of people who own one. It is a concept similar to sdn. Basically yea its mostly a big iPhone with cqsual games now, but this is quickly changing and software not hardware will drive this change.

Actually what is said is 'screen is smaller, hardware is weaker' ... but that they are working hard and have evolved to the point where they feel that they can bring 'pretty much' the same level of depth and gameplay to mobile and consoles as they do to the PC.

Right now that means:
- Scaled WAY back strategy game - Civ Rev
- Fun air combat strategy game - Ace Combat
- Port of 1 year old PC game - X-COM

Not bad at all, 3 very good games. But there remains a long way to go.

I STILL have no idea why you are here, by the way ...

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=277771

"History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge. Until, when chance came, the ring ensnared a new bearer. The ring came to the creature Gollum, who took it deep into the tunnels under the Misty Mountains, and there it consumed him. The ring gave to Gollum unnatural long life. For five hundred years it poisoned his mind; and in the gloom of Gollum's cave, it waited. Darkness crept back into the forests of the world. Rumor grew of a shadow in the East, whispers of a nameless fear, and the Ring of Power perceived. Its time had now come. It abandoned Gollum. But then something happened that the Ring did not intend. Gollum spent 18 hours a day on Zoklet, desperately seeking friendship amongst those who despised his mere presence."

Actually what is said is 'screen is smaller, hardware is weaker' … but that they are working hard and have evolved to the point where they feel that they can bring 'pretty much' the same level of depth and gameplay to mobile and consoles as they do to the PC.

Right now that means:
- Scaled WAY back strategy game - Civ Rev
- Fun air combat strategy game - Ace Combat
- Port of 1 year old PC game - X-COM

Not bad at all, 3 very good games. But there remains a long way to go.

I STILL have no idea why you are here, by the way …

I checked out some of X-Com, and the visuals are positively awful compared to both consoles and PC. It's incredibly obvious that iPad GPU can't handle much at all.

Well, at least that's how I see it.

I checked out some of X-Com, and the visuals are positively awful compared to both consoles and PC. It's incredibly obvious that iPad GPU can't handle much at all.

It isnt that the Ipad GPU is weak rather that they cater to the lowest common denominator for Ipads.

It isnt that the Ipad GPU is weak rather that they cater to the lowest common denominator for Ipads.

I think it's a combination, actually.

There's no reason they can't scale for iPad 4. Though, I can't be sure which version I've been seeing.

Graphics matter little when it comes to movile or handheld gaming. Nintendo always proved that against sega and recently sony. I still dont get why people cant scale their own graphics and figure out performance depending on what device they own though.

Awful? Simply not true. Not as good? Totally true. Why? More in a bit ...

And ... it depends on your comparison points, particularly on PC. If you are comparing a $500 iPad to a PC that runs on 200+W power supply with a $400+ dedicated GPU, then it is true - but a silly comparison.

Of course, the same comparison could be made between consoles and PC's - the vast majority of sales to consumers are laptops, so think about it this way ... you can buy a X360, PS3, extra controllers, and a flat panel for the price you would have to pay for a laptop to get the same experience. And those consoles are now 'end of life'.

Having spent some time with new Haswell-based 'Ultrabooks' over the last couple of weeks, it is pretty clear THAT is where the focus should be in terms of comparison.

So ... here is my comparison: the iPad can do a decent job of replicating the PC gaming experience of a 12-13" Ultrabook using a Intel HD graphics 4000 chipset. And considering that almost all new PC releases are playable on such a machine, that isn't too bad.

There's no reason they can't scale for iPad 4. Though, I can't be sure which version I've been seeing.

I think that the big and obvious reason is that the game is >10GB on my PC and 1.8GB on the iPad. They made a version that works across iPad 2+ (so it would include the Mini, which is the best selling tablet right now), but scaling graphics would require significantly more assets and a larger file size.

Awful? Simply not true. Not as good? Totally true. Why? More in a bit …

Are you saying my opinion is "objectively untrue"? ;)

How about we don't go there.

And … it depends on your comparison points, particularly on PC. If you are comparing a $500 iPad to a PC that runs on 200+W power supply with a $400+ dedicated GPU, then it is true - but a silly comparison.

I'd be fine just comparing with a console, really.

Of course, the same comparison could be made between consoles and PC's - the vast majority of sales to consumers are laptops, so think about it this way … you can buy a X360, PS3, extra controllers, and a flat panel for the price you would have to pay for a laptop to get the same experience. And those consoles are now 'end of life'.

This is relevant, because? I'm not talking about value.

Don't confuse the issue with irrelevant information.

All I'm saying is that iPad GPUs are weak when compared even to PS3 and Xbox 360.

So … here is my comparison: the iPad can do a decent job of replicating the PC gaming experience of a 12-13" Ultrabook using a Intel HD graphics 4000 chipset. And considering that almost all new PC releases are playable on such a machine, that isn't too bad.

If you want to talk about something that has nothing to do with what I'm saying, then I won't stop you.

Just don't expect me to be part of the conversation :)

I'm also not talking about 486 DX2's - just in case you go there too.

While I'm very sceptical about your objectivity when it comes to that 4000 chipset - I think I'll just let the matter rest.

People who want to believe the current iPads capable of matching a reasonably powerful PC or modern consoles like Xbox 360 and PS3 (and beyond) - should be allowed to believe it.

I just wanted to speak my piece.

I think that the big and obvious reason is that the game is >10GB on my PC and 1.8GB on the iPad. They made a version that works across iPad 2+ (so it would include the Mini, which is the best selling tablet right now), but scaling graphics would require significantly more assets and a larger file size.

You seem to believe it's just about assets - it's not. It's about poly-count and advanced shader effects - etc. Things that don't take up much space - if any.

If you look at stuff like lighting and shadows - the game is a joke compared to the Xbox 360 version.

As for the texture resolution - a very simple solution would be an optional texture pack.

Are you saying my opinion is "objectively untrue"? ;)

Haha ... no, not at all! :)

All I am saying is that I looked at X-COM on my iPad (a Mini, so I don't even have the Retina screen), and compared to the recent Mac release, and the PC game on my gaming laptop and my ultra book. And the iPad version, as you would expect, is well below the systems with dedicated GPUs, but pretty consistent with a system that is not at the bottom of the required specs.

I am only making that comparison because the HD4000 represents the majority of PC sales, and therefore the experience of MOST people playing games on the PC. The problem is when you say 'on the PC', it has different meanings ... so I go to the one that the majority of people own.

And I agree - it is perhaps best left to more objectively measurable things ... because otherwise you would have to concern yourself that the electricity required for a high-end PC or console + TV would allow you to buy & power an iPad every other year ;)

I joke - but the reality is that in a system that doesn't require a constant high-consumption power source (desktop PC, console) or drain power quickly and require complex, noisy cooling while still getting uncomfortably warm (high end laptop) ... the iPad has the ability to produce some amazing graphic *in that context*.

As for the texture resolution - a very simple solution would be an optional texture pack.

Good point - I assume that in an effort to get as much as possible onto the iPad 2 they scaled back on rendering complexity.

As for optional packs, you have to remember that the mobile devices are fairly unusual in that it is the norm that games are constantly patched to include an amazing array of additional features and functionality. PC and consoles get bug fixes and (aside from The Witcher and few others) that is it. Whether that will happen ... who knows. I estimate that it will depend on what they do with the next version of the iPad Mini.

Back
Top Bottom