My Deus Ex X 4 Playthought ( might contain spoilers )

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
So I recently picked up all the Deus Ex games as part of a humble bundle, and I thought I'd post my experience about playing through the series for the first time, 14 years after the release of the first game.

It'll not be a let's play kind of thing, just some random thoughts and such.

Also might contain spoilers, so don't read ahead unless you want spoilers.

Ok, so first step before I started on the first Deus Ex: Game of the year edition, some modding to get it in high screen resolution and a high-res texture pack... what a world of difference that made :) More details here and some screens are here:

http://www.snapvrs.org/pixel-boost-deus-ex-at-5k/

After the modding, I started in the first mission of the game, and just wow, there are so many ways to complete the mission, and it all depends on what skills, weapons and conversation options you choose, also there is optional goals which can be completed in a lot of ways. Just WOW, didn't play any modern game with this kind of freedom like ever. Also story starts out kind of interesting in this chapter.

Ok, so first step before I started on the first Deus Ex: Game of the year edition, some modding to get it in high screen resolution and a high-res texture pack… what a world of difference that made :) More details here and some screens are here:

http://www.snapvrs.org/pixel-boost-deus-ex-at-5k/

After the modding, I started in the first mission of the game, and just wow, there are so many ways to complete the mission, and it all depends on what skills, weapons and conversation options you choose, also there is optional goals which can be completed in a lot of ways. Just WOW, didn't play any modern game with this kind of freedom like ever. Also story starts out kind of interesting in this chapter.

It gets better, and the story and sense of urgency continues to the end. Even then you would still have missed many things and pathways as a results of your decisions and the clever level design.

Yes, there is a lot of fun to be had on the first visit to the UNATCO HQ, you can even mess with a lady in the toilet and your boss will comment on that LOL, what an attention to detail.

You also need to consider what equipment you want on your next mission and whatever to be peaceful or a killer machine... really like that! Also the other workers in the HQ are really chatty and you can learn a lot of information, some of them also prefer if you are peaceful while others appear to be killer machines! That agent Navarre which I have to work with next appears to be the later. There are also news paper spread out commenting on what is happening, magazines and all sort of stuff, this is really the attention needed to create a believable world!

Yes, there is a lot of fun to be had on the first visit to the UNATCO HQ, you can even mess with a lady in the toilet and your boss will comment on that LOL, what an attention to detail.

You also need to consider what equipment you want on your next mission and whatever to be peaceful or a killer machine… really like that! Also the other workers in the HQ are really chatty and you can learn a lot of information, some of them also prefer if you are peaceful while others appear to be killer machines! That agent Navarre which I have to work with next appears to be the later. There are also news paper spread out commenting on what is happening, magazines and all sort of stuff, this is really the attention needed to create a believable world!

Exactly, this ripple effect of your decisions and freedom are very impressive. I don't think that this is yet matched even in DX:HR.

No spoilers but watch out for agent Navarre by the way, you can be best friends or .... later on!

Yeah I came in late to the Deus Ex franchise myself, played them both last year and I was very impressed. All in all I still prefer turn based stuff, but these were a delight to play at the time.

Deus Ex was only surpassed by VtM: Bloodlines in terms of branching gameplay and character development choices & consequences. I'm playing DX: HR right now and it doesn't really compare: I preferred the either-or approach to augments in Deus Ex and its character skills.

Either way, keep us updated. :)

Ok, now let's find that bottle of ambroisa ( a vaccine to cure the sick people in the Deus Ex world, for those who don't know )

Me and agent Navarre is going in together against a bunch of terrorists, there is a big shoot-out and a lot of terrorists die. Now, let's see what is inside the building.... not that much, there is a kid though, which if he gets some food will give some clues.

I gave him some soy food! And he gave me a few hints. Time to explore the surrounding area... hmm this candy machine looks suspicious... let's see if I can hack it!

Voilà, a secret tunnel, ok now let's get down there!

Using some of my amazing swimming skills, as well as the pistol skills getting to the barrel was a piece of cake, now for some hostage clearing situation in the subway!

They setup some pretty nasty bombs and barricades down there, and there are a couple of hostages... ok, first an EMP grenade to disable those stuffs.. and then let's use my super human strength to place a big huge box to hide behind... now just to head-shot them one-by-one to save some ammo. Time to take the subway and meet my brother, that's going to be nice!

Me and agent Navarre is going in together against a bunch of terrorists, there is a big shoot-out and a lot of terrorists die. Now, let's see what is inside the building…. not that much, there is a kid though, which if he gets some food will give some clues.

You could have told Navarre to wait outside if you wanted to take them out in a non-lethal manner. Just an example of how almost everything in Deus Ex has multiple ways to approach it.

Yes, I love how my brother started complaining that I use too much force, and also how the armoury guy gave me more none lethal weapons because he thought I used too much violence! So when I noticed that unlike normal games people actually cared a lot about it, I decided to start using a lot less killing violence! really really enjoy those sort of things.

Ok, now time to resolve some complicated situations in hells kitchen! The evil terrorists have hideout here somewhere, and I need to find it! My brother has a apartment in the 'ton hotel which should be worth a visit.. and there is a place called the underground where I should be able to get some information.

Also what's up with how the girls are dressed in this place? It doesn't leave much to the imagination.

I'm going to try a replay of this soon, I think.

What are the best visual upgrades - and how is that big GMDX (or whatever) mod? Is it a new game or just an enhanced one?

I'm not a purist - but I don't want some amateur-hour make-over. So, if anyone has experience with the best mods, please tell me what they are ;)

I didn't try the GMDX mod, as I wanted to play it as much as the original was for the first time play-through, however the other mods is linked in the beginning of this thread...

I didn't try the GMDX mod, as I wanted to play it as much as the original was for the first time play-through, however the other mods is linked in the beginning of this thread…

Thanks… I just wondered if anything more recent had been developed and tested :)

Now as a first step, time to checkout this place called the underground, there is a girl which appears to also have some kind of modifications on here running the place, she appears to know something but she doesn't give that much useful info.

There is also a pilot guy which appears to know my brother and he has a lot to say about him, should he be drinking if he is supposed to be flying though ? After awhile he has had enough... since he has to fly soon.. hmmm wouldn't want to fly with him.

Next up there is some kind of fishy reporter guy, should I talk to him? I guess as a agent it is not the best of ideas... well, why not have a chat.. might be I'm going to regret that later?

Now there is also some more scantly glad girls which appears to be having trouble with some jojo guy, and his friends... one of them is trapped out back in the alley.. something to look into, first let's hack the bank terminals for some money though!

Now, out in the back there is a guy messing with the scantly clad girl! When I tell him to stop he quickly pulls out a gun and is about to shoot her, as well as me, but I'm too fast and manage to pull my gun and kill him and save the woman!

I love how you can fail or succeed in almost everything, and most people can die or survive fantastic!

Anyway the woman appears to be the daughter of the hotel owner, and she also has some useful info. She also appears to be fighting with her dad and she doesn't want to go back to him at the hotel. I guess that is where I should head next, rumour has it some hostage situation is going on there!

Last edited:
Now welcome to the 'ton hotell! The place appears kind of deserted, however there is a guy at the counter, just as I go to talk to him, I am attacked by one of the terrorists! however I mange to pull up the gun and kill him, before he can shoot any of us. The man at the counter says there is a hostage situation going on upstairs!

Time to look around for options, I found some key cards for a room, and also an empty elevator shack, probably a good opportunity to climb up and surprise to kidnappers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom