Enemies that make you stop playing

Menigal

Extractor of Madness
Not long ago I finally forced myself to finish Skyrim: Dawnguard, which required me to fight my way through a dungeon of falmer and their insect pets. At that point I knew I would probably never play through Dawnguard again.

I just can't stand fighting those things and tend to avoid any dungeon that forces me to deal with them. I say, "Wow, Blackreach is amazingly beautiful and a good chance to explore a huge dwemer city. Oh, wait, it's just a big falmer lair, so to hell with that."

It's not that they're hard. It's not that they're creepy. It's just that they're so damn tedious! They're standard humanish baddies, but with a tendency to hit-point sponginess, and they tend to come in large groups. Their pets are somehow even worse, and use poison to be extra annoying. You wouldn't think they would be any more irritating than bandits and spiders, but somehow I find them so much worse.

Thankfully Skyrim's open enough that I can find plenty to do without having to slog through these guys, but with other games you can't always avoid baddies like this.

Are there any enemies that inspire you to walk away from a game, or even just one part of it?

Yea, there is a type of enemies that make me stop playing the game. Enemies that respawn. I just hate playing any game where your character or party is mortal, but enemies are not.
You already knew that.

What you probably didn't know is that I despise adding races into nonracing genre. Yes I did and won races in Kotor, but would I run them again in game replay? No.
Another example is Mafia. Adored by everyone, yet I've uninstalled it when I got a quest to drive some sort of formula.
There are some counterexamples though, Brutal Legend has a sort of races in it, but it's designed not as a race but just a drive through obstacles in some odd and fun way so in the case of that game, it actually "drove" me to play more. Another game where "racing" but in fact driving and getting things done while driving was designed well was Full Throttle.
Not quite an enemy, but still. Racing in a nonrace game will make me stop playing it completely.

To me it's usually in jRPGs, the final bosses, that take a looong time to kill and then 99% of the time, they turn into a more powerful monster. Most of the times when this happens and I die by the 2nd (and sometimes 3rd form of the boss), I just consider the game completed, and go to youtube to watch the ending.

The rakghouls from KOTOR 1's undercity area. They had the annoying habit of constantly poisoning you. That entire section is a large part of the reason for why I've never bothered replaying the game. It was not a particularly hard section, but it was incredibly annoying.

But I tend to dislike any area that contains large amounts of enemies that can poison you.
Another example is Mafia. Adored by everyone, yet I've uninstalled it when I got a quest to drive some sort of formula.

That section was just a huge difficulty spike, and I don't know of anyone who actually enjoyed it. The two mandatory driving sections in that game are usually considered to be the hardest parts of the game (the first one is the one right at the start of the game).

To me it's usually (...) the final bosses, that take a looong time to kill (...) Most of the times when this happens (...) I just consider the game completed, and go to youtube to watch the ending.
I second that.

The will o'wisps in Oblivion was really annoying, on the other hand Oblivion became rather annoying pretty fast as well, so I can't say they are what made me stop.

In Diablo 2 griswold monster was very annoying, I would finish the game on all difficulties but leave him be...

I mostly enjoy J-RPG bosses, but in Final Fantasy 3 ( NES Version, not the FF 6 which is called 3 in US ) I however never managed to beat the final boss, which prevented me from finishing the game. The most annoying part of that was that I didn't have any save except for at the boss so I could not go back and level up in order to beat him!

In Shadowrun Returns, the typical dungeon will last about 20 minutes. For whatever reason, they decided the last two dungeons should last a couple hours each. I slogged through the first one and when I found out I had to do one more, I just went to watch the ending on youtube. Wasn't going to slog through 100 super spiders just to fight the final battle.

In Shadowrun Returns, the typical dungeon will last about 20 minutes. For whatever reason, they decided the last two dungeons should last a couple hours each. I slogged through the first one and when I found out I had to do one more, I just went to watch the ending on youtube. Wasn't going to slog through 100 super spiders just to fight the final battle.

To be fair, the endgame dungeons in SRR do have multiple checkpoint saves instead of the single save that most of the other areas have. The final battle was actually pretty decent, and it wasn't as tedious as I was expecting.

Of course that doesn't change my opinion that the save system in SRR is a joke. :)

Yea, there is a type of enemies that make me stop playing the game. Enemies that respawn. I just hate playing any game where your character or party is mortal, but enemies are not.
You already knew that.

What you probably didn't know is that I despise adding races into nonracing genre. Yes I did and won races in Kotor, but would I run them again in game replay? No.
There are some counterexamples though, Brutal Legend has a sort of races in it, but it's designed not as a race but just a drive through obstacles in some odd and fun way so in the case of that game, it actually "drove" me to play more. Another game where "racing" but in fact driving and getting things done while driving was designed well was Full Throttle.
Not quite an enemy, but still. Racing in a nonrace game will make me stop playing it completely.

Haha! I remember that race in Mafia. It became a personal challenege I set for myself to finish that damn race. I even enlisted a friend to help me clear that level. I ended being the one who won :biggrin:. But yeah, I am not a big fan of racing either. It's more the satisfaction I get out of winning the race than the race itself.

In reality, I think I forgave it because it was just one level.

For KOTOR however, I don't see a problem, since it's entirely optional (as far as I can remember).

Yup, in Kotor, unlike Mafia, it's optional.

I have noticed that my tolerance for crazy end bosses and general slogfests has declined with age - when I was a young lad I would wade through hours of monotonous combat. No longer! Who knows how many years I have left - don't want to squander time on drawn out encounters. blech! I play as far as I can, repeat N times for hard combats (where N is small positive integer) and then grab a cheat to move forward. There, I said it. Oh the shame!

Game-breaking c*nts? There's the obvious recent one - the first boss in the newest Deus Ex.

Up until that point, the game really does let you play and develop your character to your own particular style of play. I chose stealthy, zero-kill hacker. Except the first boss fight directly railroads you into a toe-to-toe, stand-up scrap. Don't have any gun skills (or even guns) because they've been entirely unnecessary until this point? Best restart then, Billy-take-the-devs-at-their-word-about-multiple-paths-through-the-game.

(Dishonoured is a vast improvement on this front. You can genuinely play through the game without killing anyone. And the multiple approaches to missions are genuinely varied.)

Game styles stop me from playing games, not opponents. For instance, a game that sells itself as an rpg but is really a shooter, ie, ME 3, is an instant refund for me. If the genre is right, a hard opponent only makes me want to play more, not less.

-Carn

I search the big bad boys and always find ways to kill them…

The Falmer Dungeons were pretty easy for example if you used ranged weapons, stealth and Serana as partner. You need a good bow skill, though.

Yeah, that's basically my problem with Deus Ex: HR. It's a really nice stealth 'em up all the way up until it suddenly isn't!

End boss in Risen. Sorta a letdown when battling the enemies before it.. On the bright side the game ended with it (I'm being overly critical here.. hehe).

Honerable mention: Shinobi on arcades. If you died on the last level, you could not use continue and had to start all over. Only game that managed to get me furious. Beat it the next playthrough though and never looked back.

Every boss battle that forces completely different gameplay on the player and requires some very hidden trick before the boss is even vulnerable. Bonus douchebag points for bosses that regenerate or have hidden extra lifes. One of the main reasons I dumped consoles and never looked back.

Oh and throw Gothic 3 boars in mix :evil:

Golems in Arcanum.
They degrade melee weapons when hit and armor when they hit, in dungeons where there is plenty of then like abandon dwarf stronghold, If you don't have repair skill, you had to go back to town and repair several times in single dungeon, very annoying.

I dont think I've quit due to enemies, more the situations. How theyre used.

For instance - Darkspawn in the Dragon Age. I'm still sick of them. Complete overkill, you cant swing a stick without hitting one in either game. The rooms chock full of them towards the end of DA:0, and their paratrooper bretheren in DA2 had me begging for a merciful end.

I couldnt quit tho. DA:0 was the closest thing I'd played to Infinity since then, and DA2 was more not letting it beat me out of spite.

Re4's kill-em-again head-sprouting enemies were annoying, the morphing enemies always wear on you. Still fun tho, and imo RE4 had some of the best boss battles of the decade. Just difficult enough to be challenging, and maybe even rage-quit once. But you come back later and win on the first try. That's satisfying

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom