Virtual Reality - Climbing New Heights

I'm really keen to have a go. My main concern is how uncomfortable the headsets look. I can't wear headphones for very long before they start to bother me, and these things look horrendous.

Meh still not interested. That's all I have to say on this topic.:)

I'm chomping at the bit for VR. Your machine is going to need some serious beef to play it, though. (And three USB 3.0 ports, from the sound of it.)

Heard it can be a pretty damn intense experience with certain types of games, like Alien Isolation or something.
GameSpot played it with Alien: Isolation
https://youtu.be/bwLUHEG4oNs
(warning, there may be one or two naughty words… per second)

Speaking of climbing: http://www.pcgamer.com/its-you-versus-the-mountain-in-cryteks-new-vr-game/

Saw some Crytek's Oculus demo.
Spotted that minimum spec is GTX970.
The game is - climb, climb, climb. And climb. More climb. Nothing else.

Pathetic.

I'm pre-ordering an Oculus Rift as soon as it can be pre-ordered.

I'm pre-ordering an Oculus Rift as soon as it can be pre-ordered.

Same here. In addition I am still waiting to upgrade my PC when it releases.

Elite Dangerous Horizons now requires a gtx980 and I hope that when it releases the new pascal generation is already out.

VR has been a dream of mine since I have read Wolfgang Hohlbein's "Schattenjagd" like 15 years ago.

Only used the DK1 yet, but the experience was already amazing. Even with games and demos which completely sucked in the graphics and game design department.

For now the stuff I am going to check is:

Simulations:
Elite Dangerous
Euro Truck Simulator
Eve Valkyrie (now packaged with Oculus)

RPGs (still in Development):
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Frontiers

Demos:
Discovering Space
Dinosaur Island

Horror:
While I actually finished Amnesia I am not a big fan of the Horror Genre.
However a friend is creating a cool looking game which is made with VR in mind.
Crescent

Also there seems to be already some support for VR in Minecraft

EVE:Valkyrie got a review on PCGamer (6/10):
http://www.pcgamer.com/eve-valkyrie-review/

I didn't read it in detail, honestly, but seems to me that the product is designed as a phonegame on a new gadgetery. No substance, only style. A turd in shiny wrapping.

VR is still a baby, we'll probably have to wait some more till something spectacular actually appears. Something that's so epic we'll all want to buy the helmet.

It is not FO4, it won't be DX4, ME4 nor it'll be Cyberpunk2077, all there are or will be normal games. But... How about mods?
Maybe I should remove my pink glasses

Yeah, heared that from a different source...

That said I would say there is Elite Dangerous already, isn't there?

To me it's a good thing.

1. I prefer Oculus to Vive (I'd prefer it being leightweight and I don't see much use of being able to move around in a room)
2. Oculus almost felt like a sinking ship with all the hype the Vive was getting. Can only be good for competition if both of them get pushed.

My Rift should show up in a couple of weeks, but I probably still won't have the GTX-1070 I'll buy for it.

the evidence collected over 20 years of flight simulation experience with VR goggles (only we called them “Helmet Mounted Displays” - HMD’s
Hey, I call those stuff helmet too!
And noone will persuade me into saying "goggles". It's just not that!

IMHO - these devices should be banned - but that may not be necessary because after the first wave of early adopters I think it’ll go the way of 3D televisions.
Eh? What happened with 3D televisions? I still didn't buy one, should I?

US Military advises against flying a plane or even driving a car for 24 hours after being inside a simulator.
Thank god I don't own a plane. Nor currently a car. :D

Superb article.
However, I'm a person who wants to taste any kind of magic mushrooms. I might vomit, so what. Won't be the first time... evilgrin:

Yeah, whatever. A lot of that article would apply to 3D Vision, too (eye lenses focus at screen depth but triangulation says otherwise) and I can tell you that just doesn't happen.

So anyway, I got my Rift today! I just got it together, played its little demo, watched some of my own 3D videos I recorded with 3D Vision, and got SteamVR working.

The recordings worked OK once I started using the Lunar theater, which made the screen just a bit bigger than what my normal screen is. (Even a bit bigger is enough to mess with distant objects, though, when you've got serious 3D going. A distant object should have a separation that matches the distance between your eyes. Any further and the triangulation doesn't work!) I expect they will work better using that Virtual Monitor software.

The headset fits over glasses just fine, by the way, but glasses do make it a bit harder to put on the headset.

P.S. You know, those T-Rex dinosaurs are pretty FRIGGAN BIG!

I'm guessing they are saying Vive because Oculus still doesn't have a proper controller. Hard to say for sure, though.

Oh. You guys might find this interesting - I almost posted this as news. Gabe Newell believes VR-exclusive games wouldn't be good for anyone. I hope he means what he says.

Back
Top Bottom