GFX card suggestions?

V7

Keeper of the Watch
Been considering upgrading my card to something a little more modern to keep me going till I get a new desktop. The current one is a 6-something which kept me going up to the last generation of games (gave up on the second chapter of the Witcher). Any suggestions for a good value card? And any compaines I shoudl keep an eye out for?

The HD3850 has an excellent bang for your buck.
And for a card that cheap, it has been running the Witcher like a dream.
I never pay more than 100euros for a GFX card.

ASUS is the best manufacturer of these cards. Their models come with the excellent glaciator fansinks that are both silent and extremely efficient, they
are also factory overclocked.

If you're not looking to spend a ton of money but still want good performance, I'd go with a GeForce 8800 GT. They can be had for well under $200, yet still provide higher middle class performance. I wouldn't worry about which name-brand you choose, they all use the nVidia reference design, although some are clocked slightly higher for a premium price. I would just get whatever one is on sale.

The HD3850 has an excellent bang for your buck.

yes, the last generation ATI cards are excellent! good price good performance! I second this suggestion.

Id say either GTX260 or 48xx series. With those you can get full-2-medium level details for the next five or six years. I bought a 8800GTS (similarily priced around 200-300euros) almost three years ago and Im still running new games on full detail i.e mass effect gave 60fps with all maxed - If I drop the details to medium I bet I could go for another three or four years atleast.

Now as we are nearing holiday season - a lot nice offers are on the horizon. The latest case is from EVGA, offering full version of Far Cry 2 with 260 and 280 graphics cards. http://www.evga.com/farcry2/

If they're too expensive, you could get the shinny new HD 4830. Words on the street is that the card performed very well against nVidia 9800GT or simply beat it, with price around $120. It also performs better than HD4670. http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10116&Itemid=1

Been considering upgrading my card to something a little more modern to keep me going till I get a new desktop. The current one is a 6-something which kept me going up to the last generation of games (gave up on the second chapter of the Witcher). Any suggestions for a good value card? And any compaines I shoudl keep an eye out for?

Please post your complete specs. Newer cards require a decent PC to get to full speed.
Are you sure you have a PCI-Express slot? GeForce 6 cards were also made for AGP.

You can find a lot of bang for 120-150 bucks. Below that you have to look carefully, but you can still find cards which are way faster than a GeForce 6.

Its a PCI-express, with an AMD dual core (2GHz) and I'll pick up some more RAM (1 GB currently).

Okay, then the easiest solution is indeed a GeForce 9800GT for 120$. Check a few reviews to make sure the piece you want to buy is silent.

Thanks everyone, I'll have a shop around

Back
Top Bottom