Dishonored - Previews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are two previews of Dishonored from a hands-on session at Gamescom.
Videogamer:
Right from the start of the demo, it's clear that we're playing a game with whopping ambitions. We enter the level by boat, a moody opening that quickly segues onto your first problem: how best to infiltrate the party. After a few unsuccessful attempts at freezing time and sneaking past the guards, I end up possessing one of the watchmen and walking him up to a convenient spot near the front gate. As he regains control of his body, he has just enough time to vomit his guts up (possession does this, it would seem) before I ventilate his neck. After this, I use the Blink power to teleport over the fence. Shortly thereafter I manage to find myself an invitation, and stroll in the front door.
CVG:
The level is also full of ways to infiltrate the party itself. Our method was picking up an invitation that a guest dropped, but we could have possessed a fish in the river and swam up a drainpipe, or entered through the sewers. The sheer amount of freedom, and ways to complete your objectives, is dizzying. Arkane have cited Deus Ex and Thief as reflecting Dishonored's 'core values', and it shows. It feels like a spiritual successor to both of those games, with a little bit of Hitman and BioShock thrown in - but it still has a totally unique identity of its own.
More information.

:sweatdrop: Must... not... succumb... to... hype...!

Been there, done that in the Hitman series and Thief (without magical powers ofcourse). I would be interested if it is half as descent as these games, but worried about all these powers overpowering the gameplay with the choices determined by one's imagination rather than the difficulty of the situation and/or AI.

The powers puts me off too a bit.. They seems to have been put in because they're "awesome!!!!!1 …and the kids love it!!" and not because they go perfect with the lore/setting or makes for a challenging and fun game. Just the impression i get, which obviously could turn out to be wrong.

Hmmm. Guess I'm getting younger again!

I'm a bit on and off about this game. I keep hearing good things, but the videos and screenshots remind me of a game intended for teenagers with all that stabbing and slashing. Also, I really don't like that it's supposed to be rather short (I think around 12 hours). Hyping myself up for a game that I'll be done with in less than a weekend - seems almost pointless.

One of the things that I really liked about the last Deus Ex - was that it had plenty of meat on it. The pacing towards the end was kinda off, and the upgrades system ruined replayability by giving you pretty much everything - but for my sake, it could have used another hub. I love the stealth/cerebral gameplay so much that a really strong implementation needs to last more than a dozen hours to hit a homerun.

Still, there are so few of these games that I'll end up getting it regardless.

I'm a bit on and off about this game. I keep hearing good things, but the videos and screenshots remind me of a game intended for teenagers with all that stabbing and slashing. Also, I really don't like that it's supposed to be rather short (I think around 12 hours). Hyping myself up for a game that I'll be done with in less than a weekend - seems almost pointless.

One of the things that I really liked about the last Deus Ex - was that it had plenty of meat on it. The pacing towards the end was kinda off, and the upgrades system ruined replayability by giving you pretty much everything - but for my sake, it could have used another hub. I love the stealth/cerebral gameplay so much that a really strong implementation needs to last more than a dozen hours to hit a homerun.

Still, there are so few of these games that I'll end up getting it regardless.

I'm ok with the stabbing and slashing, I more concerned with no 3rd person view. I like to see more of my environment when sneaking around even if it lessens the immersion factor.

You get 12 hours of gaming out of a weekend. I'm jealous , Im lucky to get a third of that between work, wife and kids. 12 hour game would probably take me a month unless it's good enough for me to give up some sleep for.

I'm ok with the stabbing and slashing, I more concerned with no 3rd person view. I like to see more of my environment when sneaking around even if it lessens the immersion factor.

You get 12 hours of gaming out of a weekend. I'm jealous , Im lucky to get a third of that between work, wife and kids. 12 hour game would probably take me a month unless it's good enough for me to give up some sleep for.

Well, it's a matter of priorities. I hardly ever game for 12 hours in a weekend - but that's because there are so few games I feel are worthy of that investment. But if something special comes out, I tend to plan ahead and dedicate my time to it.

I find that most games lose a lot of their impact if you spread the experience too thin, and I'm notoriously bad at getting back into a game after an extended break.

For something like Dishonored, I'd most likely have a few days lined up just for that experience.

Thankfully, I don't work on weekends - and my GF is fine with me taking the time for gaming, as long as I don't do it too much.

Well, it's a matter of priorities. I hardly ever game for 12 hours in a weekend - but that's because there are so few games I feel are worthy of that investment. But if something special comes out, I tend to plan ahead and dedicate my time to it.

I find that most games lose a lot of their impact if you spread the experience too thin, and I'm notoriously bad at getting back into a game after an extended break.

I agree 100% there. I often end up not finishing games because I start over after a long layoff, after getting 15 hours in to a game 2-3 times I end up losing interest.

For something like Dishonored, I'd most likely have a few days lined up just for that experience.

Thankfully, I don't work on weekends - and my GF is fine with me taking the time for gaming, as long as I don't do it too much.

Well, I own my own business so I do the work during the week, then get stuck doing paperwork on the weekends then when I'm done with that I spend the rest of my time with the family since I don't see them much during the week. Then I have time to game which pretty much is after 11 pm. On days when I'm not to tired. I have actually fallen asleep in the middle of playing before, it's kinda funny but sad at the same time.

If not for my iPad I wouldn't even have time to post. I'm sure there are some who are now hoping my iPad breaks.:D

Been there, done that in the Hitman series and Thief (without magical powers ofcourse). I would be interested if it is half as descent as these games, but worried about all these powers overpowering the gameplay with the choices determined by one's imagination rather than the difficulty of the situation and/or AI.

The choices do seem tantalizing, but my guess is this is the level meant to show off everything as far as player choice goes, and the ideal demo level for the press. I could be wrong, but I suspect other levels will require more critical judgement to determine clever ways to circumvent obstacles. Or so I hope.

Back
Top Bottom