Underworld Ascendant - Lava Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OtherSide Entertainment talks about lava in the next post-funding update.

Last week Chris talked about how we want to build a living, breathing ecology for Underworld Ascendant in which players will be able to adventure and explore. This week, Chris wants to discuss how we can burn it all down...

Lava. In games lava is most often usually done simply as a static river or pool of red liquid. Deadly to step into, but otherwise just a passive barrier to walk around.

Which is weird. Actual lava is an odd substance. It destroys pretty much anything it touches, but at the same time creates land. It is most often flowing, unpredictable, and violent. Sure, there are slow flows on the big Island of Hawaii. But as a game element, how much fun is that? It’s only good as a jump puzzle or perceived danger. So how can something like lava be used in a game world in a more interesting way?

There are two types of lava we will want to play with, basically thick and thin. Thick lava with high viscosity flows slowly and builds up on itself. This type is called A’a’, Hawaiian for stony rough lava.
More information.

Wish I would get updates as a PayPal backer, like I got for PoE and TToN.

Just send a request via the official forums; they should oblige you. :)

http://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php

This game is definitely my most expensive Kickstarter - I invested more in this project than in Pillars of Eternity. Enjoying reading the updates so far.

Back
Top Bottom