Dragon Age 2 - DLC - Item Pack - Available

This definitely gives me Horse Armor vibes. It may not be quite as bad, but it's certainly in the same league.

Edit: The armors are really cool looking though, especially the Warrior one. Too bad they're not free or in the game at launch.

I consider the Horse Armor DLC mostly harmless, if still a totally superfluous and cheap way to make money. That's because it granted no inherent advantage beyond the cosmetic change.

Once you start giving actual advantages like weapons without actual story/quest/whatever content to solve first, it becomes a major issue.

When did these people forget what playing games is all about?

I consider the Horse Armor DLC mostly harmless, if still a totally superfluous and cheap way to make money. That's because it granted no inherent advantage beyond the cosmetic change.

Once you start giving actual advantages like weapons without actual story/quest/whatever content to solve first, it becomes a major issue.

When did these people forget what playing games is all about?

Apparently in the search to maximize there profits of course. Minimal work for a huge profit is a publisher dream and a portent of the future of the games industry. Social and causal gaming prove the philosophy and its driving the market now.

I must repent because despite all my outrage and for lack of a better term, "butthurt", as our codexian cousins would so eloquently put it, like the horse armor I'm curious to actually see what you get for the money in the game itself.

Almost. I'll stand on my principles on this one.

***sits and quietly hums "we shall overcome"***

I must repent because despite all my outrage and for lack of a better term, "butthurt", as our codexian cousins would so eloquently put it, like the horse armor I'm curious to actually see what you get for the money in the game itself.

Almost. I'll stand on my principles on this one.

***sits and quietly hums "we shall overcome"***

You get this.

item_pack-01-screenshot-rogue-p.jpg

item_pack-01-screenshot-mage-p.jpg

item_pack-01-screenshot-warrior-p.jpg

The game is about £10 to £13 on Amazon now.
Should I get it?

sorry, doesnt do anything for me unless it's my character in action

Not mine either the pics were taken off of Bioware's site. I cant see myself wasting $5 for what I can make in the toolset which will never be released.

IIRC, it gave your horse more HP. Mind you I can't say my horse was under attack very often, or really ever, now that I think about it. I think I may have accidentally hit it myself once or twice and that was about the extent of his being attacked. ;)

It's been a while, but I think they did have Lynda Carter record a line or two of original dialog for the Orc selling the horse armor at least.

I'd also note that Bethesda did release a construction set and some other modding tools for free while EAware conveniently refuses to do so with DA2

This stuff is of course purely optional and superfluous, which makes it hard to be angry about. That said it's kind of insulting to ask people who gave you $50 or so for the game to pay another $5 for some outfits.

This stuff is of course purely optional and superfluous, which makes it hard to be angry about. That said it's kind of insulting to ask people who gave you $50 or so for the game to pay another $5 for some outfits.

Why get insulted? They're presenting an option for a microtransaction, if people want it they can get it, if they don't it doesn't matter.

I don't get insulted, I just find it tasteless.

It matters if enough people get it, because then it might eventually signal a replacement of the "design norm" that would otherwise be the case - which is sound game balance.

Developers have already all but ignored proper game balance for a long time, and if they start making available powerful or wanted items through pre-order deals or DLC like this as the norm (isn't it already?), the whole idea of balancing the game within its own universe will ultimately be pointless.

If you have no problem with developers exploiting the majority, then you must have a lot more faith in the ability of the majority to "vote" in a way that's beneficial to everyone, including themselves. I could mention why much of the world is suffering from financial recession - but I won't.

At this stage, exploiting the impulse-buy mindset of the overworked and underpriviliged (in terms of time available to play and have fun) is the popular way to do business. People don't really have time to play, but they might have surplus money - so the natural reaction is to "pay" instead of playing for content, right?

What do you suppose the gaming experience will become, if - finally - everyone is expected to pay for progress - rather than actually "playing" towards it. It will be instant - but costly - satisfaction until the whole concept of being satisfied is meaningless and void.

DLC like this is akin to cheating. We've all been tempted to cheat, and I'm sure we all tried it in our youth - or maybe we still do. Some people still buy gold or other advantages in popular MMOs, because they believe that is the most entertaining or productive way to play games. I challenge that position, and I claim they don't really understand the long-term effect of such behavior.

If this is supported, we'll potentially come to a point where getting advantages through cash-money is the way to go - because that's how the products will be marketed.

I don't know about you, but pretending like DLC isn't hurting the experience long-term, is not for me.

I know this notion of "it's optional, so you don't have to" and I find it both naive and shortsighted.

No, I don't have to - and I also don't have to use drugs. That I choose not to, doesn't mean I should just ignore that it goes on.

No games aren't life-threatening - but the hobby is dear to me, and I'd like to do my bit to ensure its future as quality entertainment.

Last edited:
DArtagnan I couldn't agree with anymore and what you said is the truth. Now bear with me as I paint a future scenario.

I have a idea for the perfect dlc scheme.Just release a simple client and everything else will be buyable through a DLC system. At character creation you will pick your character options and you will be presented with a bill. The DLC buying scheme will continue, every quest, every armor, every item, every city you can visit you will have to buy. The prices will be quite low, few cents, just to make people think that its no money at all. Then sit back and watch while you spend all your money just playing the game.

There take a breath and breathe its a nightmare for now but its coming true little by little. I dont want this future.

DArtagnan I couldn't agree with anymore and what you said is the truth. Now bear with me as I paint a future scenario.

I have a idea for the perfect dlc scheme.Just release a simple client and everything else will be buyable through a DLC system. At character creation you will pick your character options and you will be presented with a bill. The DLC buying scheme will continue, every quest, every armor, every item, every city you can visit you will have to buy. The prices will be quite low, few cents, just to make people think that its no money at all. Then sit back and watch while you spend all your money just playing the game.

There take a breath and breathe its a nightmare for now but its coming true little by little. I dont want this future.

I fear it's not that far from the truth, sadly.

The issue is how slowly it's happening, and how eagerly people seem to be either supporting it or brushing it aside as a non-issue.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the cellphone market already work like that,you know with all the ring tone and other stuff. And now EA want to put better advertising in their games (and still make people pay $60 for them).

As I understand you can get like 6, 8 or 10 DLCs for Witcher 2, but only one (1) installed at nay given time - to balance the game. As dor DLC, the experience I had with items from DLC in Origins is that they're that powerfull - as you find loot in the game that are more powerfull than those in the dlcs. Don't if the same is true for DA2, though. But I do like the way Witcher 2 seems to be handle game (combat) balance and DLC.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the cellphone market already work like that,you know with all the ring tone and other stuff. And now EA want to put better advertising in their games (and still make people pay $60 for them).

But nothing on the scale I posted. I was talking about a game were everything you do must be purchased nothing free. So my bubble is not burst yet.

Your "simple client, everything's extra" scheme looks indeed to me like the future.

However, it will be only the future of those companies which are completely commercially oriented - the contrast - as I see it - will be the Indies who'll remind players that there's still the possibility to get all stuff in ONE package …

But it could also be that "the big players" might try to erase Indies compltely … No opposition, no choice, not even the hint to a possible choice, an Oligopoly of the market … It would be like a totalitarian state but in terms of video games market …

It pretty much already is like that in the US. EA has been swallowing up smaller publishers for years. Who is left that making RPGs in the US that isn't in EA's pocket? Bethesda and Obsidian I guess and it doesn't look like the latter is doing too well right now.

As for all this micro transaction crap, I blame Farmville. Once the big greedy publishers like EA saw that people were willing to buy their way ahead and pay for silly stuff like virtual turnips they were all over it. Also, in terms of ethics, Zynga makes EA look like girl scouts. They freely admitted they got where they are by partnering with scam offers and even laughed about it.

http://techcrunch.com/2009/11/06/zynga-scamville-mark-pinkus-faceboo/

Everyone wants a piece of 'casual gaming' these days. EA is desperately trying to gain headway into the Facebook games market. They recently launched Dragon Age Legends which of course has lots of opportunities to buy powerful items for real money. Ironically, they just lost their Chief Operating Officer to Zynga. All I can say is Zynga must have an awful lot of cash to throw around from people paying for virtual produce.

Even Richard Garriott of Ultima fame has been talking lately that casual gaming is the wave of the future.

We'll see. It's certainly not a trend I am fond of.

Back
Top Bottom