Sui Generis - Exanima Beta Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
After months of silence Bare Mettle Entertainment has released a new kickstarter update this week about the games development, and a new Exanima Beta.

This update is about the beta launch of Exanima but first we think we should address the elephant in the room. Why the lack of updates? What's happening with the game's development?

Let's be honest here, when we came to Kickstarter we didn't know what we were getting into, not so much in terms of development but everything else. We were excited about making the game and naive about many realities. We saw ourselves as indie devs promising to do a lot of cool new things that people would share our enthusiasm for. Our plan was to focus on the game's most unique qualities, release it and then continue work on it indefinitely after release, improving and expanding it. What we soon realised is that most people were not so willing to forgive a few flaws for the sake of the game's virtues. We would be subject to harsh criticism on all fronts and where we showed ability and quality these would only serve to make them expected everywhere. Sui Generis does not present itself as a humble game and expectations were sky high.

Our focus almost immediately shifted from just developing the game to improving everything and responding to criticism so that people would not prematurely dismiss the game. It is a very unconventional game, one that can't be described with what are usually the biggest selling points. It's unfamiliar and people don't know if they want it, they will more easily compare it to what they know and fixate it on flaws rather than understand its unique potential. This was further reinforced by our first alpha releases, our alpha backers were in large part people who believed in and understood the game but a lot of people who knew less about what they were getting into and what the game aimed to achieve were, at least initially, not as impressed.
Thank you xenocide for the link, and a reminder about the new update.

More information.

I understand the possibilities of "interacting with the environment" but removing items from a pile one bit at the time can get old very fast...

Graphics and character generation is awesome! GUI is good and the letter window is okay. They could have completely left out this experimental animation and gone with traditional 3D mocap instead... They never gonna fix this, fell in their own trap and there is no escape.

im satisfied with what we have so far. now if they deliver a cool plot/level design to motivate me for playing more than 2 hours. that would be awesome

Sui Generis does not present itself as a humble game and expectations were sky high.

Expectations were high because in their Kickstarter they announced this:
  • Believable fiction. Carefully crafted and researched so it feels authentic down to the smallest detail, the world of Sui Generis will draw you in and captivate you with its depth and complexity.
  • Non Linear Story. Write your own story. Create your own character and then interact with the world and events as you see fit. Who knows what might happen? It's not written, it's up to you.
  • Reactive characters. Characters and creatures do not have fixed roles. They will react to anything you say or do, how you dress and what tone you set. We're putting the word Character in NPC.
  • Physics driven combat. Whether swinging your weapon, shooting an arrow or manipulating the world with your mind, you can expect spectacular and always unique results.
  • Interactive environment. Nothing is bolted down or fake, the environment is fully interactive and can play an important tactical role, as well as just provide lots of fun.
  • Deep character customisation. Don't just choose a class but create your own unique build and develop your own play style. The paths to success are almost limitless.
    Meaningful Items. Plentiful items, all with plausible qualities and values. Even a rusty sword is effective in the right hands and powerful items will be special and well guarded.
You can't announce features like this and then wonder about high expectations. So that's Bare Mettle's fault.

My fault as a backer was to believe that a game with features like this could be created by that small budget. In hindsight problems were inevitable.

However I don't judge them yet. I'll pit them against their final game, and I don't mind if it takes another 1-2 years to be finished. Of course it'll then be compared against technically more advanced games than there are today.

I really like the interaction with the surroundings. Dropping the chair on the skeletal warrior was hilarious...was it a skeletal warrior, or zombie? Anyway, made me laugh!
The combat still looks like a drunk fight. Although at 5:45 looked pretty good and fluid.
Everything else looks good to me. Still they have a lot to work on the game, so hope it gets better.

Black Rune, you're not Rune's evil twin, are you? Or perhaps the physical embodiment of his baser nature?

He's like reverse flash.

Evil Spock with a goatee and dagger.

knowspocckckck.jpg

I knew him well. R.I.P., Evil Spock.

Ahh but which one of us is evil?

I really like the interaction with the surroundings. Dropping the chair on the skeletal warrior was hilarious…

What i thought was really cool was that it got annoyed by it, so he laid down on the ground to get rid of it(!)

When was this supposed to be finíshed again? Like 2 years ago? I bet this is now something they work on on their free time, since i doubt they're making money on it? I can't see it on Steam early access.. guess it's too unfinished even for that..

I don't get why some people think it looks like "drunk fighting".. the weapons has weight to them so that's why it looks different from most other games that doesnt seem to take that into account. I think it looks fairly realistic, depending on what the character is supposed to be, he doesnt come off as a ninja or any other form of a trained fighter, but that's just really refreshing imo.

Looks like it could be fun. The amount of interactivity with the environment is a big plus. But yeah, combat looks a little awkward--like a drunken bar brawl.

People who are quick to criticize the combat are too used to games where characters wield weapons the size of an eight foot long 2-by-10.
Try swinging a longsword, axe, or pole arm a few times and see how spunky you feel.

I personally like what I see. The engine looks absolutely great. Whether or not you like the style of combat, the animations are really smooth and fluid. A well designed RPG in this engine could be phenomenal.

:( Looks very much like the last combat demo…still looks awkward and hard to control

Obviously the combat is not going to be for everyone. I love turn based pure char stat driven games as well but that does not mean there is not room for new and different systems. I actually think the combat looks like it could be a fun system to learn and master, the fact that it's involved enough to need to learn and not just be a master from the outset is a plus not a negative.

I understand the possibilities of "interacting with the environment" but removing items from a pile one bit at the time can get old very fast…

This is a design issue not an engine issue. Even good things get old when overdone.

Morrandir is right, the main "problem" with this kickstarter is not the game itself, it's that the devs grossly underestimated the cost, time, and ease of development. I don't mind the delays and will judge the final product as well.

I think this looks great, and I'm definitely interested in this going forward. I'd love to see some unique creatures occupying this world and using the combat systems. I think there is great potential here to be something very interesting and unique.

And the old "chair over the skeleton's head" trick was indeed hilarious! :lol:

People who are quick to criticize the combat are too used to games where characters wield weapons the size of an eight foot long 2-by-10.
Try swinging a longsword, axe, or pole arm a few times and see how spunky you feel.

I suspect the concern is with the controller interface, not with the weapon. If you were zoomed in close and using a joy stick with a first-person perspective, perhaps it might feel more natural.

Back
Top Bottom