Witcher 3 - Made for $81.000.000

Based on the actual game, that budget was either hugely mismanaged - or 90% went into marketing.

Yup. TW3 is great , but not that groundbreaking. Those are two different things.

Isn't 81m in their country actually quite a lot? I'm assuming they were talking 81 mil us dollars?

Most AAA games are trash anyway. CD Projekt Red being an obvious example. But Id still give more credit to the likes of Almost Human…

Now you just sound like you're trolling…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

We can argue about semantics i.e. what constitutes a triple A title but most on that list are completely forgettable titles. With very few exceptions.

Money doesn't guarantee a legendary game, in fact, it only gets in the way. I'd take a small team working in a basement over some AAA trash project.

Most on that list are completely forgettable titles. With very few exceptions.

A large budget does not guarantee quality. Not even number of sold units equals quality. Noone said it does. But money surely helps.

And yes, I consider TW3 groundbreaking. Not because it does anything new. Noone spends so much money on a gamble.

Rather, I think it's groundbreaking because it does some many things right.
That does not mean it's perfect. No game is. But game-of-the-year worthy? Sure.
So far, no equal competitor.

Based on the actual game, that budget was either hugely mismanaged - or 90% went into marketing.

~50% went into marketing.

You can not get so many hours of voiced-over, story driven gameplay for a few million US$. Other games take less to make. But those deliver a different experience.

And yes, I consider TW3 groundbreaking. Not because it does anything new.

Then , excuse me for saying, but you are not very intelligent . Your very post contradicts itself.

game-of-the-year worthy? Sure.
So far, no equal competitor.

Torment will blow it out the water.

TW3 is great. Its as good as its gets - as far as modern open world RPGs are concerned.

But its still inside the box. There is nothing new and original except maybe the setting (of the novel) which is still generic polish fantasy at best

In conclusion TW3 is among the best , if not the best, typical modern-era RPG.

But still typical and boring as fuck to me :D

Torment will match its quality of content while offering innovations in the genre.

Torment will match its quality of content while offering innovations in the genre.
Hardly...at best, writing may be on the same level, but it cannot come close to offering as much quality content.

I certainly wouldn't call it generic fantasy.

For me (an american) it is refreshing to see mostly all new monsters and lore.

I do not consider it boring at all and it is the best RPG to come out in many years.

Nice to see that you have an advance copy of Torment that you have played. Tell us more about it. Not that I think it will be bad but making blanket statements about an unreleased game is just dumb.

I don't think Torment has any chance at GotY, really. It'll definitely have high quality story and writing, but it'll be like Shadowrun - a niche game that while enjoyable, won't make the break to the top.

That said, I'm really looking forward to Torment myself. It's just that, not a game that will get wide enough interest to be a GotY globally.

Sure just don't tell me anyone will remember half of those games in 10 years.... unlike legendary RPGs made in basements on ridiculous budgets 20 years ago

I certainly wouldn't call it generic fantasy

For me (an american) it is refreshing to see mostly all new monsters and lore..

that's why TW3 succeeded so much , because most gamers nowadays have low standards and not much experience

Nice to see that you have an advance copy of Torment that you have played. Tell us more about it. Not that I think it will be bad but making blanket statements about an unreleased game is just dumb.

well what can i say, when you are gaming since boyhood and following the industry your whole life then you become psychic :D

I find these "old school gamers" pretty damn childish, how despite their age and experience, take satisfaction in trashing anything new...supposedly too simple and not refined enough for their acquired taste.
Seriously...this is Internet...you won't convince anyone of anything by simply stating this or that is trash. Why bother showing up on threads like if you do not contribute anything else...You're only making yourself look miserable.

Pretty sure Fallout 4 will take the GOTY trophy home. It's not even out and I already know Witcher 3 is a better game than it… BUT…
All major gaming sites are already praising it(FO4) as the new holy grail of gaming.
That's what happens when you put a bazillion dollars into marketing.

Last edited:
I'm happy about all the good things that happen to DC Projekt. They deserve it.

Game of the Year 2015 without any remotely close competitor.
Actually there is - MGS5.
Dunno if B:AK on consoles is close, on PC it practically disqualified itself.

Well, this year is not over yet. We still have Fallout 4 in November and possibly Torment: Tides of Numenera in December. But still, you're probably right.

That too.

Most AAA games are trash anyway. CD Projekt Red being an obvious example.
Erm… I'll pretend I didn't read the second sentence here.

Destiny was $140 million
140? If only.
Destiny was probably 10 million for development and 500 million for marketing.
All major gaming sites are already praising it(FO4) as the new holy grail of gaming.
That's what happens when you put a bazillion dollars into marketing.
Destiny is mentioned above.
It's probably the most marketed garbage that ever existed and was praised by minor and major gaming sites till it got released and the baloon of hype deflated fast.
But there is still ongoing marketing about that junk.

I'm not so sure about MGSV...after the initial rush, a lot of negative (user) feedback claim it suffers from weak and "stretched", thin story, very repetitive missions, and poor world design. Plus, lot of people claim the game doesn't even feel finished in it's current state, story wise at least.
I think Fallout IV and Wild Hunt will fight it out in the end. In the end, past the hype, it will boil down to how much effort Bethesda has made to improve writing on their end. It could be their best game so far...or the most comical we've seen. Engine is a bit of a setback for Beth, but their games were never graphical powerhouses so far either. I'm more worried they'll push the limitations past what the good ol' Gamebryo can handle to keep up with competition.

I also think MGSV has no chance. I mean, the Witcher 3 is filled with beautiful pearls all over, even the most trivial secondary mission has a tale worth writing a book about behind it. MGSV looks good, but it's plain and dull in comparison.

Fallout 4 we'll see when it's out. But Bethesda will really have to step up their game.

Funny thing is, superior games can be made by smaller teams and modest budgets. TW3 is great among the typical modern open world RPG but I prefer something out of the box

You let us know when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom