Steam keys with boxed versions of a game

badmofo

Tired but happy
I guess this varies from game to game, but in general, does the boxed version of a game that is also available on steam come with a 'steam key'? I've been buying digital versions of games for years now, but for a game like Dishonored, I'm thinking it would be nice to have a boxed copy for a change.

But I still want to have the advantages of steam, i.e. all my games in one place, automated patches, etc.

I did try to google this but just got results for a whole lot of dodgy 'steam key generators'.

Any help appreciated.

Dishonored uses Steamworks, so if you install the game from disc, it will prompt you to log in to your Steam client. You can also simply add the Dishonored retail product key to your steam library. Just click on Steam Client -> Games -> Activate a Product on Steam

There are some games that are cannot be activated unless you buy the game from the Steam store. For example, I bought Arma 2 on Amazon digital download and I thought I would be able to do the same, but I wasn't. If you buy a game on Amazon digital download or a similar site, just try to make sure before buying.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

From my experience, yes, if it's a Steamworks game then the boxed version will include a Steam key. If it says "Steamworks required" somewhere on the back of the box then you can be sure.

Imo it's not worth buying a retail version of a Steamworks game unless you're actually getting it cheaper than the digital version. There's usually nothing included other than the disc and a single page insert.

Imo it's not worth buying a retail version of a Steamworks game unless you're actually getting it cheaper than the digital version. There's usually nothing included other than the disc and a single page insert.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was going through my pile of old games the other day, i.e. boxed games, and I realised that I enjoy having them. It's not practical anymore, but I'd still like a boxed version of some titles, Dishonored being one of them.

But if it's just a disk and insert, then that takes the fun out of it somewhat!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was going through my pile of old games the other day, i.e. boxed games, and I realised that I enjoy having them. It's not practical anymore, but I'd still like a boxed version of some titles, Dishonored being one of them.

I love boxed copy's also but publishers are doing all they can to get rid of them to save cash.

Maybe they can talk to all US broadband providers and get rid of caps then. I'm not paying $250-300 for unlimited downloading.

I don't know if that's the case for Dishonored though. If I were you, I'd browse the official forums to get a more definitive answer. Let us know what you find out.

Some boxed games can only be run via Steam. No offline thing anymore.
Which bothers me.

I just don't get it : Why do retail boxed games have to be run via Steam ???

There is no "digital backup", if the game can ONLY be played through Steam ! That's an illusion !

If the game can ONLY be played through Steam, then the whole intallation process is a farce !

The installation on the hrddisk only creates the illusion of "owning" and being able to play this game any time - which would be true within well-cabled towns, but not in more rural areas, for example. High within the Rocky Mountains ? I doubt so.

I still believe that games sold via Retail should remain purely offline games.

Why buy a boxed game is the exact same game can be bought via Steam abnyway ? This doesn't even make sense to me anymore to wrap a big package around something that can be digitally downloaded as well ...

There is no "digital backup", if the game can ONLY be played through Steam ! That's an illusion !

If the game can ONLY be played through Steam, then the whole intallation process is a farce !

It is a backup. You can download the game whenever you prefer. If you only had the disk version and the disk is damaged, you will not be able to play the game (unless you make a physical backup youself). You can also use Steam's backup feature to put the game on your hard drive or on DVD.

The installation on the hrddisk only creates the illusion of "owning" and being able to play this game any time - which would be true within well-cabled towns, but not in more rural areas, for example. High within the Rocky Mountains ? I doubt so.

Share your view and I always prefer the disk version as I don't have a fast broadband line myself. Having said that, I am happy to activate the game once through Steam, and then play offline. Moreover, what stops you from using a 'fixed EXE' for a game that you bought and is on your hard drive, without the need for online/offline Steam?

Why buy a boxed game is the exact same game can be bought via Steam abnyway ? This doesn't even make sense to me anymore to wrap a big package around something that can be digitally downloaded as well …

It does, retail versions are cheaper than Steam and I like the retail version myself (Steam or otherwise), which means there is a market for them for the same reason that you mentioned above due to absence of or poor internet lines.

I queued up and bought the 'boxed' copy. As predicted it's just the DVD case, no box. It cost exactly the same as if I'd bought it on steam, and this way I get a bit of extra plastic to put on my shelf, so I guess that makes me a winner. I did however waste 30 mins of my life acquiring said plastic, so it could be argued that I am in fact a loser.

Yeah there's a manual - it's short but it's there. Code on the back, installing now without incident so far.

Back
Top Bottom