Avadon - Released on iPad

That is something I also agree with - he obviously tried to nuance things by stating something that is factually correct but irrelevant in practice. I have played the 'normal' Mac and PC version, the one from the Mac App Store, and the iPad version. For the way I play (standard resolution, no mods, etc) the games are identical. And I assume that is true for the majority of gamers who play his stuff.

Truth be told, if I was to play Avadon - I'd definitely prefer the iPad version, because it's not the kind of game that I need to immerse myself in. It's more about old-school gamey stuff than being transported to another world.

So, in several ways, I actually perceive the iPad version to be the one to go for.

The difference between the iPad (or any tablet) and a Smartphone - to me - is very significant. I see it as a good platform for a certain type of game, and Avadon fits the bill very nicely.

The difference between the iPad (or any tablet) and a Smartphone - to me - is very significant. I see it as a good platform for a certain type of game, and Avadon fits the bill very nicely.

Very much agree. One of the most heated arguments Vogel and I had was when I stated that based on the experience I had gaming on the iPad and with Avadon on two platforms, I felt that the iPad version SHOULD be my favorite ... and went on to detail the reasons it wasn't yet and the things that would make it so. In the end it DID become my favorite version.

But I have reasons for my opinion that MAY be slightly more solid than these horrible CRPG fans you're referring to.

Hey - I'm one of those horrible RPG fans! ;)

I agree - but one of the difficulties being an infrequent vistor here is that regardless of the game there is a mass of discord and hate piled upon the game. I know - you see that about ANY game, but given how our genre (cRPG) has been marginalized and you have people like Microsoft/EA/Ubisoft/Crytek really looking for excuses NOT to deliver anything to the PC ... well, I don't know the right approach.

Very much agree. One of the most heated arguments Vogel and I had was when I stated that based on the experience I had gaming on the iPad and with Avadon on two platforms, I felt that the iPad version SHOULD be my favorite … and went on to detail the reasons it wasn't yet and the things that would make it so. In the end it DID become my favorite version.

It just seems to be the perfect game for this platform.

I wonder if you can understand how I can be "platform neutral" and yet see the tablet/smartphone market as a danger to enthusiast gaming?

Hey - I'm one of those horrible RPG fans! ;)

I agree - but one of the difficulties being an infrequent vistor here is that regardless of the game there is a mass of discord and hate piled upon the game. I know - you see that about ANY game, but given how our genre (cRPG) has been marginalized and you have people like Microsoft/EA/Ubisoft/Crytek really looking for excuses NOT to deliver anything to the PC … well, I don't know the right approach.

We have no approach beyond speaking our minds. The majority decides what will happen, as long as money is the guiding light. The only power we have is to articulate our standpoints with as much effort as we can, in the hope that some people agree and the word will spread. But it's a pathetic effort, as we're not really "right" about anything - as gaming tastes invariably differ.

The only approach I've found that I'm comfortable with is to try and make my own damn game, and it gives me peace knowing that I'm working on something and not just consuming.

I wonder if you can understand how I can be "platform neutral" and yet see the tablet/smartphone market as a danger to enthusiast gaming?

I completely understand it - and I agree!

I created quite a stir with some tech sites for stuff I wrote at the advent of the App Store a few years back about the destructive nature of pricing. I mean, assets cost money and the business model supporting non-trivial games flies in the face of exactly what the big companies are pushing when they declare the need for higher prices and rip-off DLC.

I am also platform neutral, though I advocate strongly on behalf of the downtrodden ;)

I just bought Avadon yesterday for my ipad! It was supposed to be for my wife but she could not get into it as it required lot of reading ;)

I guess, the developer need to thank this thread for that since I have not heard of the game before this!

Back
Top Bottom