MMORPG News - Zork Returns as an MMO

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jolt sent over this press release announcing Legends of Zork:
Jolt Online Gaming Announce Legends of Zork TM Browser Game

Dublin, Ireland. 14th January 2009. Jolt Online Gaming today announced that it will be publishing Legends of Zork TM, which will give players the chance to once again take up the mantle of Zork TM, this time via an Internet browser.

The Great Underground Empire has recently fallen and the land is in disarray. The Royal Treasury has been sacked. The stock market has collapsed, leading even mighty FrobozzCo International to fire employees from throughout its subsidiaries. A craze of treasure-hunting has swept through the remnants of the Great Underground Empire. The New Zork Times reports that trolls, kobolds and other dangerous creatures are venturing far from their lairs. Adventurers and monsters are increasingly coming into conflict over areas rich with loot. It's a dangerous time to be a newly-unemployed traveling salesman, but it's also a great time to try a bit of adventuring.

LegendsofZork.com will provide online gamers with a persistent online adventure, playable from any Internet browser. Players take up the role of a recently laid-off salesman and part-time loot-gatherer, as he explores the Great Underground Empire. Designed to provide gamers with a casual MMO game they can play on their laptop, desktop or Apple iPhone (in school, work or on the bus), there’s nothing to download, just go to www.legendsofzork.com.

“As a complete Zork geek, I’m very proud to be releasing this title”, stated Dylan Collins, CEO of Jolt Online gaming. “Anyone who plays MMOs will definitely like to spend some time with Legends of Zork while they’re taking a break or browsing around the web. It’s very addictive”.

For more information, beta-registration, and game announcements please go to www.legendsofzork.com.

Jolt Online Gaming is one of the leading browser games publishers in the world with millions of players across its titles.
More information.

/slapforehead
I remember (very long ago) typing in forward, look right, look left, (you see door) turn left, listen at door ( you hear voices)..
But it was a simple amusement for a few minutes at a time at best for me.
Surely an example of computer programing techniques, but now.. an MMO?!
Stay tuned! Soon.. Checkers, the MMO!

Surely you know that there have been many more Zork games after that, like Zork: Nemesis and Zork: Grand Inquisitor, which were graphical adventure games. Of course, an MMO version of Zork the text adventure would just be like a MUD. I'm pretty sure they are planning something different than that.

and Return to Zork which was revolutionary, it virtually created the point and click style of adventuring that would later be taken up by myst and its clones. However it was highly criticised for the 42mb object file that needed to be on the hard drive when most drives were around 100mb at the time

Surely you know that there have been many more Zork games after that, like Zork: Nemesis and Zork: Grand Inquisitor, which were graphical adventure games. Of course, an MMO version of Zork the text adventure would just be like a MUD. I'm pretty sure they are planning something different than that.

Oops, my bad I guess. I didn't know they advanced into graphical point and click games, but still.. this is MMO material?!
Good luck to them, at any rate, not wishing bad on anyone willing to venture into MMO game production.

Back
Top Bottom