GOG - Now Supports Linux!

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GOG.com has officially launched support for Linux games. Here are the details.

GOG.com Now Supports Linux!

50 games for the free OS available right NOW!

A while ago, we've announced our plans to add Linux support as one of the features of our digital platform, with 100 games on the launch day sometime this fall. We've put much time and effort into this project and now we've found ourselves with over 50 titles, classic and new, prepared for distribution, site infrastructure ready, support team trained and standing by, and absolutely no reason to wait until October or November. We're still aiming to have at least 100 Linux games in the coming months, but we've decided not to delay the launch just for the sake of having a nice-looking number to show off to the press. It's not about them, after all, it's about you. So, one of the most popular site feature requests on our community wishlist is granted today: Linux support has officially arrived on GOG.com!

The first 50+ titles we've have in store for you come from all the corners of our DRM-Free catalog. Note that we've got many classic titles coming officially to Linux for the very first time, thanks to the custom builds prepared by our dedicated team of penguin tamers. That's over twenty fan-favorite GOG.com classics, like FlatOut&Flatout 2, , Darklands, or Realms of the Haunting we've personally ushered one by one into the welcoming embrace of Linux gamers. That's already quite a nice chunk of our back-catalog, and you can expect more from our dedicated Linux team soon!

Now, for the recent titles. We've got some indie games with native Linux versions that finally find their well-deserved spot in our store. Among them, debuting on Linux, CLARC - a well received original comedic Sci-Fi puzzler. On top of that, be on the lookout for two new additions to the GOG.com catalog: Gods Will Be Watching (coming in a couple of hours) and Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build coming right up!), both of them very fresh and intriguing. This is the very first time we can provide you with all the PC versions of a premiere game, and we will continue to do so in the future. If there's a Linux version of a title we're releasing, our aim is to deliver it to you Day-1. But enough about us, let's talk about the games. Here's what you can be playing on Linux today:
More information.

They even write which games run on wine and which not, when GOG does things it does them properly. :w00t:
If 1 year from now I'm running DRM-free fully fledged modern RPGs (like PoE, D:OS, W2 etc) on Linux with optional Galaxy features the situation will be vastly better than anything I could imagine 5 years ago :celebrate:

Yep, finally :) I hope to fully remove my Windows partition in year or two :)

Nice.

Unfortunately, I started having issues installing Linux on my newer system (can't get the network to work properly), so I'm back to Windows for a while.

Taking Valve's Steambox move into consideration along with this news I really hope Linux support becomes common place for all games and I can move off windows completely.

Only if Valve keeps pushing it, and then it still will take a couple of years

Taking Valve's Steambox move into consideration along with this news I really hope Linux support becomes common place for all games and I can move off windows completely
I hope you are right. With the release of Win8 I have come to despise Windows and Microsoft with a passion. Hopefully Steam stays user friendly with the release of it.

Back
Top Bottom