Two Worlds - Now Available in NA

I won't buy anything big at Best Buy since they promised to exchange my laptop then lied 3 days later when the replacement was supposed to be in. They even tried to foist me out of the store by giving the number for customer service on the back of an Extended Service card. I could go into more detail but, meh.

When I worked at Circuit City a disgruntled customer at least would get some compromise from the management but it appears Best Buy uses its leverage as a big box store to quash any major losses. Now the CC is falling into hard times I wouldn't be surprised if their return policies were becoming the same.

On the other hand I just read Costco's policy. They automatically extend all new TV's and Computers warranty to a maximum of two years.

Gamespot, etc. has a good policy on software exchanges however they open all the boxes and remove the innards before putting them on the floor. It feels like I bought a used game when I leave the store.

Getting back on topic, I wonder if Two Worlds comes with SecuROM?

Getting back on topic, I wonder if Two Worlds comes with SecuROM?

I don't know but it sounds like that or something similar in this activation faq on the official site.

Playing the demo atm and I like what I see, but they definitely dump you totally clueless into the game. And the interface is far from intuitive.That's okay in a boxed game with a manual, but for a naked demo a fifteen minute tutorial would have been nice, especially for those of us who are hot-key challenged. :)

I'll take them over GameStop / EBGames 10 times out of 10. And they had it in stock ... and it is on my way home ;)

I don't like either of those places but I would put GameStop / EBGames as the lesser evil.

I will drive 10+ miles out of my way and pay more money to purchase something from Circuit City, Comp USA, etc, rather than give money to Best Buy.

Sept 6th is now the release date for down under!! Not amused.

I don't know but it sounds like that or something similar in this activation faq on the official site.

I believe (not 100% sure) that it is a proprietary system of their own. The FAQ entry "...It is also possible to create backup copies of the original DVD..." doesn't sound like SecuROM. SecuROM -in addition to the activation- usually comes with copy protection on the disc so it's usually not possible to create backups (at least not with regular backup creation methods or programs ;) ).

I will drive 10+ miles out of my way and pay more money to purchase something from Circuit City, Comp USA, etc, rather than give money to Best Buy.
I know this is off-topic at this point, but can I ask why?
I believe (not 100% sure) that it is a proprietary system of their own. The FAQ entry "...It is also possible to create backup copies of the original DVD..." doesn't sound like SecuROM. SecuROM -in addition to the activation- usually comes with copy protection on the disc so it's usually not possible to create backups (at least not with regular backup creation methods or programs ;) ).
That was my take as well. Activation seems to work well enough, but like everyone else, I don't like to have to do it because of the long-term implications.

IThat was my take as well. Activation seems to work well enough, but like everyone else, I don't like to have to do it because of the long-term implications.

I don't know how Reality Pump/Zuxxez are dealing with their North American/international support but the German support is pretty good. They are very liberal in regards to the activation. If you sell your copy on eBay then it's no problem for the new owner to get it activated for example. You just need to call a hotline number (unfortunately one with fees though at 0.99c/minute) and you can get a new code.
I would also expect them to remove the activation via a patch once the international versions have been out for a while. Their activation system has been cracked in the first week (IIRC) anyway so it wouldn't really make sense to require it in the long run.

My experience with this game is: It shines for an hour or two, until you stumble into the many weaknesses of gameplay, the engine, AI, balance(!!!!!) and the story. After these two hours you feel betrayed by a polished piece of rubbish.

To be fair, I haven't used the latest patch (which is supposed to fix at least some balance problems), so it might be better now than it was after the first few patches.

I played the demo with its inbuilt 1.5 patch/service release. And I didn't experience
any major issues with this game. There were some minor framerates and clipping issues when the game autosaved every 5 minutes (like I had told it to do).

Normally, in games, like these, I always make sure to go into settings (or options), then keyboard (or controls) to learn how to use what key for what action. If you have played Oblivion, this game uses the same system. F draws your weapon, spacebar is the action bar e.g. press space(bar) if you want to talk to someone, use something or open a door and there's a hotkey button for your spell(s). Apparently you can assign spells to your Right Mouse Button (RMB), but I haven't quite figured out a way to do so yet.

I find the interface very intuitive, but then again, maybe it's because I'm used to playing crpg games?? or just computer games in general. I mean CTRL always seem to be doing something in any computer game, so does spacebar and so does the numerical line above your keyboard's letters. You move with the WSAD key. E makes you jump and Q makes you jump backwards.

Thanks aries100! Maybe I'll actually get to play this demo after all. I went into the keyboard options screen, but I must have missed that 'f draws your weapon' part--which may be intuitive for you, but not apparently for me. ;) I was standing there staring at goblins while they slashed me to a bloody pulp and left-clicking did absolutely nothing, even though 'attack=LMB' is what's listed in the options. Pulled my Gothic memories out and tried hitting enter, spacebar, etc but 'f' just didn't come to mind.

My main problem is having the left mouse button pretty much disabled for all the usual actions(i.e., select, interact, put a skill on the hotbar, etc.) I don't at all mind using hot keys, but first it helps to know what they are.

Thanks again for the help. :)

I know this is off-topic at this point, but can I ask why?

For the same reason that Lucky Day talked about, bad experiences with poor customer service as well as their store policies. I have many friends and family members who also refuse to do business with BB anymore due to seperate experiences.

Wow I picked up the US release of this game, and what a HUGE improvement over the demo. The version I have is 1.5 and plays like a dream on my middle of the road computer. It reminds me of Oblivion, except that the interface has large inventory icons and a true drag and drop system like they used to do in PC CRPG's before consoles came along.

I'm only about 5 or 6 hours into it, but it's a lot of fun. Combat is pretty much hack and slash like Oblivion. You can learn moves as you level. The game is hard, there doesn't seem to be any 'scaling' nonsense. If you wander into an area where you're not supposed to be, you will get jumped and die in short order. There's no penalty whatsoever for dying near as I can tell; you just resurrect at the nearest shrine or something. That's a questionable design decision IMO, there should be SOME penalty for dying, but that's what the designers ran with. Also, running up hills in this game is just dumb. Archers scamper away from you up a hill like Peter Pan, while your guy slogs along chasing him like he's running in quicksand, with you taking arrows the whole time. That needs to get fixed. Leveling up is old school you have the typical stats to raise, so far I get five points to use per level. Then you get 2 points to add to your skills. I might get tired of this game so it's too early to recommend. I will say though that this release 1.5 runs MILES better than the demo I played a while back. The game still doesn't look all that great IMO; it's kind of grungy looking but the graphics are by no means horrible. It still has flaws, but overall my first impressions are very positive.

There's no penalty whatsoever for dying near as I can tell; you just resurrect at the nearest shrine or something. That's a questionable design decision IMO, there should be SOME penalty for dying, but that's what the designers ran with.

Resurrection is part of the game difficulty. You resurrect only in easy and medium
difficulty. On hard the game is over if you die.

Also, running up hills in this game is just dumb. Archers scamper away from you up a hill like Peter Pan, while your guy slogs along chasing him like he's running in quicksand, with you taking arrows the whole time. That needs to get fixed.

Hide behind somthing and the archer will come close up to you where you can jump and quickly finish him with repeated hits. Achers are almost too easy to kill.

(These comments were based on the 1.5 demo.)

The game still doesn't look all that great IMO; it's kind of grungy looking but the graphics are by no means horrible. It still has flaws, but overall my first impressions are very positive.

The game doesnt look like in the pictures even though I have max graphics. There is somkind of extra graphics panel (pc only naturally) thing that you can d/l separately from the official forums. You might be able to improve the graphics with that (or then not).

@ Alrik: Turning off shadows slightly improved performance, and promptly made the game look ten years older...:-/

Okay, I wouldn't have any problems with that, since I *always* play games that are 10 years older ... :D

@ Alrik: Well to each his own! :lol:

@ Mo: NFS Carbon I play on max settings, but you are right - I'm always ahead of the pack, and there is some lag at the starting line but as soon as I'm clear of the other drivers it's smooth sailing.

I do not play X3 on max settings. I'd say more like 75% of max. Anyway, case closed... I need a new card.

Thanks for giving me some substantial tech talk to go off of other than "your card sucks" :)

Maybe I generalized a bit too much when I said those games wouldn´t put heavy load on your graphics card.
Anyway, if you bought it to get you over the time until decent DX10 cards are available I think you should stick to this plan. The first gen DX10 cards nor not that much faster than the last gen DX9 cards. I´ve seen many reviews saying that especially the middle class is a disappointment and not really worth the money. We have a thread about this stuff in the technical forum.
If I were you I would sit on this crappy office card until the perfect replacement begs to be purchased: faster, compatible and silent. ;) Other solutions are not cost effective when the next chip upgrade is around the corner.

Hide behind somthing and the archer will come close up to you where you can jump and quickly finish him with repeated hits. Achers are almost too easy to kill.

(These comments were based on the 1.5 demo.)

Thanks for the combat tip, zakhal; I have a few hours of free time to play the game later, and I'll try that technique.

Thanks Gorath, that's good to know. I don't usually visit the tech forum but i'll check it out. I was thinking of going with a card around the $300 - $350 range. I want to play Two Worlds, but Medieval Kingdoms comes out in a few days and I know I can play that on my current system, so I think I'll buy that and hold off on the more graphics intensive products.

Back
Top Bottom