Ishar Compilation at GOG--worth playing?

magerette

Hedgewitch
Just browsing the catalog over at GOG, and noticed something they're calling an Ishar Compilation. It includes: Crystals of Arborea, Ishar: Legend of the Fortress, Ishar 2: Messengers of Doom and Ishar 3: The Seven Gates of Infinity. I've never heard of any of these games, but the graphics remind me a bit of Wizardy 8, though I think these games are older. I've never heard of the devloper (Silmarils) either.

Anyone have any experience or memories of these games? They are calling my name and I don't know if I want to answer.

Just browsing the catalog over at GOG, and noticed something they're calling an Ishar Compilation. It includes: Crystals of Arborea, Ishar: Legend of the Fortress, Ishar 2: Messengers of Doom and Ishar 3: The Seven Gates of Infinity. I've never heard of any of these games, but the graphics remind me a bit of Wizardy 8, though I think these games are older. I've never heard of the devloper (Silmarils) either.

Anyone have any experience or memories of these games? They are calling my name and I don't know if I want to answer.

There was a similar question some time ago here.
You may also want to search for "Ishar": it was mentioned also in some other threads.

Thanks, bk. As often happens if you aren't interested in something, you can easily just not notice it, which is what happened to me with this thread. The fact that it was never released in the US is probably why I hadn't remembered hearing of it.

These were interesting as I tend to check out everything that hits GoG but the reaction here put me off ... I just don't have the time for everything ...

Heh. Last thing I remember is that you don't need any sleep, were playing 10 games simultaneously on 10 different gaming systems with your left hand, some of which were abysmal, all while writing reviews for them with your right hand, probably browsing the Internet with one of your toes. Looks as if you are still human after all. ;p

As for Ishar - I saw it in a gaming magazine of old a long time ago, I liked the pictures a lot, but the reviews it got were very mediocre.

What Arhu said, Mike. You must be getting old or something. ;)

I had the same reaction to the thread bk posted--most people were underwhelmed, and the remarks about the graphics being the best part were the closer for me. OTOH, it's only 6 bucks for four games....I could be tempted if someone comes along and says a good word for it.

If youre planning to play old games I would recommend the good old games like betrayal at krondor, ultima underworld, might magic, eye of the beholder and friends (all released more or less the same time as ishar).

Ishar was bad then and it hasnt really gotten any better since (it received bad-mediocre reviews in 90s even). Dont let the pretty pictures fool you (If I wasnt totally nuts I would bet the game was made only to look good in those). The game is awful in all ways. Im still missing the bandwith I wasted on d/l this piece of art back when it was still abandonware.

This is one review of ishar3 on amiga:

Despite the torrent of criticism that is about to erupt from my word processor, there is no getting away from the fact that Ishar 3 looks great. From the deepest dungeons to the streets of the city and the paths of the forest, it all looks gorgeous. The streets look lived in, the jungles look jungly and all the incidental characters pout and pose in perfect digitised glory. I will say it once again so you are left in absolutely no doubt - Ishar 3 looks great.

Ishar 3 GRRRRRR
However…

The game is certainly massive, but also for the most part empty, resulting in miles and miles of fruitless wanderings. Quite often you bump into characters who do not speak, do not move and don’t do anything at all really. You cannot buy things off them and you cannot hit them, so what is the point? They are just scenery.

The city forms only one of five giant locations, but it takes literally days of game time to get from one side to the other. This could be blamed on the control system (coming up in a bit) but it is mainly the stupidly compressed day/night cycle. Every few minutes real time, the sun sets and the night begins, and of course all the interesting places to visit are shut at night. Terrific. It is sort of like battling great hardship to arrive finally at the library in Alexandria (intellectual centre of the Hellenic empire from 323BC) and being told it is half-day closing.

You view the action from a first person perspective, which in many cases is a good idea. It works for Battlezone it works for flight sims and it even works for Trick Or Treat, our coverdisk game from AP 39. in my humble opinion, it does not work for Ishar 3. Or rather, the view works, but the movement does not. There is not any animation involved, so you jump from one static shot to another one 25 feet down the trail, and if you turn you get a completely new view. With your direction shown only by a small compass, it is horribly easy to get lost even with the map.

The combat is equally dire. You just click on an icon to make a team member swipe and watch splots appear on you or the enemy. Since your attacks are a curious yellow, it looks like some kind of flan fight to death, only not as interesting.

You will have guessed that I am not particularly taken by this one then. Adventure games are all about immersion in a strange and alien world, and this one does not do it for me. There is all manner of stuff that could well excite a hardened adventure gamer, but it is implemented so boringly and with such a creaky old game engine that I find it hard to believe myself. Certain team members won’t get on for example, and if you decide to kill them off, this could well lead to further internecine strife, but to get this kind of interesting in-fighting, you have got to be enthralled in the game world, and I never got that far. Ultima Underworld and Doom on the PC – now they are adventure games. Flashback, Worlds of Legend and Monkey Island on the Amiga – top adventure games each and every one. Ishar 3 does not even come close.
CAM WINSTANLEY

http://amigareviews.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ishar3.htm

Huge world ? Reminds me a bit of Daggerfall, from what I've read here and elsewhere ...

Very different reviews and experiences of the game. Thanks Zachary for posting that positive one, but the overall experience people have had with the games seems not so hot. I might check it out anyway for $6, except I have a shelf full of games already that I don't play for one reason or another and this looks like it would just add to that collection.

@zakhal: I was hoping to pick up an older game that I could just play on my machine without the DOSbox, which is the experience GOG manages to provide for us who are not computer whizzes. I'm still waiting with baited breath for them to get the early Might and Magics up.

@zakhal: I was hoping to pick up an older game that I could just play on my machine without the DOSbox, which is the experience GOG manages to provide for us who are not computer whizzes. I'm still waiting with baited breath for them to get the early Might and Magics up.

Hopefully GOG will expand their catalogue to better games in future. Anyways incase you are not buying ishar you can always atleast check the youtube gameplay videos of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tJR4A9FA8&feature=related

Googling for info on the magic system in this game and this thread came up. I just finished Heavy Rain and I'm taking a break from Dragon Age. Div Div 2 is going to have to wait because I plan on playing the Wii RPG Fragil Dreams. Looks like a mix of Fatal Frame (PS2) and Fallout, with Wii graphics and anime sensibilities. Fragil Dreams is supposed to be really atmospheric.

In any event I wanted something to do in the interim and this game from GOG was on my hard drive so I decided to give it a go. I went with Ishar2 since I heard it was the best of the lot. And I am having a blast with the game.

The game is pretty much like the very early Might and Magics, but there is a so called auto map that is serviceable somewhat barely. The graphics on the PC are old school and pixely-ious. The game came out on the Amiga and it looked great on that system, not so much on the PC. But Hey, you're talking to a gamer that cut his teeth on Wizardy 1.

The game play is also somewhat old school. Surprisingly, it's action based in that the enemy swings while you are swinging. So you can't just stand there and ponder what spell to use next. If you really want an idea of the game play - there is a guy on Youtube that has broken down Ishar1 and Ishar2 into nice little chunks of game play.

The game is dos based but GOG packages with a dos box that allows for installation and play. The game is totally playable if you can deal with the old schoolness of it all. But there are some issues. The manual that comes with the game is incomplete so I have no idea what the magic icons on the magic users screen mean. The auto map is buried 4 or 5 key stroked down. When one of the characters in your party dies, that's it. No resurrection (at least not in the early game) -only restart. So battles are a bit more intense in that everybody has to live.

In any event the game is tiding me over nicely during this lull.

I just finished the three games and yes, Ishar 2 is the best. Ishar 2 and 3 are actually following eachother, where Ishar 1 is standalone (even if all the Ishar 1 characters can be recruited in Ishar 2 and 3). Ishar 1 might actually be a sequel to Crystals of Arborea which is then a prequel to the Ishar series.

Ishar 3 is a much larger game in megabytes, but actually felt lesser in terms of content. It rehashes most of it's new content from Ishar 2 and rely on photographed graphics instead of handpainted, which looks rather poor if you ask me.

Still Ishar 1 have some features like a free-roaming landscape and the ability to pump core abilities that I lack in Ishar 2&3.

These games are among the best there is when it comes to oldschool 2d/3d-dungeon type games, up there among games like Black Crypt, Dungeon Master 1&2, Eye of the Beholder 1-3 and Lands of Lore.

I played the Amiga versions which allows for savestates, something which makes a hardcore game less frustrating, but it's only good in Ishar 1, in hintersight I would had played part 2 and 3 in DOSBox instead since both Ishar 2/3 broke down on me.

Don't think I ever played Ishar 3, but I think I did get pretty far with 1 & 2. Reasonable worlds, vaguely interesting character and inventory systems, definitely lacking that extra edge but perfectly playable regardless.

No intent of playing these anytime soon, but thanks for pointing out the let's plays on youtube, I might watch some of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9IVIqxk7fc
Are there horrible typos in the games opening cinematics, or is it me?
"Tyrapped like a rat" "sale across the sea"? Is the writing getting any better?

No intent of playing these anytime soon, but thanks for pointing out the let's plays on youtube, I might watch some of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9IVIqxk7fc
Are there horrible typos in the games opening cinematics, or is it me?
"Tyrapped like a rat" "sale across the sea"? Is the writing getting any better?

There are plenty of awful translation in these games.

Back
Top Bottom