About your profile - yes, yours!

Arhu

Two Sides
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm working on the display of profile pages at the moment and couldn't help but notice that nobody fills in anything except for the location maybe. One reason could be that not much is displayed next to posts anyway (except for the location ;)), another that the available profile fields are kinda "meh".

So my question is, what profile fields would you like to see?

We have these:

- Biography
- Interests

I'm thinking of changing "Biography" to "About me" and allow more than 100 characters. Dunno about the rest.

What else? Favourite RPGs? Favourite movies? ... ?

Thanks for your input. :)

Possible additions could be:

- Favourite MMORPGs
- Favourite Non-RPGs

I seldom fill out the "biography" and "Interests" fields because that seems too private. Though stating which games I like is a bit more innocent/unimportant/trivial so I don't mind filling that out.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually read these things? Other than birthdays?

Does anyone actually read these things? Other than birthdays?

Not really, but the profile page itself is viewed pretty often, I think. As I'm integrating it into the normal RPG Watch design, I might just as well make it look pretty. Default profile fields != pretty.

Personally, I use it often to find all posts by someone. No, not for spying, but for research. ;)

I think most people are leery of putting down anything too personal. but I'd chime in on the idea of favorite games and interests, even favorite books and films maybe.

Hah, I must admit I've checked your profile out once.
Stalker! Stalker! ;)

I don't think I've looked at anyone's profile intentionally. A few times I accidently clicked on a user's name, which links to the profile. That's pretty much it.

Seems to me that most interests that people care to share end up in their signature in some form, so I don't know that there's much info that would be added in the profile.

I like the 'favorite RPG' option.

And I often read profiles :p. Even those I don't have to read.

Personally I do read some profiles for specific reasons. I would keep it a short list and lump the games in one part and other interests or information as a second and just let us comment as we desire. I do agree most of us are guarded so it will all be general anyway.

Okay folks, I've activated the changes to profile pages, you can see an example with some example data here: Arhu's Profile.

I've changed the profile picture's possible dimensions to max 200x300 (was 120x120 before), so if you want to update yours, go ahead. There's still a couple glitches and some things that don't work as I'd like them to, but that will have to wait for tomorrow and I'm sure you get the idea.

Note that you don't have to fill in anything at all, just what you feel like sharing with us fellow RPGWatchers (and the whole wide world :p).
For convenience here's a link to where you can update your profile.

Jaz: Feel free to add or remove profile fields as you see fit. ;)

Last edited:
*evil cackle*
That's great, Arhu. Good job.
*evil cackle*

Cool - thanks for the direct linkage ... makes my life easier ;)

Come on, people. I see that few have filled out the new user profile display. So would you kindly?

@Arhu, the new profile display is really a great piece of work. It's the first time on a message board that I've felt an interest in filling it. It adds depth to this site (if people would fill their profiles), so good work!
But I have a suggestion too. Perhaps the boxes to the right on the profile page ("Forum Info", "Contact Info" and "Group Memberships") should have a dividing line between them, just like "Picture Watch", "Poll Watch" and Future Watch" have on the front page?

I rarely look into other's profiles, but I've updated mine.

Asbjoern: Mucho gracias, and yes, there should be dividing lines.

Well after reading some of the other updates, I went in and gussied mine up a bit too. It is kind of nice to get a little background on people. :)

All right, all right. Damn, peer pressure is a pain.

Some info about the hardware and OS people are using would be nice; would also be handy to check when someone has technical problems. I think this would be something people would actually put in their profile, at least when registering the first time.

Some info about the hardware and OS people are using would be nice; would also be handy to check when someone has technical problems. I think this would be something people would actually put in their profile, at least when registering the first time.

Why not. One field for hardware and one for OS or do you have anything else in mind? It shouldn't be too detailed though, a hardware list (including consoles) can quickly grow too large, better let the user decide about the specifics.

Back
Top Bottom