Risen No quest info in Journal

O

Omega

I'm playing the English version, it was bought yesterday. Installation no prob, gameplay no prob - but one.

I've arrived at the Bandit Camp and have talked to various persons.
I've accepted several quests.

When talking to a person messages appear at the left stating that I've got a new quest (or that I've completed a quest). But whenever I turn to the Journal (by pressing L) none of it can be read.
In fact there's no text whatsoever in Current, Completed, Trader or Trainer. No information in World, Harbor town, Volcano Keep, Bandit Camp, All.

It's getting troublesome considering the amount of quests I've accepted. Since my discovery I've begun writing them down. But of course I can't write everthing down people are saying to me so I'm missing information.

In the Journal one can also view Maps. I've got the World Map and the Region Map. Not a Quest Map though.

Well, I'll try to complete the quests no matter what, I don't give up that easily, but it would be nice having a summary of what's been said, where + by whom.

Can't find any info about this problem thus far.
Since there are not many people yet who are able to play the game, I have sent an e-mail to Kochmedia support, but if somebody else could help me out or could tell me whether he/she has a blank Journal as well, I'd be thankful.

Update. For those who face the same problem.

I have reinstalled the game. No change. I have reinstalled the game in a different language. No change. Installed the game on husbands PC: text in Journal! Right at the beginning, on the beach it already says you'll have to look for survivors.
Copied my saved games to his PC. All the info I'm missing on my PC is available on his PC. On his I can read all the quests I have done and the quests I'll yet have to do, including info in the Region Map. Which seems to be very handy. Which made me sad. Why isn't possible to get the same info on a good system like mine? (Spec of my system: Quad CPU, Q6700, NVDIA GeForce 9800 GTX, 4 Gig of memory, OS: XP)

Tiresome...

It's very obvious that 'your' graphics sysem is not rendering overlayed text (fonts) not sure exactly why that should be.

Video driver? - Mainboard/chipset drivers?

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue but not for all quests but only some. For some quests I can review the dialogue just fine and for other quests there's just the quest title but no further info and no possibility to review the dialogue. Seems like a bug to me. My system is well optimized. Latest DirectX, latest nVidia drivers, it's all up-to-date.

Just for experimental purposes only, i would try a lower resolution (as low as possible!) just to see if the minimum font render size is working.

For small font rendering, some graphics cards go to a minimum greeking acceptance level (below 6 or 5 font size) below this and the font is "dismissed" and fails to render.

Clutching at straws - but worth a try.

I don't have the game yet so this is just a guess, but do you anti aliasing or some other settings enabled in the Nvidia control panel? If so, try restoring the global settings to their defaults.

Yup, drivers. Had the same thought last night. After installing the latest video driver yesterday and starting Risen again first thing this morning the mouse seemed to stutter; it used to move smoothly. Journal: still no text. So I quickly decided to downgrade via an image. Forgot to secure some data before doing that (it was still pretty early and I was short of sleep), so a couple of hours of work went down the drain, all in vain.

I tried a different resolution, the lowest I could get. No text.

I disabled all the settings that were possible in the Nvidia control panel ( I created an override for Risen, the override is used automatically when Risen is launched). But an override turned out to be unnecessary because it had, alas, no effect.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you thinking along with me.

Moriendor, glad to hear you have similar difficulties. :uneasy: Don't mean that, em, I mean that but… but you catch my drift, right?

Seems that this isn't confined to the English version, someone on the World of Risen forums is having the same problem with the French version.
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=684504

Thanks for providing the link. On that World of Players Forum there's another person, a man from Belgium, that has come forward.

So there they've got the same as here: one who doesn't see any text in the Journal, the other one seems to be getting some ("a little bit after the end of the tutorial", after having played for "about one hour").

I read on the DS forum that you have to select the location before you can see the quests. Did you do this?

I read on the DS forum that you have to select the location before you can see the quests. Did you do this?

As I said in my first post:
In fact there's no text whatsoever in Current, Completed, Trader or Trainer. No information in World, Harbor town, Volcano Keep, Bandit Camp, All.

As I said in my second post:
Installed the game on husbands PC: text in Journal! Right at the beginning, on the beach it already says you'll have to look for survivors.
Copied my saved games to his PC. All the info I'm missing on my PC is available on his PC. On his I can read all the quests I have done and the quests I'll yet have to do, including info in the Region Map. (...) Why isn't possible to get the same info on a good system like mine?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why but the issue seems to have gone for me. One thing I did is change a setting in the nVidia control panel (I have a GTX 260 + latest official driver 190.62). I turned "Ambient Occlusion" off under the Global Settings and I forced VSync to be "on" since I wanted to get rid of or at least decrease the (to my eyes) rather unsteady image (flickering/tearing).
Now there is still one quest from very early in the game in the "Done" category where I'm not getting any text but all other quest log entries do show the corresponding dialogue records now.

One thing I did is change a setting in the nVidia control panel (I have a GTX 260 + latest official driver 190.62). I turned "Ambient Occlusion" off under the Global Settings and I forced VSync to be "on" since I wanted to get rid of or at least decrease the (to my eyes) rather unsteady image (flickering/tearing).

Good for you!

I seem to have no setting called 'Ambient Occlusion', I can't find it.
I changed theVsync to be 'on'. No effect, i.e. no text in any tab of the Journal. Alas.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Just want to make sure people realize that quests show up per location, so you have to click on the icons relating to where you got the quest.

some early quests don't have any quest text, just the title telling you what to do.

Good for you!

I seem to have no setting called 'Ambient Occlusion', I can't find it.
I changed theVsync to be 'on'. No effect, i.e. no text in any tab of the Journal. Alas.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Hmm.. you mean you have no "Ambient Occlusion" on/off setting when you go to "Manage 3D Settings" in the nVidia control panel? It's the first item in "Global Settings" for me actually, right above "Anisotropic Filtering" (which I have set to application-controlled).
If you don't have that setting then it may depend on the so called CoolBits tweak which used to grant access to additional settings in the nVidia driver. I thought that it was outdated by now and have just been using it out of habit but maybe that "Ambient Occlusion" setting is one of those items you only get access to with CoolBits enabled.
To enable CoolBits you need to open the registry (Run -> regedit). Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak . Now right-click and select "New". Choose "DWORD (32-bit) Value" from the list (or just DWORD if you "only" have a 32-bit OS). Hit "Enter" to edit the newly created DWORD entry. Rename it to "CoolBits" (case-sensitive I think so please pay attention to spelling it exactly like that), then hit "enter" again to assign a value and enter "3". Then restart your system and see if you have any additional options in the control panel now.

ok guys i got a solution for this problem
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/risen/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-51592708&pid=952152
basicly u have to change size of ur general typeface in windows options becouse u got 125% probobly or higher so just get it on 100% u will have to log off for settings to change and u will have text in journal, of course ur typeface in whole windows will be smaller untill some patch released so change comes with some price
u have to go to(i got windows 7) Control Panel-Appearance and personalization-display and change text size to 100%(defalult)
hope i helped :)

To enable CoolBits you need to open the registry (Run -> regedit). Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak . Now right-click and select "New". Choose "DWORD (32-bit) Value" from the list (or just DWORD if you "only" have a 32-bit OS). Hit "Enter" to edit the newly created DWORD entry. Rename it to "CoolBits" (case-sensitive I think so please pay attention to spelling it exactly like that), then hit "enter" again to assign a value and enter "3". Then restart your system and see if you have any additional options in the control panel now.

Thanks Moriendor, I appreciated your input.

I did all that, no effect, i.e. no text in Journal. After the restart I made JPGs of my registry and NVIDIA settings and I wanted to upload them so you'd be able to take a look at them when I saw the next post. Tried that first before uploading…

ok guys i got a solution for this problem
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/risen/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-51592708&pid=952152
basicly u have to change size of ur general typeface in windows options becouse u got 125% probobly or higher so just get it on 100% u will have to log off for settings to change and u will have text in journal, of course ur typeface in whole windows will be smaller untill some patch released so change comes with some price
u have to go to(i got windows 7) Control Panel-Appearance and personalization-display and change text size to 100%(defalult)
hope i helped :)

It worked, it worked! There's text in the Journal! I can see the current quests and the quests I have completed, and the trainers I've met, and… Oh, I'm so excited. You should be made Deep Silver/Piranha Bytes employee of the month! :)

I have XP. Here's what I changed:
Settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Font Size: set to Normal*. It had immediate effect. No logging off or restart was necessary, but I'm the only user.

*Font size used to be large.

Thanks, Regirs. Thanks for taking the trouble of registering, becoming a member of RPGWatch, and mentioning this. Playing the game will be so much easier now… I could kiss you! :kiss:

And yes, I do hope there will be a patch that will fix this… So, if anyone of Risen, Deep Silver, Piranha Bytes or Koch Media is reading this, a patch would be most welcome!

Last edited:
By now off topic: "Manage 3D Settings" in the nVidia control panel.

@Moriendor

After changing the registry and adding a DWORD entry named "CoolBits" and giving it a value "3", just like you said, I still did not have an "Ambient Occlusion" on/off setting. I forgot to mention this before, as I wrote:
I did all that, no effect, i.e. no text in Journal.

But it had to be: "I did all that, no effect, i.e. no text in Journal and still no setting "Ambient Occlusion" in the nVidia control panel.

You mentioned:
I thought that it was outdated by now and have just been using it out of habit but maybe that "Ambient Occlusion" setting is one of those items you only get access to with CoolBits enabled.

So maybe enabling CoolBits doesn't have anything to do with it, maybe it IS outdated, right? (I wouldn't know, I had never heard of CoolBits, did not know I could enable it, do I have HotBits as well? ;) )

Back
Top Bottom