Darkest Dungeon Questions

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
All right everyone Red Hook Studios has agreed to do an interview with our site. I'm looking for questions so here is your chance. Everyone has till Friday to submit there questions I will ask.

This will help with my short length of my previous interviews.^^

Thanks for hearing, I'm really interested in this game, so I'll give it a thought and post here. :)

Question (1)
Roguelikes work often with

a) permadeath
b) generated dungeons

Darkest Dungeon, too?

Question (2)
What is in your eyes the
a) best feature
b) most unique feature
of Darkest Dungeon?

Question (3)
Name your top 3 CRPGs

This is great! Hmm, will have to think of a few good questions…

Question (1)
Roguelikes work often with

a) permadeath
b) generated dungeons

Darkest Dungeon, too?
IIRC, these have already been answered in their KS comments (or thereabouts). AFAIK, the answers would go something like this:

a) Yes, but you'll have a roster of characters, c. 16-20 total, so one death (or ten) isn't necessarily game over. Think of X-Com.
b) Yes, but each has its own "theme" and difficulty level, so it's not completely random. They're also toying with an idea of having some fixed (i.e. handmade) parts inside the generated dungeon; but for the most part they're going to be randomly generated.

This should be asked in all interviews:).

My question what will be length of runs will they be short like FTL or more of length of full campaign.
Well I will from now on so don't worry.;)

I have two others were it's to late to redo them. So one will be short, but don't worry as the other one is longer.:)

Yeah this thread is a good (felipepepe's) idea :)

I'd have to go through their updates again (was abroad for most of them so didn't read too carefully), but mine would have to be about their character and skill systems. They look kinda lite on the screens ?

Will come back to you tomorrow with an actual question I hope :)

Ok, just had time to skim the info on the KS site, but I see no mention of the actual RPG systems anywhere. So my question would be:

"
Could you tell us something about your character progression system? In the screen we can only see 6 "stats" (atk,dmg,crit,def,prot,spd). Will leveling up allow us to assign points to some of those directly (some should be tied to equipment too obviously)? Are there weapon skills and/or equipment restrictions per class? What can we expect in terms of skill number and variety per class? Are there skill tress we have to follow while leveling up or is there a more flat distribution of skills per class i.e. are there any requirements/restrictions on skill choice while leveling your character?

"

I know that is a bit so pick and choose whatever you feel like (if any at all) Couch ;)

I'd like to steal from HiddenX a bit and ask them what they think their most innovative skill or system example is (and also ask for more nice examples of camping skills and equipment too!) but I believe those are covered by other questions and/or the info on the KS site.

Looking forward to this interview :)

I second the question that Nameless one suggested. How roguelike will it be?

Will there be an option to view a window with a scrolling log of events, dice rolls, flavor text? (I haven't heard about this in the KS campaign, but maybe someone else has heard of such a feature?)

It would be neat if you could save the log (text file) and have it tell the story of your run through, your adventure. (Just thinking out load)

Look forward to the interview

Their kickstarter is very informative, there wasn't many questions I could think of. So I did a collection of the ones I liked from this thread, plus one of mine:

- Will fights always be of 1-4 enemies, with a formation of 2 in the front row and 2 on the back, or we might see some surprises?

- Please give some details about your progression system. How much freedom players have to customize their characters, in terms of attributes, perks and equipment?

- Can you give us an example of skills, equipment or events that you think are innovative?

- What's the intended play length? A short campaign that's easy to fail, like FTL, or a long descent into madness that few players will ever see the end, like more traditional roguelikes?

- Finally, name your top 3 CRPGs. You WILL be judged. ;)

Thanks for the questions guys most of them are in the interview. I should have the interview ready to post next week. Lets say Wednesday at the latest.

This forum really needs a "brofist"...

Thanks Couch!

SlbkSsO.jpg

for further use:
http://i.imgur.com/SlbkSsO.jpg

Damn, I forgot all about this! Well, here's something I hashed together quickly, just in case there's still time to squeeze in a few questions. Here goes:

- How long will the individual dungeons be, i.e. how long would it take to clear a dungeon (approximately)? An hour, two? (Not counting the last, Darkest Dungeon.)

- If we leave (read: flee) a dungeon before clearing it completely, can we return to it again and do we keep our progress or will dungeons always reset after you leave them (and, in effect, get generated again from the scratch)?

- As asked above, more info on the character skills and progression would be appreciated. IIRC, you said characters don't necessarily gain XP in the dungeons, but they gain Resolve(?), which is the measure of their "advancement" and allows them to withstand greater horrors (and thus brave more difficult dungeons). But how will the characters advance in skills/abilities? Will they only be tied by money, i.e. you buy skill advances, plain and simple. Or will there be other requisites or limitations?

- In addition, on the UI there's room for only 4 active skills/abilities per character (the 5th slot taken by the 'change position' command), will there be more skills available per character than that? I understand there will be different skills for combat and camping, but will we have more than 4 combat skills and more than 4 camping skills per character class, thus making us choose which skills to use and which to leave unslotted?

- How much variety will there be with regards to equippable gear? Not meaning full Diablo-like item bonanza, but I'm hoping to have a some variety of equipment to loot and buy. Also, will most of the equipment be class restricted (I suspect only Highwaymen can use pistols, for example)? How much of the "good stuff" will we have only as loot from the dungeons or can we get proper gear from vendors in the hamlet too?

(Here's hoping Couch didn't send the questions already. He said we had time until Friday, it's not Friday yet in the States so surely I made it in time. Pretty please!)

- Will fights always be of 1-4 enemies, with a formation of 2 in the front row and 2 on the back, or we might see some surprises?
There's been examples of individual enemies taking more than one row, e.g. a big skeleton occupying two rows, and there's been pictures of giant monsters easily taking all 4 rows by themselves. So, I guess it's safe to assume there will be surprises. ;)

Questions sent already sorry.:blush: The developers were wondering about the interview. After talking to them by e-mail they want the article posted on Monday.

Now I'm going to be busy at work for next three days. I will still do the news updates though, and find time to write the interview.

So as a recap my last interview for Saga Heroes tonight, followed by this interview. Then we have Corwin's review for Eschalon: Book III.:)

PS- (Don't worry Lurking Grue some of what you asked is part of the questions.)

Update - The interview is ready check back on Monday everyone.

Last edited:
Anyone know what their approach to saving games is? I expect someone has asked that somewhere already.

6 days to go, hopefully contributions will pick up a bit - would be nice to see it at least go over 300k.

Looking forward to the interview!

Back
Top Bottom