Runemaster - Development Diary #6

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Paradox released the next Development Diary for Runemaster on their forums. This time we get informaion on the games worldmap, and exploration.

Developer diary 6 - Worldmap and Exploration

Welcome to the 6th developer diary for Runemaster. Today we’re going to tell you more about exploring the worlds in the game. Details on each of the different worlds will come in future dev diaries, so today we’ll just focus on how the world is generated and how you explore it within the game.

Procedural Worlds

We’ve said before that our worlds are procedurally generated, but what does that mean?

Initially, we made a procedural landscape made of mountains, plains, highlands and ocean, and we simulated rainfall and placed rivers, swamps forests and arid areas accordingly. Cities, bandit camps, iron mines, farms and other locations were placed based on factors like the availability of fresh water, proximity to the ocean, presence of mountain passes and more. The result was cool, and it could have looked good if it wasn’t done with programmer art and random assets from CK2, but didn't work for the game we wanted to make. We’re making a role-playing game, not a grand strategy game, and while we had some control over the gameplay aspects of this world, we didn't have enough.

It wasn't an easy decision, but, as the saying goes, sometimes you have to kill your darlings, be it in writing literature or making software.

Back to the drawing board

So making a “realistic” world wouldn't give us the world we thought we needed, but what did we really need? What are the design goals of a Runemaster world? First of all, we needed a world that would support our quests, especially our main quest line. This means one that is plausible, that works with the quest arcs and that has the right sizes and distances to have the quests make sense. Secondly we wanted to be able to create memorable locations that allowed for exploration - we want the worlds to vary because that’s important for replayability but each playthrough has to create something meaningful in regards to the setting. And thirdly, we wanted to be able to control the flow of the game in some way. The world generation needed to be consistent in creating the worlds we wanted. Every player needs to get a world that gives a great gaming experience!

Exploration

At the start, the world is unknown to you and there’s only one way to unveil its secrets. You have to travel the lands and meet its inhabitants, see its monuments and plunder its riches (if your character fancies riches, that is). Some places are connected by roads and others you have to reach by moving through forests, spiky rocks or along the shore of a poisoned lake. Every player will have to do some exploring, even if it just means going wherever the quests tell you to go, but if you find exploration interesting, there will be areas that are more hidden and off the beaten path of the main quest. Here you will find side quests, lore, loot or just an unexpected encounter. This will be especially true for the worlds in which you didn't start your journey and you’ll choose which you’ll delve deeper into.
More information.

I'll be interested to see how this works. I've found procedurely developed worlds work fine as dungeon crawlers. However, few I have seen really encourage exploration.

I'll be interested to see how this works. I've found procedurely developed worlds work fine as dungeon crawlers. However, few I have seen really encourage exploration.

Well then you mean dungeon crawlers that worth only for combats, because dungeon are a great context for making great exploration.

I'm not fan of non hand crafted worlds/combats but eventually Diablo 2 did a great job in dungeons, poor in outdoor. Torchlight 2 did a relatively good job in dungeons and outdoor but with a random/variation level a bit low.

But there's very few chance I don't buy this game, despite the focus on non hand crafted areas/combats.

For me exploration means that I gain a benefit I would not by looking outside the main quest areas. A good example for me are the Elder scroll games and Might and Magic games. You could find unique items, special boosts, little interesting quests, hidden treasure, crafting materials, spellbooks, whatever by going off the beaten path. I can't remember this being the case in most procedurely generated worlds. Loot is often random but not any more interesting than what you would find anyways, and there is rarely anything unique or interesting which rewards exploration.

Exploration isn't the rewards but how you get them, it's also what you are saying in your post but you focus your arguing on the reward quality.

There's various points, some exploration rewards related to story element will fail have good variations. The only variation will be how/where to find it. Secrets, I mean secrets with hints are typical exploration stuff when they aren't a pure puzzle. It doesn't matter if the reward isn't that good as soon as it is fair and the secret design good. Mildly hidden stuff are another typical exploration element, a classic is corners you hardly notice then hardly dig. Again the reward is secondary it must only be here. I can go on with more examples but the point is I think it's not a problem of reward but it's just very difficult to procedurally generate secrets, hidden stuff and more, and even impossible for story stuff (let forgot the ridiculous quests generated that as quest are just few variations of basic quests, take the sword, take the axe, woo two variation... No). And then Diablo 2 did that well in dungeons, secrets, mildly hidden stuff, use of corners, and some more. And Torchlight 2 did a relatively good job too not as good in dungeons, better in outdoor.

Back
Top Bottom