Torment: Tides of Numenera - Interview at Dagon's Lair

Brother None, I know what you mean (i.e not a full blown sequel) but spiritual successor is also called a spiritual sequel. A spiritual successor is a 'sequel of sorts' or subcategory of sequel so they are not wrong just less precise in terms of definition. There is no wrong in calling it either unless it's for legal terms.
First of all, thanks for skipping my post, pal. :p
Second, what you write here is pure semantics. Deliberately misinterpreting or misplacing the intent of InXile is actually misleading to readers no?

If InXile don't want it seen that way they should stop mentioning PST in interviews and hiring Planescape people to work on the game, oh, and calling it Torment.

Sorry, but no. It's up to the individual to not deliberately misread and misinterpret what is actually intended. Obviously gaming media plays a role also to ensure myths don't get perpetuated. However, I've read nothing so far to infer InXile are making an actual sequel. It's both presumptuous and reaching at best to make this conclusion.

Furthermore, since when do sequels have to be related in terms of narrative? Look at, say, the Final Fantasy games. .

I don't think most people would call FF games sequels except in the case of things like FFX-2.

From the Oxford dictionary: a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one.

So, yes a sequel can be thematically linked but in the case of this title the themes are so high level (life/rebirth) that it would be reaching a bit to call it a sequel. I.e. It would be like calling Magician a sequel to Lord of the rings, or star wars a sequel to star trek.

Spiritual successor is the right word in my opinion.

Furthermore, since when do sequels have to be related in terms of narrative? Look at, say, the Final Fantasy games. None of the mainline games are connected at all. In video games, a sequel often refers to a continuation of gaming mechanics/style/approach rather than a narrative sequel. I'm not sure why this couldn't apply here. It's true that I can't think of any notable exceptions in Western-style PC RPGs, but it still happens, even in narrative-heavy Eastern-style console RPGs.

The Final Fantasy games may not be direct sequels in terms of plot, but they are connected in a lot of ways. Many of the same items, monsters, weapons & armors, music, etc., are consistent throughout the series.

I don't buy that just having similar mechanics or style is enough to consider something a sequel. For example, I don't consider Bioshock to be a sequel to System Shock, and I don't think many people would.

It's a spiritual successor, and I think it's important to make that distinction.

It's a spiritual successor, and I think it's important to make that distinction.

Yes. And inXile agrees. Just important to communicate clearly so people don't expect it to be something it's not.

I can't stop you calling it a sequel if you want to, woges. It's just a correction, and it is more accurate not to call it a sequel, especially if you don't use "spiritual". Not much to debate there.

I'm pretty psyched for this as the Numenera setting looks like it will be fascinating to play in.

Check out some of the great preview art they've been showing on the official Numenera (tabletop RPG) site lately:
http://www.numenera.com/numenera-art/

This setting will be non-traditional fantasy for sure, more of a science fantasy / sci-fi hybrid.

I'm pretty psyched for this as the Numenera setting looks like it will be fascinating to play in.

Check out some of the great preview art they've been showing on the official Numenera (tabletop RPG) site lately:
http://www.numenera.com/numenera-art/

This setting will be non-traditional fantasy for sure, more of a science fantasy / sci-fi hybrid.

The stuff of bad dreams. I'm intrigued. This has become more interesting to me now that they've switched to a new setting. Looking forward to seeing what they come out with.

Back
Top Bottom