Gaming advice

gaboru93

Sentinel
Heya everyone :)

First I want to apologize for posting in the wrong thread. Sorry for the useless spam :)

Now,

Can you guys recommend me some nice games? I want to play some games but I'm out of ideas.I usually like RPGs. The last 2 I played (KotOR and KotOR 2) were incredible :). I want to play on my laptop because I'm always away from home.

It's only a core 2 duo (1.66)
with 1gb ram and onboard card.(intel 945 gma I think)

I'm open to any suggestion.

Do you want old games or newer games? If you haven't played any of the old classics like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, you can still find them out there for cheap--don't know how they work on Vista if you have that, though.

The latest new game I really liked was King's Bounty--but it's as much or more turn based strategy as it is RPG--still a great fun game unless you hate turn-based.

If you like an old school feel in an indie game, I'm playing Eschalon Book I right now--it's excellent.

And I hope you had a good birthday. ;)

Get Drakensang; it's cheap and very good. Then, of course, there's Fallout 3, The Witcher, and Gothic 3. Depends what you like.

Well thanks for the reply magerette :). I'm interested in any nice game, old or new that can entertain me. I'll see if I can find those two and give them a spin.
I have XP so older games should run fine.

Oh and thanks for asking! I had a nice birthday which I spent with my family, and later with some of my friends.

By the way...it makes me smile when I see how many nice people are in this community :). It's just like when I last came here hehe.

EDIT: Thanks Corwin. Well those games won't run on this laptop hehe.
Besides I can play them on PC.

EDIT2: Whoa... you people really give fast replies. There were 2 while I was writing.

I'll try that out Sir Markus. I saw that the graphics is a bit cartoonish but I hope it has a good story :)

All the cool kids are playing Drakensang....

...but it would probably chew up and spit out that graphics interface. Youve played the Gothics, right? If not, there's an older series of great and well-respected amongt rpg geek games that are bargain-binned and possibly can be played on that rig respectably. Possibly ='.'=

Can you guys recommend me some nice games? I want to play some games but I'm out of ideas.I usually like RPGs. The last 2 I played (KotOR and KotOR 2) were incredible :). I want to play on my laptop because I'm always away from home.

It's only a core 2 duo (1.66)
with 1gb ram and onboard card.(intel 945 gma I think)

I'm open to any suggestion.

How forgiving are you in terms of graphics? Your specs mean that we will have to go back 4 years or more to find titles that run well.

If you can stomach pretty ugly graphics and are prepared to fuss around with installing extra content I suggest Neverwinter Nights with some user-created modules (the original campaign was crap, the two expansions are better though). It was the first title to use the Aurora engine that was recycled in the KotORs so you'll be in somewhat familiar surroundings, especially if you know AD&D rules. Combat is balanced to be much harder than in KotOR.

Icewind Dale and Baldurs Gate are different beasts, party based games with more tactical battles. They use an engine that was intended to power a tactical RTS game (of ca -98 vintage) and offer superior party control. Production values in terms of cutscenes and the like are of course worse than in modern games, but on the whole I find that these oldies have aged gracefully. BG1 should be played with the Tutu conversion (which makes it use the updated BG2 interface) though.

Gothic 1 and 2 have been mentioned and are excellent but relatively unforgiving, you will die a lot until you figure out the controls and tactics...

Morrowind might also run pretty well on such a machine and is fine with tonnes of mods (provided you can put up with one of the worst combat systems ever). It's a first person single-player game with a very large world to explore and plenty of quests.

If you want hardcore but buggy games I'd also suggest Fallout 1 & 2 (the second is extremely buggy but one of the best roleplaying experiences out there if one can look past the bugs) and Arcanum. Great games in terms of roleplaying, but the combat is very bad and NPC control is among the worst around (it is pretty much the same as in Neverwinter Nights 1, with the difference that your companions die permanently in these games). But again I warn you that they probably have the least involved combat among the games mentioned.

I think Good old Games have some (many?) of the titles above at a fair price.

Thanks for the post Zaleukos :). Yes I've played the Gothic games :) hehe.

I'll look into those titles you mentioned thanks alot.

Have you played Deus ex?

Back
Top Bottom