Betrayal at Krondor - Released on GOG

I thought this game was released as freeware?

Guess I need to retry this sometime soon. Never really grabbed me, for some reason...

Yes, it was freeware for many years. But the download is no longer available I think.

It was released for freeware for a short time, actually, then it was kind of pulled.

Wikipedia says :

1997: free download on Sierra's website to promote the game Betrayal in Antara, though this version is no longer available.

Even if you could get it legally for free elsewhere, the versions by GOG are usually delivered in a playable way (e. g. with a suitable DosBox Configuration).

That work they put into it alone makes it worth to pay IMHO (besides supporting GOG in general).

That work they put into it alone makes it worth to pay IMHO (besides supporting GOG in general).

Seriously, you consider setting up DosBox as a considerable amount of work? 6$ worth of work?

It IS work, otherwise JoWood wouldn't have been able to ship the NLT in such a bad state - according to some people who bought the new re-release.

Seriously, you consider setting up DosBox as a considerable amount of work? 6$ worth of work?

Considering they test it so the config works properly across multiple OS, that you get the Manual, Reference Card, Wallpapers and the map as well as the fact that you can download it again any time you like to any computer you own.

To my eyes thats certainly worth my 6$ =).

I still own the floppies. I also downloaded it when it was available. I will still buy it because i want to support GOG.

If this is the CD version then it's worth the 6 bucks. All the freeware BAK's I found were the floppy version. I never had the CD game, but from what I'ver read the music was fantastic.

I've done a quick web search to verify my curiosity if BaK is freely available for download and it is, so is the manual and the map, as well as the patch. it is referred to as freeware on some sites.

I also have the original floppy set, have not played the game for many years, though i played it over and over when it was released. The start file had a command line set to vary several parameters.

The original BaK is also selling cheap on ebay.

I also still have a 486 DX2 66 which runs DOS seamlessly. I still have QUEMM memory manager which is fantastic for games which need to configure extended, higher and upper memory set ups.

Gorath was an exiled hero.........(would you believe) :D

I wonder how hard it is to get it working on an XP machine? I downloaded it a while ago, and have to admit that getting things to run under DOSBox used to take a lot of fiddling around and trial and error. Now, with a more powerful machine, it seems like less fiddling is necessary and standard configurations will work. At least that was true for my recent play through of the Pool of Radiance series....

Back
Top Bottom