Borderlands -playing co-op

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Okay, I talked to a friend of mine about this game and he's interested in trying this co-op. Neither of us has played a co-op game ever. Is it fairly easy to do? I play so slow in games that I've never bothered to play co-op with anyone, but this guy isn't even a gamer at all, so he'll play as slowly as I do :) I assume that once he buys the game, that we both choose multiplayer and then one of has to host the game. I probably have faster internet, so that should be me then, right? Or should it be whoever has the slower internet?

Okay, I talked to a friend of mine about this game and he's interested in trying this co-op. Neither of us has played a co-op game ever. Is it fairly easy to do? I play so slow in games that I've never bothered to play co-op with anyone, but this guy isn't even a gamer at all, so he'll play as slowly as I do :) I assume that once he buys the game, that we both choose multiplayer and then one of has to host the game. I probably have faster internet, so that should be me then, right? Or should it be whoever has the slower internet?

I assume you're both using Steam?

If so, it's incredibly easy - and you simply invite based on your Steam friends list - and they'll join using the Steam interface.

No reason to stress your tiny brain for this process ;)

Hey! How big of a brain can fit in a nutshell? Thanks for the info.

@Dart, or anyone else: Okay, there is a pre-sequel…is that an add-on, another game, a dlc? Should I play it before or after B2? What is season pass?

Play the first and if is not enough of a grind for you get Borderlands 2 GOTY (some of the DLCs are ok) . I for one will not touch the pre-sequel till it got GOTY. Think about the fact that Borderlands 2 had a season pass that does not contain all the DLCs and even the GOTY ver is not realy complete.

To simplify.. play the first.. if u want more of the same play the second. IF U WANT EVEN MORE wait for the GOTY of the pre-sequel.

Sounds good, Strafe. I have GOTY of the first and just vanilla of the 2nd, I think. Unless my buddy really ends up liking this, we may only play the first game. I've been playing the first one SP and it is mindless fun. I suck at shooters, so I die a lot. I'm good against humans, but get smacked around by the skags sometimes. It took me about 20 tries to get through the 3 levels of the arena :)

I've completed the first game and was a lot of fun.. but i don't remember much about it :( As for skags don't let them get close :wry:

Talking about Borderlands https://www.humblebundle.com/

Thanks for the link. I will probably do the humble bundle route for my buddy. He should be back in town next week and we'll start playing then. He doesn't have any games or Steam so I'll have to get him set up.

Another dumb question: How do you talk with your buddies when you play co-op? Is there some type of voice chat in Steam?

steam does have a VoIP system that is used in some games, including Borderlands 2 (if my memory serves). Otherwise you'll need to use some form of external program (Skype works just fine if you don't want to set up a server).

Cool, thanks Fnord. I'll look into Skype. I don't have any type of headset or anything so that's my next question. Do you need something fancy or is this something I can pick up at Walmart or Best Buy? My guess is this is something that we'll do for a week or so and then drop, so I don't want to invest much into it.

Cool, thanks Fnord. I'll look into Skype. I don't have any type of headset or anything so that's my next question. Do you need something fancy or is this something I can pick up at Walmart or Best Buy? My guess is this is something that we'll do for a week or so and then drop, so I don't want to invest much into it.

With headsets, you usually get what you pay for. If you don't care about sound quality you can go for something cheap. Most voice-com programs seem to have some noise cancellation built in, so you don't have to worry much about that not being built into the headset.

Generally, I've found that if you just want a headset for talking with friends online, the ones in the 20-25€ range hits the sweet spot. You'll get a good enough sound quality, and the build quality will be alright. If you don't know what to buy, a Creative Fatal1ty will probably do the job. There are better headsets out there, but that one is easy to find and I found it to be quite good for its price.

Sounds good. I was looking for a specific suggestion and you provided one. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom