Obsidian Entertainment - 24hr Party People

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
GameSetWatch article on Obsidian's (and a bit of Bioware's) party based games; asking if Alpha Protocol will be the future direction for the company.
With every game they've made in the last six years, BioWare have moved closer towards a cinematic style of storytelling, an more immediate combat model and away from traditional CRPG artifice. Except they're still encouraging players to accumulate characters as extra abilities and then leave them in the engine room, forgotten.
Obsidian writer/designer Chris Avellone addressed this point ten years ago when he worked at Black Isle Studios. In Planescape: Torment, a disparate cast of characters, in the usual fashion, abandon their everyday routine to support a stern, violent and naked man with more tattoos than memory.
For once, this is remarked upon as odd. In a denouement equivalent to a detective gathering all the murder suspects in the parlour room, the Torment party members' motivations and histories are all revealed to be deeper than originally apparent. Given their specific, tragic circumstances, they had no choice but to follow him when he asked.
More information.

A good read!

Not quite correct regarding the final fight of NWN2 though
He is incorrect when stating there's a "she" in the final fight of NWN2 that will always switch sides. I assume he refers to Neeshka, but she can be turned back again with enough influence.

All in all, I agree with most of the points made - it does make a difference when your party members have their own reasons for following the main character, other than merely being asked to do so (by a total stranger, I might add).

Back
Top Bottom