Minor Suggestion

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I'd like to have an actual release date in the "Information About" area on the news page. Of course, you're probably already planning on it. Either way, I'd be willing to help gather release dates.

Of all things, why does the release date bother me?

Myrthos mentioned that a lot of the game data currently in place was slapped in there in a hurry so the system wouldn't puke when the site went live. They plan on making it more accurate as soon as time allows.

Either way, I'd be willing to help gather release dates.
Ah, a volunteer, that's what we need. Please sign this lifetime contract.. yes, here. Thanks! ^^

Hehe, seriously, release dates are of course on our "We want!" list. Even so, we are a wee bit reluctant about those, because they are so inaccurate most of the time. But help will certainly be appreciated when the time comes.

Ah, a volunteer, that's what we need. Please sign this lifetime contract.. yes, here. Thanks! ^^

Hehe, seriously, release dates are of course on our "We want!" list. Even so, we are a wee bit reluctant about those, because they are so inaccurate most of the time. But help will certainly be appreciated when the time comes.
Might I recommend going with a generic Q1, 07 type date? That wouldn't require nearly as many updates. Once there's an official release announcement, the date could be updated, but it probably wouldn't really be necessary at that point since the date would be in the news section.

I'm still a bit leery. Once the database gets large (and this happens at RPGDot now), every quarter rollover about 20x games suddenly go out of date and it takes an afternoon to look up any new info and fix them all. Not having a date on the front page doesn't change that, but it also keeps incorrect dates out of readers' faces. :)

One thing we discussed was a small box with perhaps the 5x next upcoming releases. That should be easy to manage.

So, right now it might read:

Dark Messiah of M&M
NWN2
Gothic 3 (US)
Something
Something

I've noticed that about release dates. The last official release dates like to come and go without announcements from the developers or publishers.

I couldn't find it either at first but that's a great idea putting the summary information at the side (thanks Myrthos for showing me where it was).

Not to hijack this thread but..

I felt the type of game was useful but I found one thing about the .dot's lacking. I'd like to know if a game is a "tradional" rpg (whatever that means) or an action RPG. Also saying its a console or JRPG's would give good information as well. The RTS/RPG Hybrid was good info as well as Adventure and Non-RPG.

Either way I know its a lot of work getting this info over is not as easy, especially if it means adding another field so just take my comment for what its worth.

You guys are smart to spell out Single Player because I can just see a new user every week asking what SP means. Its too bad the whole word has to take up so much space though. Maybe you could switch to a character alphabet like Chinese?

I'd like to know if a game is a "tradional" rpg (whatever that means) or an action RPG. Also saying its a console or JRPG's would give good information as well. The RTS/RPG Hybrid was good info as well as Adventure and Non-RPG.
That's planned. For now we only distinguish between RPG, MMORPG (to be able to filter them for RPGWatch and MMOWatch respectively) and Non-RPG. There will probably be a "Second Genre" at some point, given that lots of RPGs have hybrid qualities these days.

Back
Top Bottom