Witcher 3 - Did CD Projekt Cross The Uncanny Valley?

The trailer for ESO is impressive and perhaps on par with the trailer for TW3, but the other two, especially the one for SC2, are of significantly less quality visual-wise. At least to me.

Oh, and my previous comment was in regards to visual quality not content.

We all have our opinions ;)

I think the SWtOR sequences are absolutely amazing - and much more elaborate.

@DArt

In the novel/short stories, simple humans don't give Geralt much pause (see 'The Lesser Evil' short story, where everyone stipulates he's gonna bite the dust against six very good mercenaries, he himself fuels this notion, and then killes them so swiftly it's hilarious). However, at the end of the last novel he is stabbed by a simple peasant boy with a pitchfork, and dies of the wound (even though two sorceresses are there to heal him). He is hard-pressed against the assassin in the W1 outro, so much so that he is almost bested, and only prevails because of a dirty trick. In the W2, the main antagonist beats him many times. Just a few examples.

So the way I see it, he's not godlike at all. But in this case, he had no real opposition. He's also older and much more experienced, but retains the mutated strength, stamina, and speed. It is also stated in the novels that when he fights, he sees things slow down around him due to the mutation and the potions. These people move in slo-mo for him.

Now, I'm not saying that this vid is not catering for a certain audience as well, but why wouldn't it?

However, in about 2 minutes, it referenced a lot of important Witcher material and touched on key topics (who are the real monsters, what is evil, can it be measured, who has the right to judge) so efficiently that few other trailers manage.

But be it far from me to try to convince you. :) This is just my opinion.

I know about his abilities - as they go out of their way to explain that to you in the games.

But again, there's a difference between being a good fighter with enhanced reflexes - to 100% perfect execution and timing - whilst looking like a God in slow motion.

It's all down to what you'd expect. I'd expect such a trailer for a typical AAA mainstream game - where they're trying to appeal to the masses.

But I consider the Witcher developers to be different, with a more mature outset and intention.

If people think Geralt would fight perfectly and look like that in a fight against multiple enemies - then I can appreciate your position.

Personally, I like to think of Geralt as an enhanced human with a measure of supernatural gifts - but he's still flawed and could never have such perfect execution and grace.

Beyond that - it's just too much like all the other popular trailers. Honestly, I think it looks like all the others - and I'm having a hard time seeing what's special about it.

Thankfully, I think the actual game is looking fantastic and that's what matters in the end.

You are all spoiled brats and graphics whores :gorath:

Can't disagree more. In another thread I've linked to another work by the same director and there are more for those who want to check them all on Platige site. There is a message in each and every single one of those.

What impressed me in this trailer was how short it is and still managed to deliver the message. Could Wild Hunt be presented more effective from this? What's witchers' job? The answer is simple - it's hunting monsters. What monsters? It's shown here. In a very, very, short vid.
Other games would go CGI dozens of minutes of hunting monsters and killing ppl all over the place. If this vid was like that, timewaster over "hell why are they fighting in the first place?" action like, dunno, IIRC the last one like that was cinematic trailer for TES online, fighting all over the place for no reason at all, if it was like that I'd agree we're all graphics whores. And spoiled brats. In fact I'd call us all an arrogant and ignorant fools.
Sorry, but in this case, it is not.

For a good game gfx are unimportant - Proof:

attachment.php

Andrzej Sapkowski's stories are so good, I would play them as text adventures.
Cool graphics are only a bonus for me.

Attachments

• wizardry-6-001.jpg
    wizardry-6-001.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 29
Personally, I like to think of Geralt as an enhanced human with a measure of supernatural gifts - but he's still flawed and could never have such perfect execution and grace.
Sapkowski's books make it quite clear that:
1- Geralt is not a human. He is a mutant.
2- He does have a flaw - he has human emotions.

Bolek, Lolek and Reksio HiddenX? You haven't killed Misia Usztka have you? :)

DArtagnan, I agree that the SWTor sequences are fantastic although the one with the grenade going off in the soldier's hand without damaging him was a bit weird.

But I still greatly prefer the Witcher 2 and 3 cinematics trailers. Both were beautifully directed and gave me chills. And I love the little touches. In the Witcher 3 cinematic trailer, I like the gentle murmur of Geralt's "close your eyes" to the girl before he kicks seven kinds of shit of the men. Also you can see the possibly evil smirk the girl is giving the "bad guy" in the noose. And she had just been accused of "murder of the wounded, looting and cannibalism". Who knows what happens next? :)

Back
Top Bottom