Last game you finished, tell us about it

PST is 10/10 - but I would not compare it to D:OS. The gameplay is too different.
Arcanum (unmodded) was a 8.5/10 for me. Great game, but combat was too unbalanced. Fallout and Arcanum are the next relatives of D:OS in the world of games I think.

Okay, but are you absolutely sure it's better than a certain isometric game everyone on this site adores except me… Y'know… The one you get as a freebie bonus if you preorder TheWitcher3.

btw, in terms of d&d, am I chaotic evil, chaotic neutral or neutral evil? Or perhaps just a random neutral neutral loco? :)

To answer your question:

It is better than Baldurs's Gate 1, it is on par Baldur's Gate 2.

You are chaotic smoking lunatic … :p

O_O
I didn't mean BG games! I love BG games.

I just don't love (okay, I hate) another game where you can't return to your inn once you clear the first area!

NWN will always be remembered for the fantastic mods - not for the original campaign.

Something we have yet to see in D:OS ... ;)

It is better than Baldurs's Gate 1, it is on par Baldur's Gate 2.

Wow, big praise you're giving there. If I didn't have a million and one classic RPGs to play through already, I'd give D:OS a shot. For now it will have to wait awhile...

Divinity: Original Sin

You start by picking predetermined two characters or creating your own couple.
Scratch that.
You start by creating two heroes (or one if you'll coop) and waste hours on it. It's fun!
In the end I took a cleric for healing and a mage for some movielike special effects and pressed start.

A lilttle bit of hints and tips not mentioned in the manual (you did read it while the game was installing, right?), some funny chitchat here, some funny battle there… Wait, I must kill this mouse level2, yea, poor sod, but hell, it's huge 90XP! :D

Oooh, a town! Let's see. Some sneaking, pickpocket, this, that… OMG it's so late and I'm working in the morning!

And that last sentence was happening to me for weeks with this game. I couldn't stop playing!

This game has everything you ever wanted in RPG.
A decent story that unveils from a case of a simple murder. An epic proportions world. Nonrepetitive mobs that once dead, stay dead. Saving the game even in the middle of the fight in case you have to rush out to grab a pack of smokes. Rich crafting although in current state overpowered. More than 4 attributes, numerous skills and even more perks (talents) plus mutually exclusive personatity traits that give different bonuses. Everyone in the game is a trader, not once you'll find a legendary item on someone you can buy.
And the most important thing: this game has a spectacular inventory system!

Wrote elsewhere, there could have been a few enhancements, for example keys and cash should be used as a shared inventory, bartering, lockpicking and pickpocket could have been more useful, low level invisibility renders sneaking useless, etc, but okay. It's all there, if you want a roleplay a thief, by all means do so!

Two things I really don't like. One is music. Yes, there are some good scores, but there are more of not very good ones.
Another is randomization of items. It happens on both unopened containers and traders. This means it can happen you finish the game without even finding a certain item/weapon/spell anywhere!

The game still has a few minor bugs, but none of those are gamebreakers.
Also, the game is not DLC-o-rama scam. It does have one DLC that's included in Kickstarter version.

Although finished, I will replay the game, this time with a ranger or whatever bows/xbows char as initial hero. It's simply so much fun!

But because of random loot, nonstellar music, OP crafting/balance issues… I just can't say it's an unbeatable masterpiece. It definetly is IMO the best game released so far in this year and a definite GOTY candidate.

9/10

Aarklash: Legacy

Aarklash is an evolution of Confrontation. If you've played that this is a deeper and improved game in the same vein. If you haven't played Confrontation, Aarklash is a combat (and puzzle) heavy game with limited exploration and a story that won't win any awards. If you're looking for a Baldur's Gate type game, this isn't it. This is more along the lines of Icewind Dale but much shorter (3 Acts + final puzzles and boss).

This game does tactical combat very well. Combat is real time with pause using a group of 4 (out of a possible 8 starting in Act 2). All the potential heroes have 4 unique abilities with 2 possible trees for each move that can totally change the base move. Movement is required to dodge enemy abilities and some bosses have instant kill moves so positioning is key. HP and Mana refill quickly after battles so there's not much downtime between engagements either.

I'm not very familiar with the background and lore of Confrontation (what Aarklash is based on) but the taste of the world given in this game makes me wish someone would make a big "proper" RPG in this setting as it seems full of potential. The story quality is average though the subject is unique. It really starts to seem cliché going into Act 3 but they throw a very nice twist in during the last couple of seconds though it seems quite easy to miss if someone is distracted even a bit at that time.

Maps are very linear with a handful of small detours for chests or the occasional optional puzzle protecting chests. The inventory is very limited too as each hero has 4 equipment slots and there are only 4 types of items in the entire game. There's some limited but random crafting too. After turning in enough items to fill a bar you get an epic item of the same type of item that finished filling the bar.

Overall if you like tactical combat heavy games and aren't expecting a sprawling epic story spanning several dozen hours Aarklash is worth a look.

I'm maybe halfway through D:OS (lvl 14ish) and it's starting to drag a bit… it's hard to pinpoint why, but it just sorta feels "all the same" after a certain point. Also, the combat has gone from exciting and difficult to predictable and easy (playing on hard).

Just finished Divinity: Original Sin. I loved the game in the beginning, it's just a shame that balance issues made it so I stopped enjoying it about halfway through. I think the worst decision I made in the game was to pick the 'Leech' ability for my meleers. It's ridiculously overpowered to the point of simply breaking the game. When before I loved the battles, I had to think strategically, carefully position my members and choose what abilities to use, suddenly turned into a time-waster. Basically I turned 'God mode' on. It also didn't help that the AI tactics are stupid… enemies would walk back and forth, oblivious to Attacks of Opportunity (sometimes I just put my meleers there and they killed themselves while moving away to do nothing). They also very rarely use pets, AI units that can summon should do so in the first round. Also, crafting needs a total makeover.

I was ready to give the game a 9.5/10 up to about level 10, but I'm giving it a 7.5. Game desperately needs a balance/combat AI patch.

I'm maybe halfway through D:OS (lvl 14ish) and it's starting to drag a bit… it's hard to pinpoint why, but it just sorta feels "all the same" after a certain point. Also, the combat has gone from exciting and difficult to predictable and easy (playing on hard).

That has sadly been my experience with all games from Larian. I think it would be better if they made their games a bit shorter, and instead added a bit more diverse content.

Last of Us Remastered - PS4

Wow…. just… wow.

I didn't expect this at all. I thought I was in for yet another "cinematic experience" with lots of action set pieces and a computer version of Walking Dead as a story.

Well, it was kinda like that - but that doesn't do it justice by a long shot. But it was an experience, that's for sure.

This game demonstrates how to make scavenging work - and it makes you struggle to save every single resource you come across.

I don't think I've ever played a game that made me this aware of the value of my stuff. Think Fallout - only much more so.

Unlike the vast majority of modern shooters - this game actually has more exploration and quiet moments than it has action. Ok, I don't actually know - as I didn't keep count - but that's what it felt like. At worst, it was 50/50.

I've only played a couple of hours of the PS3 version - so it'll be hard to make a direct comparison, but I CAN say that it's extremely beautiful and runs perfectly smooth at all times. It's up there with the best PC games when it comes to convincing environments. It looks like Fallout 3 if it had been made with an upgraded Skyrim engine - except it has more visual variety and seemingly endless unique locations.

But that's not at all what's good about this game.

No, that would be the characters and the story delivery.

I didn't think I'd find a game that could match Bioshock Infinite for a very long time - and then this one comes along. It's on par - for sure - if not better.

It's a lot more down-to-earth and deals with a very trendy scenario, which is both good and bad. I'm sick to death of the apocalypse and zombie scenario - but I have to say that this game handles it better than any game or movie I've seen. It's what Walking Dead wishes it could be - and then some.

It's mature all the way and it's NEVER gratuitous. It doesn't manipulate you with gore - and every tragic event happens for a reason you can see coming and it all fits together.

I actually cried several times during the story, and I don't have to tell you that's not exactly a common occurrence with me. The two protagonists are just about perfection.

The heart of the game and the story is the relationship between Joel and Ellie - and if you've played Bioshock Infinite - you'll get a very familiar feeling of a troubled protector and a girl of high spirits. Also, the way the game integrates a lot of simple environment puzzles made me think of ICO quite a bit as well.

But, as I said, it's not a game full of high-brow science stuff - and it's always right to the point. I can't say if it's better or worse for it - I can just say that it works extremely well.

More or less the best character development I've seen in a game as of yet.

The actual gameplay is not what I would call fantastic, but it's solid - and it keeps you on your toes. The developers have done their very best trying to switch it up and give you a variety of enemies to fight. There's a very good mix of straight-up action, stealth, and a bit of survival horror.

I think one of the most effective moments was when I, for the first time, was alone in a very dark and foggy environment against "Runners" - trying desperately to get a keycard to work at a terminal while I had to keep constant guard against their chaotic search patterns.

Also, I will nominate "Clickers" as the most disturbing monster I've encountered for many years.

The shooting is very familiar and reminded me of Uncharted a lot - for obvious reasons. It works and everything about it is high quality - but it also became slightly predictable towards the end, and though the environments were wonderful - I witnessed some obvious padding here and there. But the story of Joel and Ellie kept me glued to the screen, and I really didn't care.

Also, the balance of finding new weapons is very well done. In fact, it's also more or less perfect - as you keep finding new stuff all the way until the end, and you can't quite get it all upgraded - so you have to make some choices.

Some of the story is very predictable and some of it definitely is not - and the ending is something I didn't see coming. But, again, it's the characters that make this game work beyond its structure as a shooter/adventure game.

Flaws? Hmm… Well, there are a few. The AI is pretty good - but can't match Bioshock Infinite when it comes to combat and movement behavior for the girl. You'll see some awkward stuff like Ellie moving around right in front of enemies without them seeing anything - because you're the one sneaking. At one point, Ellie became invisible to me and all I could see was grass bending to her movement. Little things like that.

The length is near perfect as well - and I literally didn't have a dull moment during my 16 hour playthrough. It started strong - stayed strong - developed in a powerful way, and ended with emotions running high and tears not yet dry on my cheek.

At one point, I was worried I'd wasted my money buying a PS4 - but I can safely say that this remastered version of Last of Us is more than reason enough to get one. If nothing else interesting comes out, it would still be worth it.

Overall, despite not being a big fan of action set pieces and relatively run-of-the-mill shooting - I'm going to have to give credit where it's due.

Play it or be played.

9.5/10

Hmm, nice review. You made me excited to play it :) I just hope it comes to PC and soon

Bought a load of old PC games from a Charity (thrift) Shop (store):

Football Manager 2010:

It works on Windows 7. At first glance, as if playing it as a demo, it's great, had a lot of fun taking charge of a random football team and basically watching AI football (soccer). However, the classic problem with this series persisted in that one had absolutely no idea why the team was either winning or losing or drawing each game. Attributes didn't seem to mean anything, tactics didn't seem to mean anything and nothing in the game explains what it is you have to do to 'advance' in the game. The furthest I got was half a season with one team and a whole bunch of restarts before a hasty uninstall.

Championship Manager 01/02:

This is supposed to be the ultimate classic of the series/genre (I have fond memories of the First and Third CM, both from before this title). It played better than FM2010, but the main problem was still there, the problem being there is zero clues in the game as to how best to 'manage' your team - it's kind of make-it-up as you go along, with attributes meaning little and tactics being pretty unfathomable. I managed to last a good four seasons with one team, two promotions and a relegation, but decided to quit the game when I hit a wall of 'I have no idea how the game is working out the score', and when that fourth wall is gone, it's kind of gone. A few more restarts and it was uninstalled.

It seems to be one of those series which gets progressively more showy and faux complex every year while, each year, losing some of what was great and never changing the really seriously problematic aspects which people didn't like about the first few titles in the series (but played around because it was, otherwise, fun).

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines:

A really fun looking game of tactical military sabotage/thief-style mechanics (but isometric). This kind of game is right up my street. They're like RPGs but each screen is one complete mission (quest) but you have to knock-out the opponent without face-to-face combat. I gave this game more chances than I would most games… but… it couldn't save and it was all in fast-forward - both actual real issues with the game which both require extensive file manipulation and knowledge-specific alterations to fix. And there was me thinking I was doing something wrong, no, it was just the pixels being displayed Harold Lloyd-style. Uninstalled (for now).

Overlord:

One of those 'create an army of evil (Goblins, demons etc)' games. Looked cool, but unfortunately refused to even start on my laptop. Uninstalled.

Hotel Giant:

One of the old classics apparently. A hotel-builder-sim thing. Crashed to desktop after installation. Uninstalled.

Wizardry 8:

Really excited for this one. My laptop couldn't even read Disc 1. Uninstalled.

The Lost Crown:

One of those puzzle-adventure games. A proper one though, not a hidden object one. Like the Broken Swords and Sherlock Holmes ones. There seemed to be a big Myst/Bioshock style subplot/influence as well, which was nice. You basically find yourself ghost hunting in the East Anglian Fens of England.

After the first hour or two I was about to uninstall it, as absolutely nothing was happening. Really, nothing. You just walk from screen to screen (about 40 of them) occasionally looking at a noticeboard or poster, occasionally talking to someone about nothing, sitting there thinking "is this just some kind of tourist board advert for the East Anglian Fens?

Then, suddenly, quite literally overnight (in the game) you're knee deep in adventuring puzzle heaven being genuinely creeped out and horrored by a genuinely scary and atmospheric masterpiece. My god, play this one at 2am while you record the voices of ghosts then take their picture and even video them! Holy crap, I almost had to stop playing I was so nearly shitting myself! Gaming heaven!

Then… it happened. Just as I was fully into it and preparing my mind for the long-haul, bit by bit, about 6 or so hours in (maybe more, I'm very slow at making sure I look/read at everything), the need to search out a walkthrough gradually started irritating. By the third such requirement (the quest directing and journal entries are extremely vague and sometimes outright MISleading!) I sadly had to relent and uninstall :(

Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker:

A very enjoyable hidden object adventure game.

DArtagnan said:
Last of Us Remastered - PS4

Wow…. just… wow.
Glad to see another fan of the game.

About the gameplay, I thought it was really good, and it's one of the few games, imo, where there is no disconnect between what the characters are doing and the storyline. I love how brutal and visceral the melee is. And how it rewards reactionary gameplay. If you're in the moment, and can make fast decisions, you're in for a real treat.

Initially when I played the game, I always tried to plan ahead how I would treat an encounter, and when things went off-plan, I almost always panicked, and died. But recently, since starting a new playthrough on the harder difficulties, I've learned to just try to ingrain a few tactics that I can apply, in case shit hits the fan.

And I've also gotten a lot more brazen in the way I play it. At first I was always hyper-analyzing situations, but seeing the plentiful tools in each combat scenario has really allowed me to play it as I think it was intended. And on the higher difficulties, if you don't take risks you'll end up repeating segments over and over. So you take risks in high-stake scenarios, but when it pays off, it's amazing.

@DArtagnan: Have you played the Left Behind DLC yet?

Oh, and about they keycard in the sewers under the hotel, trying to dodge the bloater, I'm exactly at that point in my grounded-difficulty replay. Hard as hell. Good thing is, the whole area doesn't feel as much of a maze as it did the first time I played it. First time I did, I was running randomly around those corridors, and just too panicked from the runners to make any heads or tails where I was going. I actually managed it the first time out of pure luck. I managed to duck into the side washing-machine-room, and killed the runner then backed away from the bloater, and managed to run back and dodged the bloater just inches (or at least that's what it felt like).
As far as things that bothered me, it was just the fight with David in the burning building. It felt too much like a boss fight. But, man, was the ending to that fight amazing. I just got goose-bumps thinking about the moment when Ellie bashes David's head in, and Joel steps in and she's just terrified and vulnerable. I love the way they fade away the sound and you can just barely hear him trying to calm her down. And if you notice, it's the first time Joel calls her baby-girl. The same way he called his own daughter. That was just masterful, the way they handled that.

And man, the way that David discloses to Ellie that he's actually the leader of the hunters hunting them across the wasteland. Just, amazing stuff.

Oh, man, and the amazing torture scene where Joel interrogates the two hunters. Just brutal.

Another scene I liked a lot. It was very low profile. Just before you reach the giraffes, you attempt to call Ellie to climb and get the ladder, but she's being absent-minded because of the trauma that she went through with David, and she just doesn't hear you calling. I liked the way they broke the cycle of you calling for her, she climbing on you, and then lowering the ladder. Little moments like that. And there's dozens of them.

Hmm, nice review. You made me excited to play it :) I just hope it comes to PC and soon

99% chance it never won't. It's one of PS strongest exclusives. There's no way they didn't sign some sort of contract which doesn't allow them to port it. It's really sad, as the shooting would be a lot better on PC. But that's the way it is.

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines:

Really cool game, really. One of the gems of my childhood. This, the expansion, Beyond the call of duty, and part 2: Men of Courage. Men of Courage is particularly awesome. Still the same isometric, but you can now change your viewpoint at certain angles.

Then they went and fucked things up with Destination Berlin. They tried to make it actiony, and it bit, hard. Then they tried to make it into an FPS, and they failed badly at that also.

Last edited:
@DArtagnan: Have you played the Left Behind DLC yet?

Nope… Will do that pretty soon, though.

Oh, and about they keycard in the sewers under the hotel, trying to dodge the bloater, I'm exactly at that point in my grounded-difficulty replay. Hard as hell. Good thing is, the whole area doesn't feel as much of a maze as it did the first time I played it. First time I did, I was running randomly around those corridors, and just too panicked from the runners to make any heads or tails where I was going. I actually managed it the first time out of pure luck. I managed to duck into the side washing-machine-room, and killed the runner then backed away from the bloater, and managed to run back and dodged the bloater just inches (or at least that's what it felt like).

I actually ended up just running from them all and going through the door. Kinda cool that the game allows for that.
As far as things that bothered me, it was just the fight with David in the burning building. It felt too much like a boss fight. But, man, was the ending to that fight amazing. I just got goose-bumps thinking about the moment when Ellie bashes David's head in, and Joel steps in and she's just terrified and vulnerable. I love the way they fade away the sound and you can just barely hear him trying to calm her down. And if you notice, it's the first time Joel calls her baby-girl. The same way he called his own daughter. That was just masterful, the way they handled that.

And man, the way that David discloses to Ellie that he's actually the leader of the hunters hunting them across the wasteland. Just, amazing stuff.

Oh, man, and the amazing torture scene where Joel interrogates the two hunters. Just brutal.

Another scene I liked a lot. It was very low profile. Just before you reach the giraffes, you attempt to call Ellie to climb and get the ladder, but she's being absent-minded because of the trauma that she went through with David, and she just doesn't hear you calling. I liked the way they broke the cycle of you calling for her, she climbing on you, and then lowering the ladder. Little moments like that. And there's dozens of them.

I agree the "boss fight" didn't need to be "3 times" - but other than that, I thought it was ok - and the ending was great.

The giraffe scene is my favorite of all scenes - and I cried when it came along. The way you're reminded of the beauty that's utterly lost in that world was too much for me :)

I might have to give TLoU another look. The primary differences between the PS3 and PS4 versions are the resolution and framerate right?

99% chance it never won't. It's one of PS strongest exclusives. There's no way they didn't sign some sort of contract which doesn't allow them to port it. It's really sad, as the shooting would be a lot better on PC. But that's the way it is.

I'd say it's closer to 100% that it won't be ported, and it has nothing to do with signing a contract.

Naughty Dog is a subsidiary of Sony.

I might have to give TLoU another look. The primary differences between the PS3 and PS4 versions are the resolution and framerate right?

If, by resolution, you mean texture resolution - then I'd say yeah. Supposedly, it's quite a bit higher.

If, by resolution, you mean texture resolution - then I'd say yeah. Supposedly, it's quite a bit higher.

I mean both texture resolution and overall resolution. The PS4 version is 1080p, and I assume the PS3 version is 720p.

I suppose it's moot though. I'm not ready to purchase a PS4 yet.

I mean both texture resolution and overall resolution. The PS4 version is 1080p, and I assume the PS3 version is 720p.

I suppose it's moot though. I'm not ready to purchase a PS4 yet.

Well the game is awesome regardless of resolution, I played it in my PS3 and loved it for the very same reasons Dart did.

Back
Top Bottom