Arkane Studios - Acquired by Zenimax

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Do you remember Arkane (Arx Fatalis)? Zenimax announces they have acquired Arkane, where they'll join Bethesda Game Studios and id as an internal development studio. The PR only says they are working on an "unannounced title" for Bethsoft but perhaps it's the RPG-ish project hinted at several years ago and lead by Harvey Smith. Here's the PR:
ZENIMAX MEDIA ACQUIRES ARKANE STUDIOS
Veteran Studio Joins Bethesda Game Studios and id Software as
an Internal Studio for Bethesda Softworks

August 12, 2010 (Rockville, MD) – ZeniMax Media Inc., parent company of noted game publisher Bethesda Softworks, today announced it has completed the acquisition of veteran game developer Arkane Studios.
Founded in 1999, Arkane has offices in Lyon, France and Austin, Texas and is led by co-creative directors Raphael Colantonio, Arkane’s founder and CEO who will also serve as president of Arkane, and Harvey Smith, lead designer on Deus Ex. Arkane’s first title, Arx Fatalis, was released in 2002 and became a fan favorite with its highly detailed environments and innovative gameplay. In addition, Arkane developed Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (PC version), and has collaborated on a number of high profile game projects, including Bioshock 2. Arkane is currently working on an unannounced project with Bethesda Softworks.
“This is an exciting moment for Arkane. After 11 years of independent development, we couldn’t think of a better publishing partner,” said Colantonio. “We share so many creative values. Joining the ZeniMax family will allow us to grow stronger while staying true to the games we love.”
Arkane joins a group of development studios which includes id Software and Bethesda Game Studios, two of the finest, most respected videogame developers in the world. This deal further underscores Bethesda’s commitment to delivering premier titles to gamers worldwide.
"We are very pleased to be able to bring another experienced, high quality developer like Arkane to the ZeniMax group of studios,” said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. "Raphael and his talented team have earned a reputation for creating immersive, innovative games which enhances our ability to deliver AAA quality games to our many fans."
More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything gets bigger.

In the dark view, your quoted section is totally BLACK Dhruin.

Yes, it's true. I just checked it.

Good for Arcane, payday for the former owners.

This is really good since they are not with Ubisoft anymore and maybe they can go back to making rpgs instead of the crap that Ubisoft made them make. With the emphasis on Arx Fatalis in the announcement hopefully that means there is a good chance that they will go back to making Arx Fatalis 2 like they were doinng before Ubisoft bought them.

I think we'll find out with Fallout: New Vegas whether or not Bethesda Softworks will take a hands off approach to their developers. Even though I'm a big fan of Bethesda, I'm curious to see if they will allow these other companies free reign to make the games they want to make. I hope so. I think with Beth doing the marketing and QA, there's a chance that these companies will have a new, productive cycle. Of course, if they interfere TOO much, then everything will be the same type of gameplay as Oblivion. As much as I loved Oblivion/Fallout 3, I don't want to see it repeated ad nauseum.

I would love to see a sequel to Arx Fatalis. If it is indeed developed, I just hope it keeps the same feel and atmosphere of the first game.

Nut, you're not serious about the QA are you??!! Beth is notorious for the bugs their games usually have at release!!

Bethesda does a much better job then most other companies at QA and their games have few or no major bugs on release. If you play a large amount of games like I do you would see the difference between the minor bugs in Bethesda's games and other games that have major bugs.

Bethesda does a much better job then most other companies at QA and their games have few or no major bugs on release. If you play a large amount of games like I do you would see the difference between the minor bugs in Bethesda's games and other games that have major bugs.
Tell that to the void in Daggerfall, mate. Seriously though, while Bethesdas QA has become better over the years i still wouldn't call it that great. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 all had quite serious bugs in them upon release.

This is sad news.

I don't understand why this is sad news? It was sad news when they got bought by Ubisoft and this is (atleast) somewhat better news since they have much more potential to be making rpgs again under Bethesda then they ever had with Ubisoft.

Arkane was never bought by Ubi, they just developed DMoMM for them x years ago. Up until now they've been independent.

I hope it will be Arx Fatalis 2. Zenimax and Bethesda's steps at acquiring Arcane, ID and such will be benefical for us gamers. More RPG developers can find funds to their projects this way.

Back
Top Bottom