GOG - Wasteland 1 Now Available

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GOG.com announces you can now buy the original Wasteland for $5.99. Remember the game is free if you were a backer of Wasteland 2. Here are the details.

Pioneer the post-apocalyptic open world.

Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic, a post-apocalyptic open world full of awe and danger, as imagined in a 1988 RPG, is available for only $5.99 on GOG.com

They say that ever since the nuclear holocaust, America is no longer a place for heroes. They say, that it is no longer the land of the free. Know, that they've been lying to you. In the atomic wasteland of the year 2087, there is still room for bravery, justice, and order. There are men and women standing guard to what is left of civilized society, facing villains, mutants, bandits, and monsters on daily basis. When everyone else just gave up, they roam the ruins of our nation's sinful past, and do the impossible to bring law to the badlands. They are the Desert Rangers, and this is their story.

Back in 1988 Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic (or just Wasteland back then) took the fresh memory of living in constant fear during the Cold War, reached for the aesthetics of the Mad Max movies, added solid cRPG mechanics, and offered gamers an experience that would soon inspire a whole gaming sub-genre. Long before Mr. Ron Perlman announced to the world that "war never changes" in the iconic opening sequence to Fallout, the post-apocalyptic grim future was a vision already present and persistent in the minds of gamers. That was mostly because of Wasteland. The open-ended free-roam gameplay, paired with incredibly rich and suggestive setting made a lasting impression on everyone who dared to visit the nuclear desert. With challenging difficulty level and great variety of NPCs, quests, and locations, this fantastic title is still a blast to play!
More information.

I have to say that I am not too impressed with the game. Not because I expected a huge graphics overhaul. But in the very first moments I realized that:
- The mouse controls are bad the horizontal and vertical speed are off, probably because the thing is completely stretched
-the whole controls don't work well, if you press a button you might actually press two buttons at once because the game is running to fast
-you still hear blips and bleeps from the original sound in addition to the soundtrack. They should have disabled that completely

So personally I thought about playing it before, but after checking it for just 2 Minutes I am sure that I won't play it.

I wouldn't recommend using the mouse at all. The game works best with keyboard only. I don't know if the Steam version allows macros, but the original PC version supports them. They are very useful. You need to realistically temper your expectations. The game is from 1988, and it was very much a revolutionary game for its time.

I can confirm that the Steam version has the macros in it :) You have to press 'ctrl + F1' to activate it, and then F1 to end it. It is useful for an exploit where you can trade weapons off of created characters, delete them, remake them and repeat, so you have a bunch of nice items to sell at the start :).

You know, a year or two ago I would have picked this up to try right away, but now that I've followed the CRPG Addict through it I'm really not that tempted. Strange how that works.

Back
Top Bottom