Gothic 3 "Worn" items..

lanux128

Sentinel
i frequently get items that are labelled "worn". for example, i get a nice paladin sword but unfortunately, it's worn and deals less damage than "Wenzel's sword" (another paladin sword which i had to return to Wenzel). i even mistakenly learned the "hone weapons" skill thinking that will help.. is there a way to make them un-worn?

...er, Don't wear it!! :) Once something is 'worn', it really can't be made 'un-worn' now, can it!! Anyway, check with a smith!!

yeah, the translation is a bit off.. it should have been "worn-out" instead.

Wear \Wear\, v. t. [imp. Wore (w[=o]r); p. p. Worn
4. To impair, waste, or diminish, by continual attrition,
scraping, percussion, on the like; to consume gradually;
to cause to lower or disappear; to spend.

Seems fine to me!

you may be right but that doesn't answer my question, though.. :)

the worn items are that way usually to prevent you from gaining lots of high powered items to use and sell early and easy in the game.

There is no way to fix worn weapons. They are useless, sell them.

It is much like getting a rusty sword in NWN ... same item but lower quality and therefore deals less damage.

i get it now, it's just like picking up rusty swords & battle-axes from skeleton warriors.. :) IIRC, in Diablo, there was an option to refurbish old weapons but i'm not sure whether it is possible to restore the weapon to its former glory..

The same goes for the Morrowind and Oblivion games I believe. You got a repair hammer to get everything as good as new. I like the Gothic approach more. It's a bit ridiculous to see an old weapon getting better again and again. That's also why the smithing gives you a little extra -> When you make your own bastard sword, it will deal more damage then a purchased one. (If you sharpen, then you have a very good sword)

looking back, i think Gothic has a better system in place.. after all bandits, nomads and the undead can't afford to keep their gear sharp and shiny all the time unlike, let's say, paid mercenaries or Orc warriors.. this makes the Gothic world more immersible, bugs notwithstanding.. :)

Btw a funny thing with worn items is that you can sell them with the same price as the quality items. A bone shield and a worn bone shield cost exactly same amount of gold.

looking back, i think Gothic has a better system in place.. after all bandits, nomads and the undead can't afford to keep their gear sharp and shiny all the time unlike, let's say, paid mercenaries or Orc warriors.. this makes the Gothic world more immersible, bugs notwithstanding..

And yep vanilla oblvion isn't very belivable in that sense. Heh a bandit who is wearing glass and mithrill armor attacks me with a deadric bow and echanted arrows. With that stuff he could have bought a mannor from anvill.. Luckily OOO does miracles.

Last edited:
Although, truth be told, some weapons should not ever be worn - ore weapons. As far as I know, they can't wear down or break.

Back
Top Bottom