Rampant Games - RPGMaker, Get It Now and a Contest

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In his blog, Jay is promoting the RPGMaker bundle that is currently still available for another day or so at HumbleBundle and mentions the contest with which you can win some cash.

If you ever thought about making a game with RPG Maker, now would be the time. And there’s only a little over a day left, so do it fast:

Humble Weekly Bundle: RPG Maker Pay What You Want Bundle

Of course, whenever I see something like this, I assume that there’s a brand new version waiting in the wings. But that doesn’t make the deal any worse.

On top of that… there’s a CONTEST! Make a game with RPG Maker this month, and get a chance of winning up to 11 cash prizes, up to $10,000! That’s not too shabby! And… while the contest is being co-sponsored by RPG Maker *and* Humble Bundle, there are no restrictions on genre or engine! I haven’t checked the official rules in detail, but it does have to be something that you worked on only during this month (and May 31). That limits it to small games that can be developed in about a week and change, and then polished like crazy for 2-3 more weeks.

2014 Indie Game Maker Contest

I won’t be participating. Not with the Comic Con deadline looming…
icon_smile.gif
But what a fantastic opportunity to break the ice, get your “one game a month” goal rocking, or whatever!

Anyway… there are (as of right now) about 150,000 people who have purchased this bundle. If only 5% of the people who grabbed it make a game with it for public release in the next two years, that is a HECK of a lot of new RPG Maker games. I know what you are thinking. I feel the same knee-jerk reaction. But honestly?

1. There’s always room for more great games.

2. As a developer, don’t be average!

3. As a gamer, be willing to take a risk on an unknown game every once in a while, and share your experiences / opinions.

As always, have fun!
More information.

I think RPG Maker is probably a great tool to give kids and amateurs a way to create their own world. However everytime I see a new release of an RPG-Maker game on steam I am shuddering. They all have a incredibly ugly asian-inspired graphics and the same combat system where you have one background color and a couply of either anime or ugly 3D portraits as combatants.

Or am I wrong here? Are there actually good RPG maker games out there? Some without manga graphics and a different combat?

I know that To the Moon got some prositive press, though it's not a game I personally would touch.

I'd rather see more games with icon-based combat like the old Adventure Construction Set games (I actually made a Doctor Who game back in the day on the C64), or Ali Baba, Return of Heracles or more recently the free but very fun Dark Disciples. Pool of Radiance and its ilk are also good examples. I agree that for me JRPG's are a huge turn-off (I played both Septerra Core and FFVII to completion and didn't like them, so I can't imagine there is more the genre holds for me). I wish the icon based system was as popular as the JRPG one - I would love to see what cool things people could make.

Sweet have been investigating this as I want to write my own games but found this a bit expensive for just tinkering. The Humble Bundle makes it really affordable.

I think RPG Maker is probably a great tool to give kids and amateurs a way to create their own world. However everytime I see a new release of an RPG-Maker game on steam I am shuddering. They all have a incredibly ugly asian-inspired graphics and the same combat system where you have one background color and a couply of either anime or ugly 3D portraits as combatants.

Or am I wrong here? Are there actually good RPG maker games out there? Some without manga graphics and a different combat?

I know that To the Moon got some prositive press, though it's not a game I personally would touch.

Mmh, to each his own, but why do you state that Anime style graphics make a bad game? I really, really despise the graphics of say Balrum, Eschalon or any Spiderweb game ever created, but I wouldn't say the style makes bad games.

It is obviously just a matter of taste...

IMHO JRPG style is a big plus for any western CRPG.

In this case they happen to be asian style graphics, which I don't like AND they look cheap. :p

I wouldn't say that there aren't games with asian style graphics which are good. Though I don't know any which I like.

But from what I know with RPG maker you don't have to use this kind of graphics. They are just the easiest ones to use as they also probably come with the product.

I know what you mean -- and I'm certainly no expert in this area -- but Always Sometimes Monsters isn't bad, though it has no real combat that I have seen.

If you're looking for an RPG maker that does D&D style games with turn based combat like Pool of Radiance etc, you can't go wrong with Iceblink…
http://www.iceblinkengine.com/index.php/iceblink-engine/

Thanks - I do remember hearing about this. My game-making days are over, but I look forward to seeing what others can make with it.

As to other points in this thread, I agree JRPG issue is a matter of taste but it is surprising how much of a love/hate issue it is for most people. I think Eschalon, Antharion, Balrum, etc. look worlds better than the graphics of JRPGs. Antharion has cutesy graphics too, but in a different way I find charming.

Back
Top Bottom