TED: Jane McGonigal: The game that can give you 10 extra years of life

wolfgrimdark

Follower of Fenris Wolf
Original Sin Donor
Interesting. Some of the ideas (those around avatars) I am currently studying myself.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_the_game_that_can_give_you_10_extra_years_of_life.html

Jane McGonigal asks: Why doesn't the real world work more like an online game? In the best-designed games, our human experience is optimized: We have important work to do, we're surrounded by potential collaborators, and we learn quickly and in a low-risk environment. In her work as a game designer and director of game R&D at the Institute for the Future, she creates games that use mobile and digital technologies to turn everyday spaces into playing fields, and everyday people into teammates. Her game-world insights can explain—and improve—the way we learn, work, solve problems, and lead our real lives.

Several years ago she suffered a serious concussion, and she created a multiplayer game to get through it, opening it up to anyone to play. In “Superbetter,” players set a goal (health or wellness) and invite others to play with them—and to keep them on track. While most games, and most videogames, have traditionally been about winning, we are now seeing increasing collaboration and games played together to solve problems.

In case people get the wrong idea I am not agreeing/disagreeing with the TED talk - I don't know enough - just sharing as I found it interesting.

EDIT: I will add that the 4 key areas to improve as "quests" does sound like a good idea that couldn't hurt. I have done a little research into these ideas for class. In regards to gaming there are clear mental challenges that can be provided in games, and ways of connecting socially. Physical would have to be done outside ... although I suppose a Wii could help :p and emotional I think that could also come from a game, with online versions probably adding a bit more.

But overall I think its more about just enjoying life and having a positive outlook. Her ideas of the 4 resiliences and ways to turn getting them into a big game (more of a mental outlook) does make seem like a more fun way to approach improving oneself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom