Cyberpunk 2077 - Interview @ RPS

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
CDP Red's Mateusz Kanik has been interviewed by Rock, Paper, Shotgun on Cyberpunk 2077.
Here is something on the video:
RPS: Let’s start with the trailer. Why did you decide to emphasize that particular moment? Will any of the characters we saw be playable?
Mateusz Kanik: We wanted to catch the atmosphere of Cyberpunk. The moment is important, but what we wanted emphasize is the setting: How the city looks, how it feels, how augmentations can change your mind. So you can see that we are very faithful to the original, despite moving it 50 years forward. You have megacorporations, the psycho squad and the problem of people losing it after too many improvements. We surely do want the characters from the trailer to appear in the game, but it’s too early and a little bit spoilerish to talk about the details.
RPS: Why that woman? A number of people were fairly taken aback by the fact that she was a scantily clad and in a compromising position, which is understandable. However, the camera panned out to reveal that her arms were grotesque scythes, which struck me as making it less about sex appeal and more about creating a striking image of destroyed beauty by way of rampant technological augmentation. Is that what you were going for?
Mateusz Kanik: Why not that woman? As for your interpretation: It is really cool that our short clip created some food for thought like that. We enjoy that people dive deeper and they do not see an “epic, omg” flick on youtube, but something they think about when it’s finished. That’s how we want to make our games – you saw that in The Witcher series, moral choices and the problems the player faced were not trivial. Many people thought about decisions they made after they stopped playing. That’s what we want to do with Cyberpunk 2077. The worst thing I could do as someone behind the trailer is to tell you how you should interpret it. So, no, I won’t tell you what we were going for. It would spoil the fun.
More information.

Just questions answered with questions, and pages of how games are sexist for the thousandth time in the last six months. How original. Nothing of value really.:rolleyes:

If I was RPS I would have considered canning the interview and informing CD Projekt Red that'll they'll be welcome to come back and interview again when they want to talk about the game.

I respect companies that don't do fluff-interviews when they don't have anything to say or can't say anything because they are too early in development.

if i was rps i would have considered canning the interview and informing cd projekt red that'll they'll be welcome to come back and interview again when they want to talk about the game.

I respect companies that don't do fluff-interviews when they don't have anything to say or can't say anything because they are too early in development.

ex-frigging-actly!

Well, the article is titled "CDP On Cyberpunk’s Trailer, Social Commentary In Games" afterall

Not much to info to be gleaned from the article. I thought the following were the major points which may have been already discussed in previous interviews or blog posts.

Very in-depth customisation (a first for CDP!)
If you follow news about the game, you will also know that we want to put a lot of work into character customization. So how you treat your avatar in the game is completely up to you.

Carefully thought-out level design
When designing the city we wanted to give it the feel of a living city. We didn’t want a central plan that suddenly built the city from the ground up, but a consequential evolution of the streets and buildings. Building new floors on top old ones, constructing supports for facades that are falling apart, etc.

Braindances are an integral and problematic aspect of the world
Braindances are an important part of the setting. Everyone is into them. It’s massively popular and everyone has to be a part of it.
Also, it’s a vast social problem, you’ll meet junkies thrown out on the street, who stay homeless and continue to live other people’s lives.

Inspirations for the game
Blade Runner, the Eden comic book, and [William Gibson's] Sprawl trilogy are just some classics that will influence this game.

Back
Top Bottom