Good Ds titles (preferable RPGS)

titus

Substitute Shinigami
Original Sin 2 Donor
I just had a nintendo DS for my birthday and I already own Zelda phatom hourglass and Pokemon Diamond.
Can anyone suggest me some other good games on it?
I have seen DQM and it seemed interested, anyone any experience with it?

DS can play GBA games. GBA has a ton of nice RPGs that are now available to you very cheap.
Go to gamespot. Then choose GBA. then choose reviews.
Then choose roleplaying. Then click the score column so that all the rpg reviews
are listed beginning with the games that got the highest score. Now you have a beautifull list of RPG's for your DS.

Did you read Mike´s article series?

I started reading it. And now I am doubting about DQM if i should give it a try or not
nobody knows out of experience some games, except mike?

Final Fantasy 3 Remake is good and FF4 will be coming out soon
Final Fantasy Revenant Wings is good but more strategy than RPG.
Also good strategy is Warhammer 40K: Squad Commander

Wasn't that "Etrian Odessy" for the DS? Mike about wet himself gushing on that game, so that tells me it's probably pretty darn good.

I've played a bunch of DS RPGs. As was said already there's a ton of them, as well as all the ones for GBA, and lots of lists and guides online to help you pick out ones you might like.
As far as what I've played: I really enjoyed Etrian Odyssey - the option to draw your own map and write notes and so on as part of the game was great, that is, great if you have fond memories of slaving away with a book of graph paper making a complete map of The Bard's Tale, for example. But you also have the option to have the map (mostly) autocomplete itself so it isn't a chore if that's not your thing. There's lots of secrets and things to go back and discover, as well as character classes you might not get to use the first time through... I have a feeling I missed quite a few secrets along the way. Oh, and it is HARD. Fights are brutal! I see there's an Etrian Odyssey II in the works.
The port of the cel phone RPG Orcs and Elves (by John Carmack of Doom fame) was fun as well, if a bit short. (Actually if you are looking for a cel phone game for some reason, I recommend both Orcs and Elves 1 & 2, as well as the Doom RPG. Those kept me occupied during many downtimes at work and so on).
The Final Fantasy games for the DS all look really great; I got quite far in FF3 but got distracted and forget what I was supposed to be doing, which pretty much is what has happened to me with every single FF game I've tried to make it through.
Dungeon Explorer: Warrior of Ancient Arts didn't give me any satisfaction, I stopped playing it after about two hours and don't feel any interest in going back to it. There's nothing really wrong with it, it just felt like a button masher and the story didn't interest me.
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is a pretty straightforward port of the old SNES game of the same name, which I loved. It looks great on the DS. However it is also extremely hard and could be really frustrating if you don't like roguelike type games where death literally could be waiting at any turn, no matter how tricked out your guy is, with no save option. Oh, and of course you might also just starve to death.
I'm excited about the port of Mazes of Fate for the DS, but it looks like the release date has been pushed back.
I also started playing both Luminous Arc and Rondo of Swords, but haven't had time to form much of an opinion about them. They are both tactics games. I think the Ogre Battle games and Final Fantasy Tactics have made me really picky about that type of game; neither Luminous Arc or Rondo have really grabbed me so far.
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass was a really fun game. I also really liked Professor layton and the Curious Village, not an RPG though.
I think that's it.

If you like Adventure games, there are several good ones like Hotel DUSK, and the Phoenox Wright games.

Here's a thread from gameboomers.com

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78886#post78886

where you can find advice on some good DS games. And don't forget the Bioware Sonic RPG game that's to be released later this year.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV (this summer)
Dragon Quest IV (fall I think)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (summer, more SRPG)
Etrian Odyssey
Etrian Odyssey 2 (summer IIRC)
Black Sign (or maybe it was Island, summer)
Dragon Quest IX (winter? maybe next year?)
some other dragon quest ports are also supposed to be coming out
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series (2 recent, plus one older)
Izuna Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Mystery Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer
Summon Night 2 (summer, SRPG)

plus all the ones in txa1265's (mike's) articles.

ATM there are still more good GTBA RPGs
Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls (I & II)
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Mazes of Fate (DS version is supposed to come out)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Yggdra Union
Riviera (3rd, well 4th(?) coming out on DS this year)
etc.

As a note, apparently Atlus published games tend to be made in small runs and become difficult to find, e.g. Etrian Odyssey as I've seen people posting on the official forums about having difficulty finding a copy. Alsom, likely you won't find Atlus games in bargain bins because of this. Beware of the untold masses of shovelware crap on the DS though, as there are alot of crap games for the DS, e.g. pretty much any of the movie "tie-in" games, etc.

Orcs & Elves: don't waste your $$ on it unless you can get it for $10 or less as that's about what it's worth. It's VERY easy and VERY short, I finished it in c. 4h.

There is another article pending release, that has many of the recent DS & PSP games. I have gone to a quarterly format.

So missing from this one (that only covers up to end of March) is the current Rondo fo Swords and 'The World Ends With You'. TWEWY is a cool RPG from Squeenix that is very unlike the FF games. Rondo is very different, and as was sais, more strategy than RPG.

And don't forget Puzzle Quest.

Someone on another site asked me for a 'best of' list ... looks like I should plan one of those for soon.

Good list, cutterjohn. I would also note Izuna 2 which is coming soon.

Just mentioned this in one of the Wizardry threads

Wizardry: Summoning for Game Boy Advance was brought to NA in January of '03:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Produ...dry_summoning/

I don't know if its any good as I haven't got a DS. I'm curious on how it plays so I wonder if there's a DS Advanced emulator around.

Sirtech licensed some Japanese console developer to produce a game in the Wizardry world several years back. The game ended up being a crappy shooter of some sort. I can't recall any of the details--sorry. Check what you're getting before plunking down your money.

I have both Wizardry: Summoning (GBA) and Wizardry Asterix (DS) requested on Goozex ...

It looks like Goozex is some sort of Peer to Peer video game swapping service. Any takers yet Mike? Is W* available in English?

It looks like Goozex is some sort of Peer to Peer video game swapping service. Any takers yet Mike? Is W* available in English?

Correct on Goozex - if you live in US or Canada there is nothing better! And there have never been any copies of the games traded on Goozex, so my expectations are low ...

Just mentioned this in one of the Wizardry threads

Wizardry: Summoning for Game Boy Advance was brought to NA in January of '03:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Produ...dry_summoning/

I don't know if its any good as I haven't got a DS. I'm curious on how it plays so I wonder if there's a DS Advanced emulator around.

Actually, the english version of this game was never released. I remember waiting for this one and then being disappointed when it became obvious it would never be available.

If I remember correctly, Natsume have never actually officially cancelled the US release. The game was for a long time listed on that company website as "coming soon", or something like that, along with some english screenshots (and even the cover) and then one day disappeared without any comments.

The game must have been translated, at least in part, since there are english screenshots, so I wonder why Natsume didn't released it. Maybe one of these days a translated prototype will show up, like it did with Earthbound Zero.

Back
Top Bottom