Witcher 3 - No DRM Promise

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Witcher 3 - No DRM on Release

CD Project Red has released an open letter to the Witcher community with a promise that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will have no DRM on release.

Hey, following our recent announcement of the distribution deals of The Witcher 3 in North America and Europe, there have been some concerns regarding DRM and previous legal issues with The Witcher 2. We’ve seen a lot of comments in various places around the web and we would like to join in on the conversation.

I’d like to say it loud and clear: The PC version of The Witcher 3 will have absolutely no DRM from day 0. Zero. Zip. Nada. It doesn’t matter if you choose to buy it on GOG.com and support us directly or buy the game in box format, you’ll still get the 100% DRM-free experience. And this goes for the whole world.

We’ve fiddled with DRM in the past (Oh boy! How young and naive we were;)) and that’s enough. Lesson learned.

Having said that, I’d like to thank you for your continuous support. You’ve bought six million copies of the Witcher games so far. Whoo-hoo! Let’s celebrate. Here, have some cake!

UPDATE:

It’ll be on Steam; the team isn’t going to exclude that community by any means. Gamers have a choice in where they buy their games, but where CDPR does have control — like GOG.com — there will be absolutely no DRM.

Cheers,

Marcin Iwinski
co-founder / Joint CEO
More information.

Last edited:
OK, I'm confused

Will there be no DRM promise, or maybe they mean No, DRM Promise which I think means there will be DRM for sure. These people are confusing, which should not be a surprise from a company that makes a game called "The Witcher"

OK, I'm confused

Will there be no DRM promise, or maybe they mean No, DRM Promise which I think means there will be DRM for sure. These people are confusing, which should not be a surprise from a company that makes a game called "The Witcher"
Well if your buying the Steam release there is nothing they can do. I will just buy the GOG version, and not bother with the middleman.

Good guy CD Project Red.

I'm just surprised that Namco Bandai plays along with that. But yeah, the gog.com version it'll be.

Incidental lesson here: people admit Steam is DRM. Quite often, Steam supporters deny this device is DRM. But if they see DRM in the Steam release of a game that is supposed not to include DRM, Steam is the DRM.

I tend to go with whatever is the most convenient for me, and that often happens to be Steam.

If it's a developer that I'm particularly fond of though, I'll always try to purchase it in the way that gets them the most money.

It's good for people that care about DRM for me though, I'll get it on steam.

I tend to go with whatever is the most convenient for me, and that often happens to be Steam.

If it's a developer that I'm particularly fond of though, I'll always try to purchase it in the way that gets them the most money.

Do they get more money from GOG? I guess they would - in which case I think I'll get that version. I still don't like Steam, but I have grown to accept - like so many things that we all grow to accommodate (like higher taxes, government incompetence etc)
On that note, Steam games are usually more expensive (even though they are entirely digital...) than the physical boxed copies released here. E.g Call of Duty: Ghosts, $60 on Steam, $50 at the local store. Of course, they are available immediately at release.

Thankfully, you can get most Steam games without having to pay their ridiculous EU prices.

@Couchpotato, Chien Aboyeur:
You can have DRM free games on steam - that is games distributed by steam that don't use the Steamworks DRM package. Meaning you can run the game from it's folder without steam, once it's installed. I'd assume that that's what they'll do.
You'd still have to install Steam to download or activate the game, but I don't think in that constellation we can really call it DRM anymore.

You can have DRM free games on steam - that is games distributed by steam that don't use the Steamworks DRM package. Meaning you can run the game from it's folder without steam, once it's installed. I'd assume that that's what they'll do.
You'd still have to install Steam to download or activate the game, but I don't think in that constellation we can really call it DRM anymore.
Not arguing semantics here but that is DRM. It's just become accepted that nobody cares anymore. Anyway I have no problem with Steam GhanBuriGhan.

I'll just buy another version without it if offered one. :)

I agree with this definition of non-DRM Steam downloads, but I am yet to see a game that is downloaded through Steam and can be run through its executable without the need for Steam be on in the background.

Not arguing semantics here but that is DRM. It's just become accepted that nobody cares anymore. Anyway I have no problem with Steam GhanBuriGhan.

I'll just buy another version without if it's offered. :)

By that definition, a CD code is DRM too, as is a codewheel, and there has never been a time without DRM. Meaning, such a definition is useless ;)

By that definition, a CD code is DRM too, as is a codewheel, and there has never been a time without DRM. Meaning, such a definition is useless ;)
Can't argue with that. Anyway DRM has been talked about to death and I don't feel like starting a ten page discussion that leads nowhere again.

Suffice it to say some hate it. some love it , and others just put up with it.;)

Oh I agree. T'was just a technical comment :)

Back
Top Bottom