Euro 2012

I am shocked at the lack of intensity Poland showed in the second half. It's like they didn't realize until the 90th minute they had to win to advance. And congrats to Greece. An amazing win.

And isn't the head-to-head outcome always the first tie-breaker in any kind of event, not the goal differential? It should be. I can't imagine where a team you beat moves on but you don't just because they scored 1 more goal than you did overall. That's lame.

Well, in club football, the goal difference is ussually what determine who wins. Not in internationals though.

But in club football, they probably play each other several times, not just once, correct? That would make sense to go to goal differential in that case. But when teams play each other only once, I cannot fathom a team that has been beaten advancing rather than the team that won the head to head match.

Yep, in club football, usally the teams have met twice.
In any case, great victory for Greece, while being the slowest and worst team in the tournament. But they gave us something to cheer last night.
Let's see how things will settle tonight. I don't believe Holland will let go with 3 straight defeats.

Superb line from greek speaker , last night : "great tactics from us(greece). We have them well cornered(Russia).....in our side"

Ah I see it now. My bad. Sorry. I didn't know about the special championships rule where the goal difference is superseded by the outcome of the match between the two parties that share the same amount of points. Is that a special UEFA rule for the Euro championships?
Because usually (under FIFA rules?) the goal difference is what matters first and so I thought that Greece had to score a high win to advance.

I thought the same thing until yesterday when my friend explained this to me :D

Group play is over. Thursday is Czech vs. Portugal. Friday is Greece vs. Germany. Saturday is Spain vs. France and Sunday is England vs. Italy. Let the fun begin!

I guess it will be
Portugal vs. Spain
Germany vs. Italy

----------------
Spain vs. ???

Greece against Germany ??? Oh, my with all of the politics still swarming around within people's heads ... I truly fear that Greece will hate Germany forever if Germany wins ... First because of the Euro Crisis, then because of the European Championhip ...

Losing by a superior team, in sports, leading to hating a country? Well, basically everyones knows that Germany is a different league in football, and the only reason people here are hoping for a win, is 2004( except the idiots).

Those, making the mistake mixing sports and politics are wrong and they ignore the whole concept of sports.
I go for a 3-0 to Germany, but, damn, that's why we watch football. For the hope

I guess it will be
Portugal vs. Spain
Germany vs. Italy

————————
Spain vs. ???

Germany. Germany wins the Title game 3-2. I always suck at predictions but I'll give it a whirl.

Greece against Germany ??? Oh, my with all of the politics still swarming around within people's heads … I truly fear that Greece will hate Germany forever if Germany wins … First because of the Euro Crisis, then because of the European Championhip …

Uhh - someone might hate us forever... a total new experience for us ;)

Gah, typically Sweden to play great and crush France... when it is too late for them to move on. It was an important game for France and they hadn't lost in 23 games... so nothing can be taken away from the performance. If they'd only got a draw in one of the first two games in which they had the lead in 60' minute......... typical.

Gah, typically Sweden to play great and crush France… when it is too late for them to move on. It was an important game for France and they hadn't lost in 23 games… so nothing can be taken away from the performance. If they'd only got a draw in one of the first two games in which they had the lead in 60' minute……… typical.

Well at least Sweden can go on a positive note, with heads held high. My heart bleeds for Ireland though - Not that it was unexpected, but they are such great fans, and they try so hard…

Losing by a superior team, in sports, leading to hating a country? Well, basically everyones knows that Germany is a different league in football, and the only reason people here are hoping for a win, is 2004( except the idiots).

Greece seems to have made some great progress since they won their last Championship. My respect for their team has definitively grown - I don't take them as lightly as I did years before anymore.

Well now we get to boooo German national anthem and wave flags of swines
good times !

Before or after asking us for another 100 billion €? ;)

Deserved win for Portugal yesterday. Although I though Ronaldo would just go on hitting the post, and all other portugese kicking over the goal... :p
The Czech were strong the first half, but just died in the second half. Rarely seen such an extreme contrast between to halves before, I think.

And tonight - I hope the teams are less emotional then some fans... If not, we'll see a lot of yellow tonight.

I found the game rather boring yesterday. It took Portugal a lot of time to believe that they are better so they would change to a more attacking style. The Chechs never believed it.

Tonight it will also be boring, unless somehow Greece manage to hold the draw until late the game.

Back
Top Bottom